Sequel: Our Day Will Come
Status: Finished...and the sequel has begun.

Womanizer

XI.

“Megan, we need to finish putting out the swimming pools,” Danny said, striding into the stockroom.

“Kay.”

The muffled quality of her voice caught Danny’s attention. He turned to find her standing in the break room. She stared back at him, her cheeks bulging slightly.

“What are you eating?”

“Pizza.”

“Pizza?”

Megan nodded. Danny crossed to the smaller room and opened the pizza box on the table. “What’s on this?”

Megan swallowed noisily. “You won’t like it. There are onions on it.”

“You girls sure know how to ruin a good thing.” Nose wrinkled, Danny shut the box.

“Are we still talking about pizza?”

Danny looked at her. She was eyeing him warily. “What else would we be talking about?”

“I’m not sure. You’re being weird.”

Danny laughed.

Megan glared. “You are! You kept your mouth shut when I talked about being fine with Bri and I breaking up. You never keep your mouth shut.”

“Hey!” Danny protested.

“Well, you don’t.” Megan frowned. “What were you thinking, Danny?”

Danny walked out of the break room. “Come on. We’ve gotta get this done.”

“Danny.” Megan followed him, debating whether or not to pursue the conversation.

They walked to the seasonal aisle and Danny began moving beach towels so all the swimming pools would fit on the same shelf. Megan didn’t like the silence. Danny was always joking around; this wasn’t like him.

Once the shelf was clear of towels, Megan picked up one of the pools and handed it to Danny. “Danny,” she said again when he continued not to talk.

“You’re happy.”

Megan blinked, confused. “What?”

“You’re happy with Brian. Happier than I’ve ever seen you.”

“You think so?”

Danny set the last pool on the shelf, then faced Megan. “Well, aren’t you?”

Megan thought about it. She’d had fun with Brian every weekend until this one. He made her laugh and he was easy to talk to. He was smart and attractive and…”Yeah. Most of the time."

“And this fight y’all had, is it worth giving up that happiness?”

Megan couldn’t answer. If she was actually involved with Brian, no, it wouldn’t be worth it. Of course, if she was actually with Brian, she wouldn’t have been dancing with John.

Danny misinterpreted her hesitation, thinking the fight was serious enough for her to consider giving up her happiness. “Damn! What exactly was this fight about?”

“Apparently, I’m not allowed to have male friends.”

“Ah.” Danny nodded. “The ‘friends of the opposite sex’ argument. Every couple has that one. Want my advice?”

Megan lifted a shoulder. “Sure.”

“Let it go. He only got jealous and possessive because, in his opinion, you’re the most beautiful girl in the world and every guy wants you.”

Megan quirked an eyebrow. “That’s sweet, in a very guy way.”

Danny chuckled. Megan studied his face, growing serious. “Thanks, Danny. I know this is the last conversation you want to have with an employee.”

“It’s no problem. Now get to work.”

**********

Zacky descended the stairs Saturday morning, feeling like he hadn’t slept at all. The baby had been wide awake until after the sun had begun to rise, but now Janine was sleeping peacefully. Zacky shook his head. It seemed his child was going to be a hell raiser.

Zacky reached the first floor landing. In the living room, the television was on, volume turned low. Zacky went to the archway connecting the living room and front hall. Megan was on the sofa, eyes glued to the t.v. screen. The Alabama-Georgia game was starting.

Zacky walked in and sat beside her. She glanced at him in some surprise before returning her focus to the screen.

Several minutes passed; then, just as Zacky was sure that was all the attention he was getting from her, she inched closer and laid her head on his shoulder. Zacky figured she was thinking about Brian and not wanting to be alone. A soft sniffle moments later told him he was right.

Wrapping an arm around her small shoulders, he settled in to watch the game with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait between updates. It's been a busy weekend. And I think the next week isn't going to be much better.

Special thanks to:

MochaXtacy
BeenDownThatRoad
All About Lovin' You
MoMo_92
Vixyn Of Shadows
A7X_Jess

Remember, more comments = faster updates!