Status: Not quite on Hiatus, but it might be a while... read the author's note.

Spinning.

My Life Has Become a Boring Pop Song...

When I got home, only the doorman was in the lobby.

“Hi Beret!” He waved. “How was your party!”

I stopped for a minute to talk to him. His name's Kyle, and he's a cool kid. “It was alright, a lot of networking, but whatever. The food was good.” I laughed.

“Well that's good. Any cute boys?"

"Oh, loads." I joked with him.

"Cuter than me?" He winked, displaying his boyish charm.

"Never," I responded with a grin.

"As it should be. Anyways, I'll let you go, it's almost 1:30 already.” He smiled.

“Have a good night!” I waved as I stepped into the elevator.

It's weird to have a doorman now. After my first royalty check came in from touring, I decided I should get an apartment that had more security to it. My old apartment complex where I lived was filled with college students, who like me were going to school at UCLA. The biggest difference is that most of them were undergraduates, only a few of them were graduate students like myself. When I told Carolyn my plan, she sent me to the W Hollywood, saying that I would absolutely love it.

She was right: I loved my new apartment from the first time I toured it-- it was on the 14th floor, with floor-to-ceiling windows that gave me a view of the city from my living room, kitchen, and bedrooms; the kitchen was large and filled with top-line appliances. Each of the two bedrooms had a bathroom attached; I turned the guest bedroom into a studio, then the master bedroom was my getaway. It even had hardwood floors, reminding me of the house I grew up in. The story had 8 other apartments, but I didn't know who lived in them.

As I got out of the elevator and unlocked the door, I heard a noise. Assuming it came from another apartment, I disregarded it and walked into my apartment. As soon as I flipped on my light, I saw my parents standing in the entryway, with my older brother, Michael, next to them. On the other side of them, Ava (my best friend from high school), was grinning from ear to ear.

“Surprise!” They all yelled.

I froze, dropping my purse on the floor. “Oh my god when did you guys get here?!” I kicked off my heels and ran over, hugging them.

“Our flight landed at 6,” my brother laughed. “Ava's landed at 6:30. So we just waited for her and all came here together.”

“How did you guys get in here?! And how long are you here for?!”

“We called your manager with the idea to surprise you, and she got us hooked up This is a really nice place you have,” my dad responded, looking around. “And we're here for a week. Our flights leave a week from tomorrow in the morning.”

“And you look beautiful, we're so proud of you!” My mom hugged me again.

“Oh gosh, thanks.” I blushed. “I had to go to a label party tonight, it was all networking. Super boring!” I laughed.

“Please tell me you're meeting a lot of hot hollywood hunks though.” Ava joked. “You're the hottest commodity in hollywood, it would only make sense.”

“Oh loads,” I teased, rolling my eyes. “Can I change into something more comfortable? Then I'll give you guys the full tour. Actually, hold up. Stay there.” I pulled out my iphone and snapped a picture of them together. “Okay, now I'll be back. Feel free to get comfortable. The fridge is open for raiding if you'd like.” I went into my room, changing into a pair of yoga pants and a t-shirt, and taking out my contacts and removing my make-up before returning to the living room, where they had made themselves comfortable.

“So did you guys make reservations at a hotel or would you like to stay here? I don't have real beds but my two foldout couches are actually pretty comfortable. If you prefer a hotel, the W is connected to this and is really nice.”

“We were going to see what you said, then go from there.” My mom said. “Fold out couches are fine with me.”

The others agreed.

“Okay, well there's a fold out couch in the living room and one in the studio. They are both doubles. Ava if you don't want to share a bed with Michael you're welcome to share my bed. It's huge,” I laughed. “Want a tour of the place? It's not too big but it's pretty nice.”

They nodded, so I began taking them through.

“So This is the kitchen. Check it out, I even have a wine cooler in here.” We walked through to the dining room. “This is the dining room. That's the living room. Check out the view.” We walked over to the windows, looking out at the cityscape. “My bedroom's in here,” we walked into my room, “And I have a master bathroom. Ava you'll love this, check out the closet.” I led them into the bathroom, and opened up the closet. Ava gasped at the size and the volume of clothes that filled it. We left the master bedroom and went to the entryway. “This is the studio,” I told them as we walked into what was technically the second bedroom. “So that's mostly it, I mean unless you want to see the closets and the washing machine.” I laughed. “Oh! I forgot the terrace!” I led them out through the living room to the terrace. “I can sit out here and do pretty much whenever. It's really nice.”

We stood outside, taking in the surprisingly cool Los Angeles air. The silence was broken when one of my parents yawned.

“It's almost two AM. We should probably think about going to bed.” My dad said.

“I'll grab you all sheets. Who wants to sleep where?”

“We'll take the studio,” my parents told me.

“I guess I'll take the living room,” my brother laughed.

I looked to Ava. “Where would you like to sleep?”

“With you, duh.” She stuck her tongue out at me and laughed. I went to the linen closet and pulled out the first set of bedding. When I entered the studio to deliver my parents' bedding, they had already pulled out the couch for me and were looking at the awards I had stacked against the wall.

“I have yet to start hanging those.”

“They're really quite impressive. You haven't even released your first album and you've had all of these awards.”My mom looked up at me. “Oh good, you have bedding. Let's get this bed made.” My mom approached me and took the sheet set out of my arms.

I watched her put the sheets on the bed. Her brown hair was laced with grey hairs, pulled back into a bun. Since the last time I saw her, on the road in Minnesota, she hadn't changed much-- her wrinkles were a little deeper, but otherwise she looked the same. She's my height, a whopping 5'6, thin build. People used to tell me I looked exactly like her when she was younger, but in red-headed form.

My dad walked around the bed to help her. He's taller than my mom, but they share the same thin build. His hair was buzzed close to his scalp, making it easy to tell that he was greying quickly. Years of working outdoors had left him much tanner than the rest of us.

After they took the last blanket from my arms, I went back to the closet to grab them pillows. Handing those to them, I went back to grab bedding for my brother. He and Ava were sitting on the pulled out bed, talking. Michael was built like my dad-- tall and thin, but my brother was more muscular and not quite as tan. His bright, puppy dog brown eyes sparkled as he told Ava about his adventures in medical school. His brown hair was cropped close to his head, spiked up a little in the front. They watched me enter, and Ava grabbed the sheets for me. I set the blankets down and went back for the pillows, throwing them at Michael as I re-entered.

“Hey now! That's not fair!” Michael laughed, dodging the pillows.

“Oh please, you would have done the same.” I teased. I grabbed a blanket off the pile and helped Ava make the bed. “Besides, this is your bed and you aren't even helping make it.”

“I'm too pretty to work.” He mocked.

“Obviously, that's why you went to med school.” I sarcastically replied.

After we finished making Michael's bed, he went to the bathroom to change. Ava and I walked into my room, and she brought her suitcase with her.

“Oh my god I still can't believe we're actually here!” She laughed. “I've been looking forward to this for ages!” As she flopped onto my bed.

“How long ago did you all plan this?” I asked her.

“About a month. We thought it would be fun to see some familiar faces who wouldn't be shoving a camera in your face.” She grinned.

“Yeah, that's always nice. Oh my god you haven't told me about New York though! Please tell me you love it.”

“Oh do I ever! I've had so much fun. And I got cast in my first musical!” She squealed.

“For serious?!”

“Yeah! I'm in Grease! I'm playing Bettie!”

“No. Way.” I was shocked. “Congratulations! That's so cool!!” Ava moved to New York right after I went through on tour, so I had missed her when I was there. She had always wanted to become a broadway actress-- I was thrilled that she had gotten her first big role.

“So do you get to kiss a hot actor?”

“I don't know, I haven't met him yet. We start rehearsals the day after I get back.”

“Crazy! Wait, I know you said this but how long are you guys here?”

“For a week. We figured when you were doing publicity things we could go be tourists.” she laughed. “I've never been to Los Angeles so it should be fun.”

She stood up and started rummaging through her suitcase, looking for pajamas. “Do you guys have plans for tomorrow?” I asked her.

“Well, it depends. If you were busy we figured we'd hit the beach, if you weren't we're all yours.”

“Well I have a radio show interview, but otherwise I'm free. I like the beach idea though.”

“That sounds wonderful.” She yawned, pulling out a t-shirt and shorts. As she went into the bathroom to change, I stood up and started shutting the curtains in my room.

“Why are you shutting those?” She returned.

“The sunlight comes in super early. If you want to be awake in four hours be my guest, but I like a bit of sleep.” I told her.

I walked back into the bathroom to brush my teeth. She stood in the doorway.

“So really, what's it like?”

“What's what like?” I asked, toothbrush still in my mouth.

“Being famous. Is it as glamourous as it looks? I mean, the apartment, the fashion, the cars, being in such high demand, performing to thousands when you have a show.”

I spit and rinsed my toothbrush. “It's okay. I mean, it definitely has its perks. I feel like people forget that I'm a human being though. I still put my shoes on one foot at a time. I still clean my own toilet. I still get bored attending pointless social functions.” I paused for a second, laughing softly to myself.

“It's work to be at the top. You're marketing yourself with every move you make. I feel like the paparazzi is just waiting for me to mess up. Everyday, I have to decide if what I want to wear matches my 'image.' I have to be polite to the biggest jerks, who stick cameras in my face and ask me questions that I have no answer to. I have to make sure I look flawless, which means every morning I have to spend an hour doing my make-up. Every task is scheduled in my life, even eating lunch. I have to be careful who I'm seen with, what I'm doing with certain people, and every comment I make. Even doing all of that, tabloids find some way to take what I'm saying and twist it around. It's ridiculous.”

“Wow. That's insane.”

“Yeah. I guess it's worth it though-- I love performing, I love making music, and I have met a lot of cool people doing it.”

“Like hot guys?”

“I've met some, but I don't think I'll ever date the ones I've met.”

“By the way, how was touring with the Andrew McMahon?” If anyone was a bigger fan of Andrew than I was, it was Ava.

“Fucking awesome. He's so cool. We've actually become really good friends. I'm even friends with his wife now. I could introduce you.”

“Holy hell are you kidding me?”

“No, we can meet them for lunch.” By this point I had finished washing my face, and was now applying the 5 different creams and serums my dermatologist had prescribed me.

“Oh. My. God. Beret that would be so cool!”

“I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he's up to.” I smiled at her. “Anyways, I should go to bed, I have to get up tomorrow for a radio interview and show.” I shut the light off as we climbed into bed. It didn't take Ava long to fall asleep, as she was still on East Coast time, but I laid there thinking about the events of the day. My mind wandered back to John. Was he with the girl he was texting? I shouldn't even be considering this, we're going on tour together. That would be so awkward if something happened and it didn't work out. Eventually I managed to drift off to sleep.

&&&


The next morning, I woke up at 9:00. I wandered out to the kitchen to find my parents in the kitchen, and my brother missing. “Your brother is in the shower.” My mom answered my question before I even asked. “And good morning!”

“Good morning to you too, what are you making?” I laughed.

“Breakfast. What are you up to today?” My dad asked.

“I have a radio interview that I have to be at, at noon, then then afterwards I'm free. Ava said something last night about going to the beach?”

“What about me?” Ava walked in, rubbing her eyes.

“We were talking about the beach.” I told her.

“Oh. Is there coffee?”

I pointed to the coffeemaker, which was half-full.

“We made a second pot after we drank your first pot,” my mom chuckled. “You're obviously an Emerson, you set up your coffeemaker for automatic brewing each morning.”

I laughed. It's true, my whole family is addicted to their morning brew. My brother emerged from the shower and beelined to the coffee pot.

“Oh good, there's more.” he grabbed a cup out of the cupboard and poured himself some coffee.

“So if you guys want to hang out here for the morning, that's cool. I can go to my interview on my own at noon, or you're welcome to come with, then we can go to the beach afterwards. Just a warning though, we will be followed by paparazzi, I can guarantee it.” I told them as my mom started putting pancakes on plates. “I need to get ready before the interview, but I'll do that after breakfast.”

I grabbed glasses and place mats and began setting the table. Ava went to the fridge, grabbing milk and setting it on the table. “Where's the orange juice?”

“I don't have any?”

“Who doesn't have orange juice?” She scoffed.

“Someone who doesn't like orange juice.” I laughed at her facial expression. “Want me to get some? I can call someone to bring us some now if you'd like.”

“Are you serious?!” She was shocked.

“Yeah, that's one of the perks of living here. They call it 'whatever, whenever.' I just call, and as long as it's legal they get it for me. Obviously it costs extra. I've never used it before though.” I giggled at her face.

“Do it! I have to see this.” She laughed.

I pulled out my phone and dialed the number.

“Hello this is W Hollywood, how may I help you?” a voice on the phone answered.

“Hi, um I was wondering if I could get some orange juice? I don't know how the Whatever Whenever thing works.” I laughed.

“Of course, I can take care of that for you. Would you just like a glass or a half gallon or gallon?”

“Umm-” I held the phone to my chest and looked at Ava. “Should I get a half gallon or a gallon?”

“A gallon,” Michael answered for her.

I put the phone back to my ear. “A gallon please.”

“Alright, do you have a preferred brand?”

“A brand?” I looked at them.

“Something organic,” Ava told me.

“No brand preference, but organic please.” I told the person on the other end.

“Alright, what apartment are you? And when would you like it?”

“14H. And as soon as possible, but don't stress about it.”

“Wonderful! We'll get your orange juice up to you shortly.”

“Thank you!” I hung up the phone, making a face. “That was so weird.”

Ava laughed at my facial expression.

I finished setting the table, and a few minutes later the doorbell rang. Michael went to answer it.

“Orange juice is here!” He yelled, thanking the delivery boy.

As we sat down to eat, my phone went off. I looked at the phone number-- it was Carolyn.

“Hang on just one second.” I excused myself.

“Yes?” I answered the phone.

“Beret! Like your surprise?” She sounded happy.

“Yeah, it's great! Is that all you called for? Sorry but we were about to eat breakfast.”

“No, that wasn't all I called for. I was calling to tell you I'll meet you at the radio station for the interview along with Alice. I have a series of things to tell you before you do into the interview, plus the questions they want to ask you.”

“Okay, sounds good. I'm supposed to be there at noon, right?”

“Yup. Your driver wants to leave at 11:30.”

“Sounds perfect. Talk to you later.” I hung up and went back into the dining room.

“Who was that?” My mom asked.

“Carolyn, my manager. She wanted to discuss pre-interview things.”

“Like?”

“Showing me the questions they want to ask, that kind of stuff. That's why I'm getting there at noon.”

We started eating, catching up on everything that was going on in Minnesota. When we were finished, my parents insisted on doing the dishes while I excused myself to shower. Ava took the second bathroom to get ready, so I had a little time to myself before I had to leave for the interview.

I turned on the water and let it warm up before stepping into the shower. Once again, my mind returned to John as the water pounded against me. I tried to distract myself by thinking of other things, but it didn't work. Stepping out of the shower, I toweled myself off and put on a bra and underwear before I began blow drying my hair. When that was finally done, I went to my closet to find something to wear. Sifting through the jeans and t-shirts, I had Alice's voice in my head reminding me that image is everything. I started looking through the dresses, hoping I'd find something that clicked there. I didn't find anything there, so eventually I decided on a pair of rolled shorts, a black tank top, and a bright red blazer. For shoes, I went with my favorite black army boots.

I pushed my hair out of my face with a black and white headband. I straightened my hair after I finished picking an outfit, then started in on the make-up. Primer, Foundation, concealer, blush, eye shadow, mascara, lip liner, lipstick. Looking in the mirror, I did a once-over to make sure I looked okay. I went to the jewelry chest, looking for some accessories to add on. I decided on an infinity ring, and left it at that. When it came to the purse, I went with the new blue satchel that I had been sent as a freebie from Proenza Schouler. I walked back into the living room and looked at the clock: 11:23. My brother was flipping through the channels on tv, my dad was reading a book, and my mom was knitting. Ava was on her laptop.

“Do you guys have a plan while I'm gone?” I asked.

“Be in the studio audience.” My brother replied. “Carolyn hooked us up.”

“Well perfect! I'm going to head down now, try to leave and get there before the paparazzi is expecting me. I'll see you all later!”

“What time do you go on?” My dad asked.

“12:30.”

“Have a good time!”

I shut the door and went to the elevator, hitting the down button. Once I got to the garage, my driver was standing next to the car.

“Ready?” He smiled at me.

“As ready as I'll ever be.” I laughed and climbed in. As we drove to the station, I pulled out my phone. “Look who showed up last night! Love seeing the fam and Ava!” I tweeted, attaching the picture I took the night before. Next, I started checking my email from my phone. I had to admit, having an iphone was nice. As I was figuring it out, it was becoming really convenient. Junk mail, junk mail, appointment with Warner, junk mail, junk mail. It wasn't long before we were there, and I went inside. Fortunately, I avoided the cameras for the most part. Carolyn and Alice were talking to the receptionist when I entered.

“Beret! You're early!” Alice greeted me.

“Trying to avoid the paparazzi, you know how it is.” I laughed. The receptionist was staring at me, jaw dropped.

“Hi, I'm Beret.” I smiled at her. She managed to smile and nervously wave back.

“Well let's take you back and start going over things. It's 11:45 now, you're going on at 12:30. That gives us more than enough time to talk through the questions.” Alice led me back to a waiting room. Less than an hour later, we walked into the studio, which had a space for me to perform. We were still out of sight, waiting for my cue.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” he told the studio audience, “In the last 6 months she went from being a graduate student to being one of America's hottest young musicians. With three months to go until her debut album drops, the anticipation is building as everyone can't get enough of the new it-girl. Give a warm welcome to Beret Emerson, otherwise known as The Lady Says!”

That was my cue. I walked on, smiling and waving to the audience. My family and Ava were sitting up front, with Alice and Carolyn next to them. I sat down on the open stool and smiled at the broadcaster.

“Welcome to the studio, Beret!” He smiled at me.

“Thank you very much, it's my pleasure to be here.” I politely responded, smiling back at him. I could hear cameras snapping away in the audience.

“So Beret, let's start first with the music. How did The Lady Says come to be? This is for all of our listeners who aren't familiar with your backstory.”

“Well initially The Lady Says wasn't meant to get this big. It really just started off as me writing music for fun and recording it while I was in college. About a year and a half ago my best friend Ava pushed me to put the music online after I let her listen to it, so I made a music myspace and put some of the songs on there. I didn't think anyone would really be a fan of them, but I guess I struck a nerve because the first month they were up I had at least 10,000 downloads of each of the songs. Around then I started getting calls from record labels, and I ended up signed onto Warner. I re-recorded everything, shot a video for Wordplay, my first single, and they put me on a tour with Jack's Mannequin while my album was being mastered. Half way through that tour with Jack's Mannequin the video went viral, and suddenly it was like I couldn't walk outside without people following me, and now I'm here!” I laughed.

“You say that you didn't intend on this music getting so big-- what did you initially plan on doing?”

“Well I was in graduate school at UCLA to become a photography professor. I went to Cornish in Seattle for my undergrad and studied photography, I actually didn't really do anything music related other than writing these songs while I was in college. Until I signed with Warner I had never even played these songs live.”

“So where did the name 'The Lady Says' come from? And what made you decide to release this music as a project instead of as solo work?”

“I chose to not release it under my own name because as a photographer I didn't want to have people looking for my photography and instead finding music. It would have been kind of confusing. As for the name, I heard someone talking one day and they were like “The Lady says' blah blah blah and it just kind of stuck.”

“So what are the songs on this album going to be like?”

“Well a lot of them are on the same lines as Wordplay-- kind of a sun-kissed rock type sound. You can definitely tell that Jack's Mannequin is one of my inspirations when writing music, and Andrew actually helped with recording a couple of the tracks-- he plays piano on the album. There are a couple slower, acoustic songs. I don't want to give too much about it away but it's an album I'm really proud of and really excited about.”

“So who else influences your music?”

“Oh gosh, that's a hard question. There are so many... Well I already said Jack's Mannequin. The Maine has also definitely contributed, they've got such an awesome vibe and they have so much energy that I try to include in my music. Jason Mraz, his lyricism is really quite impressive. I've also listened to a lot of Paramore, Dashboard Confessional, Switchfoot, and Death Cab for Cutie. I really value music that feels like it came from a really honest place, and that's the music I strive to create and that's what inspires me. I can dance around to club music, but when it comes down to it if I'm choosing a song to listen to in my car I'm probably going to pick something that I can really connect with over something that's about getting money or something foreign to me.”

“So do you think music that you can connect with is music that you can relate to? Say someone writes a song about their mom dying, do you believe that you need to have also lost your mom to relate?”

“No, definitely not. There's a lot of music that I can really connect to that I haven't had that experience with, and there's a lot of music that I've had a similar experience as what is being discussed that I can't connect with at all.”

“So looking at your first single, Wordplay. What is that that about?”

“It's about a relationship where there's a lot of communication issues-- lying, not talking about things. It was really frustrating for me to be in a relationship where I felt like I never knew what was going on and I felt like I couldn't get a straight answer about anything, so to me wordplay is about getting back to the truth and not putting up with the twisted words anymore.”

“So it's written about someone specific?”

“Yes.” I blushed a little.

“Do they know it's about them?”

“He has probably figured it out. He's the only guy I've ever dated who has cheated on me.”

“How does the video play into that?”

“The video was a lot of fun to come up with and to shoot. I especially loved when we decided to have people's confessions right on their lips. It really played up the idea of being secretive and lying with people essentially spreading gossip, when the truth was right on their lips. It was odd to shoot because the cameras would be so close to our faces, since all that was in the frame was from mid-chest to the bottoms of our noses for the majority of the video. But I love how it turned out, I thought it was super effective.”

“Now for people who are thinking about buying tickets to see you live, what are your live shows like?”

“They're very fan-involved. A lot of singing along, dancing in the audience. It's hard to rock out when you're playing guitar and singing, but I do my best. I really get into live performances-- I leave everything on the stage. I definitely make sure that the music is worth it though-- that's what the whole point of the show is, so I work to deliver a show that sounds even better than the studio album sounds.”

“Well we have to take a short commercial break, but when we get back we'll hear more from Beret about life, as well as have a special performance of Wordplay for you all so stick around.”

About two minutes later, we were back on air.

“Welcome back! We've got Beret Emerson of The Lady Says in the studio with us this afternoon. So Beret, we're going to play a game with you. I'll ask you 20 questions, and you tell us what comes to mind first.”

“Alright, I think I'm ready!” I laughed.

“Read the book or see the movie?”

“I don't see movies much but if I do and it's based on a book that I'm interested in reading, then I'll read the book first. If the book doesn't sound that good or interesting then I just go see the movie.”

“Vanilla or Chocolate?”

“Vanilla.”

“Tetris or Pacman?”

“Tetris, I'm horrible at pacman.”

“What do you sing in the shower?”

“Oh jeez, anything I can belt.”

“Five words to describe yourself.”

“Vivacious, independent, easygoing, friendly... uh... fun?”

“Best gift you've received from a fan?”

“Oh my god, I've had fans send me in artwork that was inspired by my music, and I love getting it! I frame it and put it in my house. Now that I said that I'm going to get a storm of fan art and I'll have to find more places to hang it!” I laughed.

“Any broken bones?”

“No, I've been lucky so far.”

“Most embarrassing stage moment.”

“Um... I got really into what I was singing on stage one time and tripped and fell on my face. I still laugh about it, but it was definitely embarrassing!”

“Recording or touring?”

“I can't pick. No way. They're too different.”

“Hidden talent?”

“I'm really good at math!”

“No way!”

“Yeah, I was always in the math class two grades above mine because the lower levels were too easy.”

“Wow, that's impressive. Next question: If you could have lunch with anyone in the world, who would it be with?”

“Um... dead or alive? Or only alive?”

“Either.”

“My grandma. She passed away a few years ago and we were really close. She would be proud if she could see me today, she was always sad I didn't go into music because she was the first person I really sang to and she loved listening to me. When I was a little kid I guess I sang her a christmas carol on the phone and had great pitch the whole time-- she would bring up that story frequently.”

“Aww. That's so sweet! Cats or dogs?”

“Cats.”

“Guiltiest pleasure.”

“You know the Maury show? I know I shouldn't watch it but I can't stop, it's so entertaining!”

“Favorite movie?”

“Oh crud. Monty Python and the Holy Grail.”

“If you had to get a tattoo?”

“I really want a half sleeve, with cherry tree blossoms and birds. Sorry mom,” I laughed at my mom's face.

“Number one thing on your bucket list?”

“I want to hang glide in the Alps. My brother did it in high school and I was so jealous that I didn't get to!” I could see Michael laughing from the audience.

“Favorite dessert.”

“Dirt Dessert! You know the stuff with gummy worms and chocolate pudding and Oreo cookies? Love that stuff. Or my mom's chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake. That's delicious.”

“What do you request on tours?”

“Water, nutella... things I can eat with nutella.” I laughed.

“Wow, those were good answers! Alright, now that we're done with the getting-to-know-you stuff, let's move onto your life since you've become so famous. What was the biggest shock about becoming so famous in such a short time?”

“Um,” I paused to think, “Probably all of it, honestly. I'm so fortunate to have the success I have already had, but going from waking up and no one knows who you are to waking up and not being able to walk outside without people swarming you is really quite shocking. I've had to really adjust my lifestyle to accommodate it-- I have to plan every trip out in advance, I have to pay very close attention to my appearance at all times, I have to be very careful what I say, I can't have a bad day because everyone will know about it and I don't want one slip-up to risk my entire career, and with how fast I rose I'm sure I could vanish just as quickly if I messed up enough.”

“So it's a lot of pressure to be in the limelight?”

“Very much.” I laughed softly. “But I think that it's worth it to be able to do what I love.”

“So a lot of magazines like to assume what you're up to, and have lately tried to pair you with quite a few hot hollywood hunks lately. Are you seeing anyone?”

“No, I don't even look at those now because their ideas are so ridiculous. They've tried pairing me with a couple of guys who I've never even met!” I chuckled. “The wonders of photoshop. I've been so focused on all of this that there's no way I've even had time to go on a date.”

“What keeps you busy when you aren't on tour?”

“Well lately it's been a lot of publicity appearances like these-- radio interviews, TV shows, things like that. I also have a lot of appointments for all sorts of things-- album details, planning the next tour, things like that. I've also been making appearances at different social gatherings and things. Most of the time is spent practicing the music though-- we work a lot to make sure that we can play it as best as possible. I've had some time to relax too-- my family and my best friend flew in last night and surprised me, so I get to spend the week having fun with them. I'm really looking forward to it.”

“Alright, one more commercial break and when we get back Beret will do a special performance of Wordplay for us!”

The rest of the radio show was a breeze-- when we got back from the break, they had set up more microphones and had my guitar there for me to play. He introduced the song and I played it stripped down, and the crowd went wild. He thanked me for coming into the studio, and I thanked him for letting me come in. I exited out the side, and hung out back in my holding room until the audience had dispersed. Walking into the lobby, there were people lined up by the door waiting for me to sign things for them. I looked to Carolyn, who pulled out a pack of sharpies from her purse, and started in on the line. Despite Carolyn and Alice's remarks to hurry it along, I talked to each person for a little bit, thanked them for coming out. Finally I made it through the line, and only my family and Ava were left.

“My hand's going to cramp pretty soon,” I laughed.

“To the beach?” My mom asked.

“Most definitely.” I smiled. “Want to stop at home first to change and stuff?”

As we drove home, Carolyn played me the recording of the interview and of Wordplay. I was pleased with the performance. When that was done, she started going over dates with me for major milestones.

“By the way, on Tuesday we want to have a meeting with you and The Maine about the upcoming tour, we will have a proposed schedule for it and we want to confirm it with you all before we release the dates and get tickets rolling.”

“Sounds good to me, you're the keeper of my schedule so you know when I can get to things.” I laughed.

“That's true. Enjoy these next couple days with your family, we'll keep in touch!” We pulled into the parking garage as I got out of the car. The car my family rode in pulled in right behind us, and we went to get ready to go to the beach.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoa holy lord this is a long chapter! Also hi subscribers :) Y'all are sweet! Sorry there's no John, but good/important things to know about Beret (which, P.S. is pronounced Bear-it, not like the hat). John will be back next chapter, I promise :)

Also, the W Hollywood: Aka where I want to live (brb becoming a millionaire).

Oh yeah! And outfits... the last chapter and this chapter :)

I have a lot of the later part of this story written, but I have a few more chapters past this one already done before it gets to the part in the middle that I'm working on at the moment :)

And finally, thanks kayluhjade for the comment(s)! :) As always, if you like it please comment/subscribe/recommend :)