Status: Thankyou for reading, I hope you enjoy!

Silence

Fourteen

I met Logan in the dinner hall for lunch. It was the first time we were eating with the other tributes, and after my encounter with the Careers, I didn’t feel like mingling. Having said this, many of the tributes sat alone anyway. With large portions on our plates, we sat at the table in the corner of the room, well away from the cackles and rowdiness of the Career tributes.
“How did this morning’s training go?” I asked Logan.
“Pretty well. I’ve learnt how to start a fire. And how to make snares. I plan to build up my knowledge on plants after lunch. How about you?”
“Good,” I said vaguely. I didn’t think he’d be very impressed if he knew about my encounter with Roger. “But I know nothing about the other tributes, which sucks.”
“I know the names of some of them, if that helps.”
“Go on.”
“District One. Roger and Layla. District Two has Minerva and Cerebus. Clementia is the girl from 8. They were the ones that stood out. I’ve been doing a bit of eavesdropping.”
We gossiped some more about the other tributes. I told him how Roger was incompetent with knives, and silently hoped he was with all weapons. Though he said his weapon was a spear, which worried me. Knives are decent for wounding, at a distance or up close, but a well thrown spear will kill you. My fear must have come across to Logan, as he cocked his head and stared at me closely.
“What are you thinking?” he asked. I shook my head, dredging up a smile.
“Nothing,” I said. A moment later, there was a small cough from behind me. I turned to see the girl from 8, Clementia, beaming down at me.
“Hi,” she said, waving nervously, whilst balancing her tray of food on her leg “Can I…can I sit with you? I don’t really fancy sitting on my own and…the others are kind of intimidating.”
I really wasn’t expecting that, and it shocked me slightly. Aside from the Careers, tributes don’t normally mix, especially when they come from different districts. I found myself gawping at her, and it was a good job Logan was there to answer her.
“Of course. Have a seat.”
Clementia smiled warmly and sat in the seat beside me.
“I really loved the costumes you wore for the opening ceremonies,” she said conversationally “I wouldn’t be surprised if you had sponsors already!”
“You looked stunning too,” Logan complimented in a tone I knew only too well. He was flirting with her. I felt a pang of irritation. Clementia, however, blushed furiously and giggled.
“Thank you! So, tell me. What’s it like in your district?”
Logan and Clementia chatted for the rest of the meal, whilst I tried to ignore them. Clementia was a lovely girl, but it annoyed me that Logan was flirting with her. I didn’t know why. Besides, I knew that Logan was a flirt. He wasn’t going to change. And she was attractive in every way. Beautiful. Funny. Friendly. Intelligent. I could go on forever. She was pretty much my definition of perfect. And obviously Logan’s too.
A buzzer sounded, signalling the end of lunch, and indicating that we should be returning to the training hall. Clementia said goodbye to us, and darted off. Soon enough, Logan and I were left alone. I didn’t want to talk to him. I took my time tidying my food away, hoping he’d get the message and leave. He didn’t. He leaned against the table and folded his arms, a smirk painted on his face.
“What’s up with you, hmm? Why are you being moody all of a sudden?”
“I’m not,” I growled, turning my back and stalking towards the door. He caught up with me so he was walking by my side.
“Talk to me! What’s your problem?”
“You! You’re such a flirt!”
Logan grinned “You love it though.”
“I can honestly say I don’t. The way you were drooling over Clementia…”
“You’re just jealous.”
“Why on earth would I be jealous?”
“Because you like me.”
“I don’t.”
“Do.”
“Don’t!”
“Well, I can see you’re not going to admit it. But I know you do.”
I glared at him, but as usual, I found it impossible to stay mad with him. His laughing eyes gleamed and he pulled me into a rough hug. I clung tight and closed my eyes. Time was running out for both of us. A pain filled my body, an ache for him. I needed him. My best friend. My only friend. I realised then that when he left me, I’d be all alone again. He poked me in the ribs to make me laugh, but he didn’t notice the tears streaming down my cheeks.