Status: Active

Two Way Street

Mara

Friday night rolled around lazily and I was still emotionally traumatized from the newfound information that they were leaving for a world tour. The night was chilly and it was perfect for another football game. Liam held my hand tightly as we bantered quietly to each other.

We paused by the edge of the pitch and I locked my arms around Liam’s neck. “You know, I haven’t been this happy in a while, Payne?”

“We haven’t even started the game yet and you’re already calling me ‘Payne?’” Liam shook his head.

I grinned and stood on my toes to kiss him, pulling myself tighter against him. His hands settled on my hips and I instantly smiled into the kiss. “I can’t afford to let you get under my skin, Payne.”

“And you think us making out won’t get under your skin?” he chuckled and kissed my forehead before we continued across the field where the other boys stood, jumping from foot to foot like psychotic flamingoes.

I nodded and started jogging towards the other boys. I clapped my hands and grinned. “Let’s get this game started. Anyone get a coin?”

Louis raised his eyebrows and looked at me with those sassy blue eyes. I strolled over to him and kissed his cheek. “We’re doing the same teams, Mar. Harry whined when I told him we were going to do different teams.”

I raised my eyebrows and nodded. “Fine with me. I wouldn’t want you losers on my team anyway.”

I turned to Harry who hugged me tightly. “I missed you the last couple of days. The apartment was really quiet without you, you know. Spending nights with your boyfriend?”

He grinned and I nodded. “What’s it to you, Styles? Afraid I won’t play as hard because I’ll be making bedroom eyes at Payne? Because that’s not happening. I’m in this game one hundred percent and we’re going to kick their asses. There’s no way Payne is going to be able to brag about this. They’re going down.”

He pushed up the sleeves of his under armor. “Good to know you’re with us, Beckett.”

Niall clapped his hand on my back. “Let’s get this show on the road. Quit your yapping, lassie.”

I hugged Niall tightly and chuckled. “You Irish people are so strange.”

He shrugged and flicked his head to the side, snapping his fingers in the shape of a Z. “You wish you were as strange and cool as us Irish people.”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh, that’s definitely it. Let’s get this started. Same positions?”

Harry and Niall nodded eagerly and Niall jogged to the goal post, hopping with excitement and pent up energy. I ran my fingers through my hair and pulled it up into a loose ponytail at the top of my head. “Who are you going to guard this round, Mar Bear?”

I sighed. “You’re lucky you’re cute and letting me live with you or else you’d be in major trouble for calling me that.”

Harry laughed a little bit. “It’s definitely because I’m cute. You want to guard Zombie Zayn or Twice Your Size Liam? Liam will squish you and probably play dirty. Zayn will probably pull out a few tricks to surprise you, but you run faster than he does, so there shouldn’t be a problem there.”

“What do you advise, oh wise Harry?” I asked sarcastically as I watched Louis, Zayn, and Liam talk and laugh quietly.

Harry grinned. “I say we both gang up on Liam and leave Zayn to sleep.”

I let out a sharp snicker. “As much as I would love to let Zayn sleep on the corner of the pitch, you know Louis and Liam would never let him.”

Harry and I stretched out our arms in front of his, turning our upper bodies to the left and to the right. My back popped wildly and I grinned. Harry took a deep breath. “What are you suggesting, Miss Beckett?”

I narrowed my eyes when I saw Liam giving me the eyes again. “I’m feeling adventurous, let me guard Liam?”

Harry frowned. “Are you being serious?”

“Completely. Harry, they won’t expect me to guard Liam. He’s taller and stronger than me, but I’m faster than he is. I can outrun him in no time. Just guard Zayn and keep an eye on me.” I patted his shoulder and ran down the length of the pitch a few times.

“I think Liam’s got that covered.” I heard Harry mutter when I passed him.

Liam stood in the center of the pitch, his arms folded across his chest. He looked pleased with the way things were going for his team. I stood in front of him stretching my arms above my head to loosen my shoulders. “You’re looking rather pleased with yourself, Payne. Why so happy?”

He shrugged and pulled me into his arms. “Because I’m about to play a wicked game of football with my best mates and my girlfriend. I also have the distinct feeling that we’re going to win on my half of the pitch.”

I shook my head, feeling strands of hair fall against my forehead. I pushed him away playfully. “Watch it, Payne. Just because you’re cozying up to me now doesn’t mean I’ll let you win. I’m still going to play just as hard, if not harder, than the last game. I intend to start a winning streak with my team.”

Liam grinned, his eyes closing in a happy squint. “I wasn’t saying you weren’t going to play hard. I’m just going to play harder.”

“Quit your jabbering! We’ve got a game to win!” I looked over my shoulder and saw Niall shaking his right fist angrily.

He drop kicked the football and sent it reeling high into the air. Liam followed me when I stepped right. I feigned left and sidestepped right again, running along the edge of the pitch where ended. The ball stopped just outside the goal box and I spun quickly to catch a glimpse of where everyone was.

Harry and Zayn were racing towards me at top speeds and Liam was still skipping along the pitch edge. In less than five seconds, I’d seen it all and turned, my foot resting in the top of the ball. I rolled my foot and kicked it straight between Louis’ legs. He frowned and took a deep breath. “You’re reflexes are slower than you think they are, Louis. You’re getting old.”

Louis groaned. “Your smart talk isn’t going to win you anything, Mara.”

Louis picked up the ball in his hands and chucked it high over my head, directly at Liam who was already halfway to Niall’s position.

“Fuck,” I muttered. I took a deep breath and ran. My lungs screamed in protest but I kept pushing forward. Harry chased Zayn after Liam, but Liam was nearly there. He had his head ducked low and I knew he was aiming to slaughter Niall with this goal.

Niall bent his knees and hopped back and forth, his hands forming a circle in front of his chest. His face was pale, but his eyes were wide and wild. That much I could see from my position. I ducked low and sprinted, making a wide arc around Liam. I came in from the left and sprinted in front of him, kicking the football to Harry.

His face broke out into a frenzied smile as he sprinted towards the goal, Zayn never lagging behind. I stood for a second, trying to focus my eyes as Harry turned and braced his arm up as Zayn moved in closer. Harry kicked the ball a little way away, pushed off from Zayn and doubled back with the ball while Zayn looked utterly confused.

Louis mimicked Niall’s position and jumped to the right corner as Harry shot it straight back. The ball brushed Louis fingertips and bounced off the cage of the goal post. Harry cursed in exasperation and shot me a panicked glance.

I waved my hand. “It’s alright, Hazza. You missed one goal, it’s not a big deal.”

He frowned and nodded.

Liam folded his arms in front of his chest. “Doesn’t look like you’re winning as quickly as you seemed to think you would.”

I punched his arm near his shoulder. “Fuck off, Payne.”

Liam chuckled. “Have it your way.”

He walked away and I closed my eyes tightly to avoid looking at his ass as he walked away. Harry ran up to me. “I don’t think this is working out so well, Mara. They’re giving us a major run for our money. I don’t like it.”

“We’ll figure something out. Don’t let Niall see that we’re both worried, okay? He’ll lose confidence and he’s the one keeping them from winning.” I kissed Harry’s cheek and bounded off as Louis vaulted the ball at Liam again.

Predictable.

An easy strategy, to say the least. I wasn’t surprised that Louis was favoring Liam over Zayn. Liam was bigger and stronger, faster too. But Zayn was far more nimble and graceful. Liam was clumsy when it came to maneuvering, but Zayn wasn’t as quick to strategize.

Every time I looked at Liam, his eyes were filled with tenacity and the hunger to win the game. I could see the metaphorical wheels turning in his head as he took in every single detail. The slight incline of the pitch, the way that Niall’s balance was thrown off because of his slightly sprained ankle. It was the way Harry rubbed his eyes because he had something in his eye. It was the way I was playing softer than usual because Liam was my boyfriend now.

I let out a growl and sprinted after Liam, feeling a fresh wave of energy washing over me. Zayn appeared in my peripheral vision and I saw Harry, wildly tearing after us. I heard heavy breathing beside me and suddenly, Zayn was in front of my. Harry kicked Zayn’s leg out from underneath him.

And in a wild frenzy of limbs, curses, and hair, Zayn and Harry were on the ground in front of me.

I vaulted myself over them, trying to tuck my legs up into my body. My foot caught on Zayn’s leg as he lifted it up, holding it with his hands. I crash landed onto the pitch, my shoulder screaming in sudden agony.

“Fuck!” I nearly screamed. I rolled over, grasping my shoulder and holding it tightly, only to see Liam still darting to the goal. Niall was rushing over to us, abandoning his position in the goal post.

He slid on his knees to us. “Holy fuck, your shoulder, Mara!”

“Is that fucker still running?” I tried to move so I could look around Niall to see Liam. Liam stood at the goal, rubbing the back of his neck. The net was settling at the goal post.

Liam’s faced turned white as he ran to us. “Oh my god, what the hell happened?”

“Fucking ask Harry,” Zayn hissed, rubbing his knee.

Harry sat up quickly, rubbing his forehead. “I accidentally tripped Zayn who took me down too. We fell and Mara tripped over Zayn and we’re here.”

Liam stuck out his hand, but I slapped it away. “Don’t talk to me right now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooh Mar Bear is mad :D What do you think is going to happen now? Also, who likes the new layout?