Sequel: To Eternity
Status: Working on...

Savage Hearts

Desolate.

Lila was sitting by herself painting her nails. She sighed in contentment at the fact she was alone for once. After Lindsey having her crisis and between keeping Jon in the dark, Lila was exhausted. She needed to relax, to loosen up, and purge herself of the guilt eating away at her. She didn’t understand why she was feeling guilty over such a minuscule thing; maybe she was developing a conscience. She was taken away from her tranquil place when Jonathan texted her.

I’m coming home are you there?

Yeah I’m at home, why?

I’m sore and just need you there.

:( I’ll be waiting for you


Lila blew on her nails hoping they’d be dry by the time Jonathan returned. Soon he walked through the door, looking frustrated and tired. He moved lethargically to the couch and sat down next to Lila before laying his head in her lap. Lila ran a hand through his hair and leaned down to kiss his temple. Lila still didn’t completely understand how to deal with her hockey boyfriend, but she did know it was better to just be silent and let him do what he needed than try and fix anything. It was the only thing she had learned to do right in the good girlfriend field. She ran her hand down his arm and squeezed his bicep. He winced at the pressure.

“How about I run you a bath, you feel really tense maybe that will help a little.” She broke the silencing hoping it wasn’t the wrong words that would the light the fuse. The last thing she wanted was for Jonathan to explode at her because she never knew what to do right.

Jonathan merely looked up at her with sad eyes and Lila took that as a yes. Slowly lifting Jonathan’s head, Lila got up. She ran water in the large tub. She poured in some lavender bubble bath hoping the smell would relax him more than the girly bubbles would bother him. She went back into the living room to see Jonathan on his stomach spread out on the couch. Lila ran her hands down his back and over his shoulders. She gently rubbed him, hoping it felt nice. She then grabbed his hand gently puling him to the bathroom. He lumbered behind her. He stripped off his own clothing and slowly sat down in the bath, leaning his head back and closing his eyes and letting out a heavy sigh. Lila sat on the floor outside of the bathtub, knees pushed to her chest. She just watched her boyfriend and she felt helpless, she didn’t feel like she could do anymore but Jon still looked upset.

“I’m sorry I’m so grumpy, its just I got slashed during the game and I really hurt.”

“It’s fine, I’m just glad I can be here for you.” She gave a sad smile even though she didn’t understand what that meant in hockey terms. The two went back into sitting in silence for a while.

“Would you mind getting in with me?” Jonathan asked in a tired voice. Lila merely nodded before stripping down and slowly climbing in.

She sat between Jon’s legs; her back pressed to his chest. Jonathan wrapped his arms around her waist and Lila delicately placed her hands on tops of his, squeezing lightly. Lila leaned her head back until it hit Jonathan’s chest. They both sat there comfortable in the silence and the position. Lila took a deep breath. She finally felt good about where Jonathan and her were. They were comfortable with each other and that’s all she wanted, someone who was comfortable with her and her personality. She felt another pang knowing that she hurt Jon for her own selfish reasons. She was almost tempted to tell him, but didn’t want to ruin the moment.

Jonathan woke up much later. Sitting in the now cold bath water with Lila asleep in front of him. He gently shook her until she woke up. She turned in smiled as Jon pulled her out of the bath with him. They walked into their bedroom; Lila put on one of Jon’s shirts and Jon put on a pair of sweatpants. They both crawled into bed and Lila cuddled up to Jonathan’s side, resting her head on his shoulder. Jonathan felt like everything was up hill from here, because Lila had been the most selfless she had ever been and it felt so natural.

~~~~~~~~

Jonathan came home after practice. He was still hurting and angry and wasn’t in the mood to deal with anything. However, fate had different plans in mind. He stepped on it before he saw it but once he laid eyes on it, Jonathan became furious, all the frustration and pain from the last few days turned into anger. All directed at one individual.

Jonathan’s heart was racing. He felt like he had just played the longest, hardest shift of his life as he made his way to Lila and Lindsey’s apartment. He was nervous and excited to surprise Lila. It was what he considered their one-year anniversary, since Lila didn’t really consider herself his girlfriend for a while and she probably wouldn’t know the date regardless. He had spent weeks planning it so it would perfect and for once he would convince Lila how great it was to be in a relationship with someone, especially when that someone was him.

He made it to the door where a sticky note was saying, ‘Going out with friends but I left the door unlocked for you Jonny, go right on in! –Lindsey’ He smiled and twisted the knob before going into the apartment. He walked towards Lila’s room when he saw her sweater. It was one of those ugly knitted ones he made fun of her for wearing but he always thought she looked cute in it. He continued on to her room, almost shaking in anticipation of her look of surprise. He opened her door and the look of surprise he got was definitely not the kind he was expecting, or wanting.

There was the girl he was head over heels for, naked and on top of a guy that was definitely not Jonathan. She quickly pushed off of the guy and walked over to Jon.

“Jon, I’m so sorry.” He didn’t know if the look on her face was still shock or had a trace of guilt but he didn’t care.

“Fuck you, Lila.”

Jonathan walked out of the apartment and walked to the nearest bar. A searing pain filled his heart. Lila had done what she wanted and ripped out Jon’s heart like it didn’t even matter.


~~~~~~~~

Jonathan snapped his head up when he heard the front door slam. He picked up the sweater and stomped towards the door. Lila was placing her keys in the bowl by the door. She turned to look at Jon who had anger written all over her face.

“Are you feeling better?”

“No I’m not. I’m not going to play in the All Star Game this weekend either so you should cancel your ticket to Ottawa.”

“Oh baby, that sucks.” Lila said with a sympathetic smile.

“Wait, you don’t need to cancel your ticket because you already did that. When were you going to tell me you weren’t coming and better yet, when were you going to tell me that you traded the ticket so you could go to New Orleans during Mardi Gras?” Jonathan spat.

“Wh-who told you?”

“Lindsey may have let it slip when I saw her this morning, but that doesn’t matter Lila! You should have told me, I wouldn’t have cared so much if you just told me! This weekend was just so we could go somewhere and have some fun.” Jon began to raise his voice.

“I’m so sorry Jon, I didn’t know what to say I-“ Lila felt the uncontrollable need to cry and let out an involuntary sob.

“No, Lila you don’t get to cry you brought this on yourself. If you don’t want to be in this relationship then just tell me because you do a lot of things that make me think you want to find a reason to get out.”

“It’s not like that baby.”

“Well than what is this?” He held out the sweater, “you told me you threw it away and here it is, in my apartment like you were just wearing it.” He began to walk toward while she began to back up.

“It’s just a stupid sweater Jon stop overreacting.” Lila yelled back her own anger flaring up.

“Overreacting? Lila this isn’t just about this stupid sweater. Its what this sweater represents. That god damn night that you fucking cheated on me and here you are just rubbing it in my face, lying to me again and again.” Jonathan took another step forward get louder and louder, Lila now had her back against a wall, “I’m sick of you being selfish. I’m sick of you taking advantage of how much I love you and you using my emotions because you know I love you too much to stop you from doing what you want and I’m sick of it. You need to started getting your shit together and start thinking about someone other than yourself!” Jonathan slammed his fist against the wall right next to Lila’s head.

Lila flinched at the sound of Jon’s fist connecting with the wall. She was paralyzed with fear. She had never seen this anger and intensity in Jon’s face off the ice. She barely felt safe enough to breath let alone let out the tears she could feel coming. Instead Lila took in one deep breath and looked into Jon’s eyes. His anger was fading but his hand was still against the wall and he was heaving his shoulders up and down with each ragged breath he took.

“I’m sorry and I know that means nothing right now, but I truly am, for everything. But maybe it would be best if I left. Maybe we need a little break, I’ll go stay at Lindsey’s and we’ll take a little breather from each other. Get some perspective and just sort things out on our own before we sort out us. Maybe it would be for the best.” Lila ducked under Jon’s arms, grabbed her keys and went out the door.