Status: Still a work in progress. Thanks for reading(:

Gunslinger

Me

I dreamt of Brian that night and I woke up in sweats as that dream slowly turned to a terror. In said dream, I was standing in a park. Brian was sat on a park bench about 20 feet in front of him. I called to him and as he looked up, a bullet pierced his skull and he slumped over, lifeless. I tried to run to him but couldn’t move so instead, I screamed; Screamed at the top of my lungs.
When I woke up, tears stung my eyes. I got up and walked to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. I sat at the dining room table and put my head in my hands. A headache slowly developed as I sat and I knew I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep so, I didn’t even try.
I must’ve sat at that table for 3 hours because Scar came out of her room while I was still there. While I had been sitting there, I thought about my nightmare. I thought of the probability of it coming true. It was high. I was not a very well-liked person among criminals and terrorists, having killed more than I could remember. While they were on the US most wanted list, I was on there’s and the US has a whole army, I’ve got only myself.
Scar sat down across from me and slid me two aspirins, knowing that I frequently got headaches. I downed them with my glass of water and smiled at her.
“Thanks” I said
“You’re welcome. How long have you been out here?” she questioned.
“What time is it now?” I asked
“Seven”
“Then I’ve been out here for about three and a half hours” I said
“What? Why were you up that early? Are your headaches getting that bad? Maybe you should see a doctor” Scar rambled on.
“Nah, it wasn’t a headache. I was a nightmare which gave me a headache.” I reassured her.
“Oh. Wanna talk about it?” She asked
“Not really. It wasn’t that interesting” I said
“Okay. Well, I have to get to work. It’s my first day back since you got here and I really do not want to be late.” She said. I laughed as she grabbed her purse of the table. “Will you be okay here by yourself?” She asked
“I think I can handle it” I said with a smirk.
“Okay then, I’ll see you later!” she smiled and walked toward the front door. As soon as I heard the door shut, I got up and walked to my room. I pulled out a suitcase that was in my closet and began filling it with clothes. I had to leave.
I had no clue where I was going to go or what I was going to do once I got there but, I had to disappear. As I sat at the table that morning, I realized the danger I was putting every single person around me in. Sure, I hated myself for having to abandon Scarlett but, I would hate myself more if anything happened to her. I didn’t necessarily want to leave but, I had to. I had to in order to insure the safety of the people I love.
I knew Scar would be devastated and I knew she would try to track me down for months but, she wouldn’t be able to find me, and after a couple of months, she would give up. She would get over it and move one. She would find someone else to give her affections to and they would start a family together and be happy. They would be safe.
As I zipped my suitcase up, I shed a single tear but didn’t dare shed another. I Had to be strong. It took every muscle to rip to shreds the note that I had wrote for Scar to read. I wanted to unpack my suitcase and lay in my bed and just stay here forever with the people I cared about and live a life surrounded by love but, I knew that could never happen. I would have to spend the rest of my life running; running from care and commitment.
As I walked toward the front door, I left two things behind; my heart and the note that has a mere two words. I’m Sorry.