Status: Active :)

Beasts and Soldiers

Prologue

Twilight
Prologue

The Civil War had gone on for two years. It tore apart families...brothers from brothers....sons from daughters.

And yet...all of them came together during the holidays. A cease fire was called between the Union and Confederate armies. Both celebrated their religions under the same blazing sun and luminous moon.

Under the glowing beams of one of these fateful holidays a young woman walks calmly around the Union camp. Her golden chocolate hair was back in a  bun that her mother had taught her to create from her cascading waves. Stray pieces flowed freely at the sides of her attractive face.

Her brilliant grey eyes matched the moon's glow as she heaved a sigh of relief. For once she didn't have to patch up every man in the army. 

"Fallon!" another young woman exclaimed excitedly.

Fallon looked over her shoulder at the blonde, "Mary, is something wrong?"

Mary gave Fallon a questioning look before shaking her head erratically. "No, nothing is wrong! John has asked me a question!" Mary exclaimed excitedly as she bounced up and down where she stood.

Fallon looked at her intently, "that question?" There was a strong emphasis on the 'that'.

Mary nodded and grasped Fallon's hands, "he proposed! We are getting married after the war!"

Fallon grinned for her friend, "that's wonderful! I'm so happy for the both of you, I wish you happiness and prosperity."

Mary exclaimed again before Scurrying back to the women's quarters of the camp. Fallon smiled and shook her head at her fellow nurse as she continued walking. It was truly something to be asked for your hand in marriage on Christmas Eve.

Her features were illuminated well in the snowy winter night. She could hear the snow crunch beneath her boots. Fallon breathed in the dry air and closed her eyes.

"Hey Fallon!" a male voice called somewhat drunkenly. Her silver orbs once again flew open."Come here, have a drink. Meet our brethren from the south."

She approached the group of men surrounding the campfire. All eyes glistened in her presence. Sam, the drunken one who called her over, tossed her a leather container.

She cocked a brow as she brushed off a piece of dirt from her trousers. It was considered horrid by women and she was judged for it, but she was a nurse that worked in a field hospital. She lacked a care for her appearance."Sam, didn't I scold you about drinking too much last week?"

He looked at the fierce beauty of the seventeen year old that he befriended, "I didn't drink too much."

Fallon shook her head and brushed a hair behind her ear, "you always do, Sam."

The group of men boomed with laughter. These men weren't the only ones integrating. There were many campfires where Union soldiers and Confederate soldiers sat together enjoying the freedom from a bloody war.

"Ma'am," a young voice stated with a thick Southern accent. "Would you like to join us on this fine Christmas evenin'?"

Fallon was surprised by the electricity she felt from the voice. Her grey eyes were even further surprised when she realized that the dashing, golden haired soldier from the Confederates had spoken to her.

"Well, yes, thank you," Fallon stated as she sat down on the open portion of the log beside the southerner.

The golden haired soldier stole glimpses of the young woman sitting a few feet away. He was surprised to see her giving him glances as well when she caught him staring. She was truly beautiful, very rugged. She wore trousers like men did with broken in riding boots.

"So what brought you out here, ma'am?" the southerner questioned curiously.

Fallon smiled as she chuckled at herself, "the rebellious nature of a young teenage girl." Her voice was clearly from the north.

"How so?" he asked further.

She looked up into the caramel colored eyes of the soldier, "I have three older brothers. All of them are Union soldiers. My mother brought me up with sewing, caring for the house and cooking...I on the other hand preferred to be outside, roughhousing with the boys. Once the war started all I wanted to do was be out in the battlefield. So...I ran off with one of my brothers, he helped me become a nurse." Fallon looked toward the attractive southerner once again. "So Soldier, what can I call you?"

"Major Jasper Whitlock of the Texas Cavalry," Jasper stated while tipping his hat to Fallon.

Fallon's eyes widened at the young general, "oh, pardon my informality, Major Whitlock."

Jasper shook his head, "no, just call me Jasper. What about yourself?"

"Fallon Baine, but just Fallon," she shook Jasper's hand.

"My pleasure, ma'am," he said once again. This time with a smile that pulled up on one side. She was quite attractive, with no male ties and a rebellious nature...what's a little flirting going to do?

Fallon was never one to blush, but when a young, handsome Major gives her that sort of smile...she did. She dragged her eyes away from the Major in an attempt to cover up the blush.

Jasper chuckled and smiled wider in return as he held his eyes on her for a split second longer. He then produced a dark brass bottle of whiskey. "Would you like some ma'am?"

Fallon took a look at the bottle and welcomed it. The cold had begun to bite at her cheeks, making them rosier. She nodded and curled her fingers around the bottle. Jasper's lingered there before releasing.

"a beautiful woman like yourself must get many suitors," Jasper commented as he got more comfortable on the log.

Fallon took another sip of whiskey, "why thank you, Major. Yes, I did when I was back home. Not so much now. Now, I get more cat calls or laughs." Fallon didn't miss a beat, she was well aware of the Major's flirtations."And yourself? A wife back home?"

"None, a few beautiful girls wanting to marry a young major, but no wife," Jasper explained eyeing the movements of Fallon.

"I can certainly see why they swoon," Fallon stated charmingly. Something she always had was charm.

Jasper smiled as Fallon slipped the compliment into the conversation,"thank you, ma'am." He tipped his hat once again.

As if on cue, one of the Union soldiers walking by gave Fallon a cat call. She immediately spun around to see who it was. She recognized him and sent an icy look toward him. His friends clapped him on the back an urged him away.

Fallon turned back to Jasper, "that's what I deal with."

"My apologies," Jasper said as he plucked his hat from head and set it beside him.

Fallon shook her head, "no, please don't apologize. You are one of the only men that hasn't whistled or anything. So I thank you."

"You're a very beautiful, intelligent young woman...I know how to treat a lady," Jasper stated only making himself look better.

Fallon and Jasper continued their conversation. They spoke about old memories and stories of their childhood and war history. Flirtations were exchanged by both throughout their stories. Though, in the end, both seemed to value the other with a sort of friendly respect rather than a romantic respect.

And so, the meeting between the two  ended with irony for future events to come.

Fallon noticed the men beginning to lay down for bed. There would be another six days of peace.

"Jasper, before you go..." Fallon stated as she watched him begin to stand up and brush himself off.

"Yes, Fallon?" he asked her.

"If we both survive the war...I hope to see you again," Fallon finished her though. She reached a prepared hand toward him.

Jasper let a smile slide across his face as he shook her hand, "we will see each other again, ma'am."

Fallon grinned while Jasper tipped his hat. She head back to the women's quarters with a knowing smile on her face. 

Little did the two know how ironic the last statement was...
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey readers, I'd like to thank you for reading my atroy so please keep reading and rate and comment:)
Btw yes this story does get a lot better but I needed a way to introduce my character and I do not own any twilight saga content. So please enjoy!