Status: ??

Unbroken

Flashbacks

“Can you believe that we’re done with high school?” Arielle whispered, her head on Josh’s chest. They were watching the fireworks shoot off into the sky and explode in a burst of color.

Josh shook his head. “These four years have flown by, but I’m glad I’ve gotten to share them with you. I’ll miss it all.” Josh confessed as he traced circles on Arielle’s fragile back.

“Josh, you sound like you’re saying goodbye forever. I’ll still be with you; we’re both going to the same college. It’ll be perfect.” Arielle leaned up and spoke softly in his ear, sending shivers down his spine.

Josh shut his eyes, not wanting to speak. “There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you.”

“What is it?” Arielle’s oceanic blue eyes looked up at him, curiously.

“I’m not sure how you’ll take it…” Josh began, uneasily.

“Josh, we’ve been dating for almost four years, you know you can tell me anything.” Arielle told him.

“This isn’t just something I can simply bring up in a conversation, Ari.” Josh’s voice sounded firmer, as his tone started to rise.

“Well, it sounds like you’re saying you can’t trust me.” Arielle stood up, sounding hurt.

“Jesus, Arielle, that’s not what I meant at all, quit overreacting.” Josh scolded.

Arielle looked stunned. “Well, I’m sorry for overreacting because my boyfriend finds it so hard to confide in me.”

“I can’t just come right out and tell you I’m not going to college with you!” Josh yelled.

“W- what?” Arielle’s voice quivered, looking as if she was about to break down crying.

“I know I should’ve told you sooner, but I just couldn’t bring myself to telling you.” Josh sputtered, trying to reason with her.

“W- we had plans. We were going to go to college together and we were going to stay together. We would come back home for the summer and for the holiday seasons, telling everyone about the new adventures we’ve experienced. What happened to that? What happened to staying together forever?” Arielle croaked, hot tears now rolling down her face.

“Maybe I have different plans than you; I mean this is what you wanted. Did you ever think about what I wanted?” Josh asked, hurt.

“I thought it was what you wanted,” Arielle told him trying to wipe the tears away, “I thought you wanted us to stay together. I mean you’re the one who said forever and always. Is our whole relationship just one big waste of time?”

“You know what, maybe it is. It’s always about you, isn’t it? Arielle, I’m my own person. I want to experience new things and new people. I don’t want everything to always be planned for me; I want to live life the way that I want to, not the way someone tells me to live it.” Every word Josh spoke shattered a piece of Arielle’s heart.

“I’m sorry I was such a burden to you. Well, it was nice knowing you.” Arielle said coldly, shoving the promise ring he gave her on their one year anniversary into his hand and left abruptly, never turning back.

Josh just stood there speechless, not bothering to chase after her.


”ARIELLE!”Arielle’s best friend, Sierra, shouted at her, whisking her away from her flashback.

“Oh, I’m sorry, what were you saying?” Arielle took a sip of her Starbucks coffee, waiting for Sierra to continue.

“As I was saying, our high school reunion is this Saturday. What are your feelings about it?” Sierra asked her nervously, aware that Josh might be there.

”My feelings are fucked up.” Arielle thought to herself.

This would be one interesting weekend…
♠ ♠ ♠
I think it's off to a good start :) Tell me if I should continue?