The Value of Strength, the Value of Power

One More Try

“Don’t do anything stupid until I get back.” Bucky told Steve as they started to part ways. “How can I? You’re taking all the stupid with you.” Bucky sighed and hugged Steve, “You’re a punk.” Steve stepped back. “Jerk. Be Careful.” He watched Bucky walk away. “Don’t win the war until I get there!” Steve called out to him. Steve went and filled out the enlistment form. He was sitting and waiting for his inspection when an officer pulled the doctor away. Soon another man replaced him. He introduced himself as Dr. Erskine. He had a German accent, and when Steve asked him where he was from, he came up with a witty reply. “Where are you from Mr. Rogers? Is it New Haven? Or Paramus? Five exams in five different cities.” Dr. Erskine asked Steve. Steve got very nervous then, “That might not be the right file.” He told the doctor. “No, it’s not the exams I’m interested in, it’s the five different tries. But you didn’t answer my question. Do you want to kill Nazis?” He asked Steve. “Is this a test?” Steve questioned. Dr. Erskine nodded and replied, “Yes.” Steve thought of his answer carefully. “I don’t wanna kill anyone. I don’t like bullies. I don’t care where they’re from.” He told the man who was now smiling at him. “Well, there are already so many big men fighting this war. Maybe what we need now is the little guy, huh?” Steve smiled and nodded. Hope swelling in his chest. He followed Dr. Erskine out to the desk where the stamps were.

“I can offer you a chance. Only a chance.” He told Steve. “I’ll take it.” He replied eager. “Good. So where is the little guy from, actually?” The doctor asked him. Steve smiled at him and replied, “Brooklyn.” “Well congratulations soldier.” Dr. Erskine told Steve, stamping his file, handing it to him and walking away. Steve opened the folder to find that he was finally accepted into the army.

~

I woke up to sunlight flooding across my bed. I looked at my clock and saw that it was three in the afternoon. I laughed and got up out of bed and got dressed, applying my favorite lipstick. My telephone began to ring as I started to make lunch. “Hello?” I answered. “Yes, is this Delilah Grimm?” A male voice asked me. “Yes it is.” I replied. “Yes, this is Colonel Phillips of the U.S. military. We were wondering if you would be available to help us with a project we are working on.” Colonel Phillips asked me. “What would my job imply?” I asked. “Helping train a small squadron, then helping us select one man who fit our standards and then help train him and protect him.” He told me. “Okay, I can do that. How long will I be working on this project?” I asked him. “For several months, it’s more of a, we’ll pay you until we wont need your services anymore, type deal.” He told me. “Why yes, I’ll accept your offer. When and where do I need to report?” I asked him. “Two days, I’ll have the rest of the details mailed to you. Any requests?” He asked before he hung up. “Yes, two extra small green button up shirts, the one your men wear under their jackets. And a set of dog tags, you have all my information, since you probably pulled my file. That will be all.” I said before I hung up. I began packing. I packed all of my pants, and my work skirts. I grabbed all of my button up shirts, and blouses and a few dresses. I packed some shoes, including my combat boots. I packed my tight black pants and my red button up shirt that I used whenever I went on missions as Sweeney. I packed my straight razors in an unsuspecting pencil case, along with pencils and my sketchbook. Once I was done packing, I put all of my bags by the door and made a list for shopping. I made sure my hair was nice and grabbed my purse and walked out the door and into town to pick up items that I would need.

After walking out of the beauty store, buying some more make up and hairpins, I went to the barbershop. “Hello miss. How may I help you?” An old man said walking up to her. “Yes, I need to purchase a straight razor sharpener.” I told him. “You don’t look like you need a shave.” He joked. I laughed and replied, “My husband has thick hair and I want to make sure he has a new one before he goes off to the war.” I lied to make sure I didn’t get strange looks or get questioned. He smiled and took one of the displays and brought it to the cash register. “For your husbands service to this country, I’ll take half off.” He told me. “No, I couldn’t.” I said shaking my head trying to give him the full amount. “Please miss, you’ll need it.” He tried to reason with me. I sighed and nodded. “Okay.” I gave him half the amount and put the rest in the tip jar. Nodding to him I grabbed my purchase and left the shop.

Once I returned home I saw a young man who had a recruit hair cut, waiting at my door. “Ms. Grimm?” He asked me. I nodded and he handed me a manila folder then nodded at me before leaving. I walked inside and put my new items with my bags before making dinner and sitting down with a nice glass of wine, reading about what I would be doing, and all about the whole Super Soldier Project.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! I dont think I really introduced myself, I'm Bree and.... thats about it! Comment tell me what you think!