How Could This Happen to Me?

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Seb woke up earlier then his alarm clock, he sat up and stretched his arms, a soft yawn coming out. With a light shake of his head, Sebastien pulled back his blanket and walked over to his back pack.

He crouched, looking through a couple of bags of clothing to find a good set of clothes to wear. Although he wouldn’t have cared much the day before, today was a whole new day and he needed to look even better.

After a few minutes of shuffling, a set of clothing was found, Seb walked out of his room and into the bathroom, closing the door.

----

Kate rubbed her eyes as she entered the kitchen, a yawn releasing. She saw Sebastien sitting at the island in the kitchen, a bowl of cereal and raisin toast on a plate beside that.

With a raised eye brow, she shook her head. “Why are you up so early, little brother?”

Seb raised his head, looking up from the magazine in front of him. “Mmm, in order to have a good day, gotta wake up with a positive attitude.”

“What kinda day are you expecting, Seb?”

Seb shrugged his shoulders, “Better then yesterday I hope.”

Kate looked at his hair, seeing it was combed and his clothes looked ironed. She turned around and walked out of the kitchen to get ready.

----

Kate stared into the bathroom mirror, thinking over as to why Sebastien was starting to act a little weird. Granted, when she tried introducing him to her new friend there was some sort of freaking out going on and she never really understood what had happened.

Seb had completely gone out of his way to ignore her for the rest of the day, stay completely quiet and refuse to meet anyone else. That feeling a twin always gets when something wrong is going on with their other half, Kate sent Nichole out to find Sebastien since she knew the whole school from top to bottom.

Whatever she had said, Nichole reassured her that Seb would come around and relax. It’s the first day of school jitters, and guys like to tough it out on their own.

Kate shook her head lightly at this, her new best friend had already felt like a sister, as if they’d known each other their whole lives.

With this in mind, Kate started to get ready for the new day.

----

As Kate finally walked back into the kitchen and started to prepare her breakfast, Seb was already out of his seat, putting his dishes in the sink and picking up his back pack and heading out the front door.

Kate raised an eye brow and called out to him, “What the hell is your hurry?! We still have another thirty minutes before we even leave to go to school.”

----

Seb sat patiently in the Jeep Grand Wagoneer, he didn’t complain this morning as his father drove them to school. Instead, he had his head close to the window as he looked around for the Jeep truck.

As soon as the vehicle pulled up to the high school, a somewhat irritated look appeared on his face as he seen one of Nichole’s friends standing near by and staring directly at the Jeep.

He wasn’t sure which one of them it was since he didn’t bother to stick around long enough for an introduction.

It didn’t matter nonetheless, as soon as the Lefebvre kids opened up their doors to step out, the guy that stood watching disappeared from sight instantly.

----

Seb kept his head lowered as he opened up his locker and started putting away the books that were weighing down his bag. He held on to the one book for the class he was about to go to.

“Hey…”

Sebastien turned his head seeing the male that was watching their family vehicle this morning. He didn’t say anything as he closed his locker and walked away.

The guy followed, walking side by side with him.

“You’re Sebastien, right?”

Seb looked to him, “Look, I didn’t mean to have what happened yesterday. If I could take it back, I would.”

“That’s kinda what I wanted to talk to you about, it’s no big deal to me about what went on between you and Nichole, the only person you pissed off was Pierre. I was wondering if we could sit down and talk somewhere to resolve this.”

Seb shook his head, walking faster. “No thanks, I’m not interested in making friends or resolving anything.”

The guy with the small faux hawk stopped , watching on as Sebastien walked away from him. He sighed and turned around towards his own class.

----

Seb raised his head up slightly, peeking over one of his books as he watched Nichole sit at a separate table, working on homework assignments of her own.

She was focused completely, the hyper teenager beside her not a distraction whatsoever.

Seb let out a small huff, being completely distracted by the woman he didn’t know anything about.

At that exact moment, someone grabbed him by the back of his shirt and lifted him out of his seat.

“Follow me, Lefebvre. And don’t you dare think about running away either.” the grip on him was released, Seb turned his head seeing Pierre walking away from him and towards a more quiet area.

A lump formed in Seb’s throat, he instantly felt like running as fast and far away as possible.

----

Seb cowered himself back against the brick building, holding his hands up above his head as Pierre’s fist came down on him again.

“You so much as look at Nichole again, I swear to god I will put you in the hospital.” Pierre growled.

Seb closed his eyes, his heart beating out of his chest. His entire body was shaking at the shock of what just happened. He had followed Pierre, and as soon as they were out of Nichole’s sight, the older of the two didn’t hold back a punch.

And to make matters worse, Seb also received a hard kick to the groin.

After a few minutes passed by, Seb sat up slowly. “What the hell am I doing wrong?”

----

Seb walked up slowly to the guy who tried talking to him this morning. He placed his tray of food on the table and sat down slowly.

“Yeah…I was trying to talk to you before Pierre decided to kick your ass. He catch you staring at Nichole again?”

Seb nodded his head, tears coming to his eyes.

A hand was held out to him, “Chuck Comeau.”

Seb stared at the hand for a moment, before reaching out and shaking it. He waited for a smack in the face from this guy as well.

Chuck smiled, “Nichole did say you were quite shy, not even saying hello or introducing yourself to her. We all know who you are though, after yesterday’s incident we’ve kept our eyes on you since.”

Seb frowned at this, feeling like at any moment he was going to get attacked by everyone.

Chuck reassured him by raising his hand slowly, “I don’t do fights unless I have to. And in this case, you’re really no threat to me. You’ve done nothing wrong.”

“Then why did I get my ass kicked by one of your friends…” Seb croaked.

“Well isn’t it obvious?” Chuck asked.

Seb shook his head slowly, “Unless you’re talking about my constant happiness in the pants every time I see Nichole, which even that I don’t understand why it’s happening…then no.”

Chuck titled his head to the side, “You really don’t sense what we are? What you are?…”

Seb shook his head once more, “No..”

Chuck took in a deep breathe, “Did you get that cowering feeling like you had to give in instantly when Pierre got angry with you and had you away from Nichole’s sight?”

Seb nodded, “Yes..”

Chuck’s smile faltered, “Well have you read or seen when an Omega wolf disobeys an Alpha? One wrong move, and it’s either surrender instantly or try fighting the leader and hope that you’ll defeat him and get his rank.”

“I don’t see what you’re getting at here, Chuck..”

Chuck lowered his head to look down at his hands, “You are a werewolf, Sebastien.”

Seb raised himself out of his seat slowly, picking up his plate. “I already am having a bad day, Chuck. I don’t need bullshit to top the cake.” he started to walk away.

“Did you feel territorial over Nichole when Pierre had his arm around her waist? Even though that was the first time you two had ever seen each other.” Chuck asked.

Seb halted, not saying anything but listening.

“Did a bright light flash before your eyes when you finally looked right at her, and stood pressed firmly against her body?”

Seb lowered his head at this, feeling embarrassed once more.

“Don’t feel guilty or embarrassed about it, Sebastien. The bright light was your wolf waking up for the first time ever. And you probably wonder why you were forced to stand so close to Nichole.”

Seb turned and walked back to the table, he sat down and stayed very quiet.

“The wolf took over your entire body before you even realized what the hell was going on. The reason for it was because as soon as you laid eyes on Nichole, the wolf sensed its mate for the first time. You can not separate a wolf from its mate, and yours refused to be distracted. It greeted her with something us males would prefer not to show with others around, he inhaled her scent, and also tried marking his territory.”

Tears streamed slowly down Seb’s face, he sniffled. Chuck was spot on about the feelings and actions that had happened the day before to him, and although the two had never talked…he knew exactly how he felt.

Chuck reached out and patted Seb’s shoulder, “Aww, come on now, Bud. None of those tears.”

Seb slouched in his seat, “I’ve been trying to figure out the entire time why all this shit is happening to me, and I just want it to make sense.”

Chuck folded his arms and nodded. “It is a scary thing to go through. But the entire pack has gone through it, years before it could become an embarrassment like yours has…but, don’t feel ashamed by your wolf.”

Seb shook his head, “I don’t want it.”

Chuck laughed lightly, “Don’t wanna deal with the fact that you’re going to have a hard-on every time Nichole shows up? That is completely normal for a werewolf your age. It is an embarrassment to you, but the wolf sees it as an opportunity that something may happen if its ready. You won’t feel satisfied until the wolf is satisfied, and he won’t be satisfied unless you’ve got Nichole cornered.”

Seb whimpered quietly, “I don’t even know her that well, and it’s awkward and just wrong.”

“Well, I know this is a lot of information at one time…and I should’ve spaced it out more and just told you little by little. But the reason I think you suddenly became so attracted to Nichole, is because that is the werewolf’s soul mate along with yours as well.

The love of your life will suddenly appear one day, and no matter how hard you try to deny the feelings, you are head over heels in love with her.”

Seb sighed and looked down at his food, “Yeah, and what about Pierre? Did his instincts act up when he and Nichole first met?”

Chuck instantly felt anger and sadness hit him at once, it rolled off of Seb in waves.

“Nichole…has no idea about us guys being werewolves. She’s been around us for the longest time. Pierre did not have the same reaction as yours towards Nichole, his was rather different. But even so, just because Nichole hangs out with a pack full of males, doesn’t mean she has a boyfriend.” A smile suddenly crossed his face.

Seb nodded his head at this, “So, what can you tell me about Nichole that won’t get me into trouble with Pierre?”

Chuck laughed, “Well, apparently you picked the only female in our pack that isn’t a werewolf at all. Nichole is one-hundred percent human, but as you have already experienced…she is very kind when it comes to greeting a pack mate. Whenever we feel down, she comes up and makes it all better. Whether it be pressing foreheads together, playing with our hair…, although she doesn’t know our secret, she does know how to calm the wolf.”

Seb’s cheeks tinted red at this response, Nichole had done both to him the previous day. He felt a small growl catch in his throat at the thought of her taking care of the other guys.

“If I were you, Sebastien. I’d lay low and not stare at Nichole or try to go near her the rest of the day while Pierre is around. He’s kicked your ass once already, you really can’t take another hit today.”

-----

Chuck walked slowly up to Kate’s locker as he saw her switching out books and looking down at her schedule. He leaned against the lockers beside hers and waited until she closed the door and turned.

A bright smile appeared on Chuck’s face instantly, “Hello, you must be Sebastien’s sister, Kate.”

Kate nodded her head in agreement, “I am, and who might you be?”

Chuck blushed slightly, “One of Nichole’s friends that you didn’t get to meet yesterday. I am Charles Comeau, but you can call me Chuck.”

Kate watched as Chuck reached his hand out to her, she shook it.

“Nichole has said nothing but good things about you. It’s nice to see her bonding with someone that is for once, a girl.”

Kate smiled, “It’s nice to have a friend so quickly instead of having to follow my brother around, I love him but with the cold shoulder that he has, I’d get lost in this school.”

Chuck stuffed his hands into his pockets, “In some ways I would like to agree, but I think he needs a little more time before he’ll come around and start talking more.”

The bell rang just then, causing them both to look up at the noise and then back down as everyone scattered.

“Do you happen to have gym class?” Chuck asked.

Kate raised her eyebrows in surprise, “Surprisingly yes.”

A big grin came upon Chuck’s face.

----

Kate stepped out of the girls locker room, changed into appropriate gym clothing as she walked out on to the basketball court, others following behind her.

She looked across to the other side seeing just about every guy in this class playing basketball. Half of them were shirtless.

Kate stopped as she saw two familiar looking guys.

Pierre stayed completely focused as he dribbled the ball, he glanced at Chuck before tossing it to him.

Chuck dribbled the ball a few times before dodging a few classmates and shooting the ball towards the hoop.

It dropped in with a swish.

Pierre high fived him before running down towards the other end of the basketball court to chase after the ball.

Kate only took a slight glance at Pierre, seeing him as the more intimidating one of Nichole’s friends. So instead she looked at Chuck, seeing the sweat glisten slightly from his shoulder blades.

At that exact moment, Chuck turned around and looked at her.

---- Later that day, French class

“Hello class, if you don’t remember who I am, my name is Caroline Lavoie. Today we will be separating into small groups and pairs .The second year students will help the first year students with simple sentences. We have two new classmates who will be joining us this year so please welcome Katherine and Sebastien.”

Kate sat beside Nichole, her group of friends not too far away.

Sebastien sat further away, with Chuck right beside him.

Chuck smiled lightly as he looked to Seb, “So, are you going to try partnering up with Nichole and learning some French?”

Seb shook his head quickly, sitting further back in his seat. “I don’t even know French.”

Chuck stood up slowly, “Well, Laisse pas passer ta chance, good luck.”

Seb raised an eye brow, concern written all over his face. “Huh?”

Chuck smirked, “It means…Don’t let that chance pass you by, good luck.”

Seb lowered his head at this, looking across the room towards Nichole. “And what are you going to do?”

Chuck blushed, “Well, if you didn’t mind…I was going to go teach your sister French. Just because you’re shy to go up to Nichole and actually talk and have a conversation, doesn’t mean I’m the same way.” with this said, he stood up and walked over to the girls and looked between the two.

Seb rested his elbow on his desk, knuckles pressed against his cheek.

Not a moment later, Chuck helped Kate up to her feet and they walked into the center of the classroom.

Seb turned his head and looked towards the rest of the group of friends, seeing “David” sitting pretty close in front of Nichole and speaking to her with a serious face.

“Es-ce que tu parles français?” David asked, squinting his eyes a little.

Nichole thought about this for a moment before answering, “Uh…non?”

Pierre rolled his eyes and pushed David’s chair slowly away from Nichole, he moved his in front of her and stared hard at the youngest of the pack. “Why the hell would you ask her that question if she obviously hasn’t learned it yet, idiot”

He turned his attention back to Nichole, a big smile on his face. “Allo.”

Nichole leaned back in her seat, staring into Pierre’s eyes. “Salut.”

Pierre couldn’t help but smile at this response, he continued “Comment ça va aujourd'hui?”

She lowered her head thinking about it for a moment, “I don’t know that one, Pierre.”

Pierre reached out and grabbed ahold of her hands, “It means… ‘How are you today?’”

“Comment ça va aujourd'hui? Nichole smirked.

“Très bien, vu que c'est vendredi. Viens-tu chez-moi en fin de semaine? Pierre looked closely into her eyes.

Nichole laughed and shook her head, “Now you’ve lost me completely, Pierre.”

Pierre leaned back in his seat, still holding her hands. “Very good, seeing as it's Friday, you coming to my house this weekend?”

Nichole blushed deeply at this, she reached her hand out and grabbed a handful of Pierre’s hair and played with it.

He sighed, laying his head against her arm.

“Oui, you know I always do, Bouvier. I don’t know why you ask.”

Pierre blushed also, “Je t'aime, Nichole” after he said this, he stood up and pulled her in for a hug. Nichole pressed her face into his shirt and hugged him back.

Seb raised his head and watched as both Pierre and Nichole embraced, the short sentence that stuck to his mind was the one Pierre said to her: “Je t'aime, Nichole” it didn’t take much thought to figure out that one.

Chuck smiled brightly as he sat in front of Kate, “Bonjour, comment ca va?"

Kate’s eye brows raised suddenly, “I know Bonjour! It means Hello!”

Chuck nodded his head slowly, “Oui, it does. Now what about ‘comment ca va?”

Kate thought hard on this one, she looked into Chuck’s eyes and repeated the words slowly to herself. “Does it mean, ‘Who are you?’”

The older of the two shook his head, “Not quite, it means, ‘How are you’”

“I was close!”

Chuck smiled at her excitement, “Yes, you were. Now how about, ‘Es-ce que tu me trouve beau’?”

Kate tilted her head to the side, “Hmm…”

Chuck blushed as it took her a while to think it over, “It means, ‘Do you think I’m cute’” he set his hands down in his lap, nerves taking over his whole body.

Kate’s face turned beet red at this question, she nodded her head and whispered quietly “Well, yeah…”

Relief flooded the Beta wolf at this response, his heart strings tugged instantly. “Je te trouve belle.” Chuck whispered.

Kate looked up at him, she smiled. “I don’t know what you just said, but it sounded nice.”

Chuck looked down at his hands, “I said, ‘Well, I think you’re beautiful.’”

At that moment, they both looked into each others eyes. Chuck’s face turned slightly red.

----

Seb walked down the steps of the high school and made his way towards his dads station wagon. He had his head lowered, and a lot on his mind.

“Hey, Sebastien!”

Seb turned his head and looked behind him, seeing Chuck run past students and then down the stairs towards him. “Hey, Chuck.”

Chuck took in a deep breathe and released it, “I was hoping to catch you before you left.”

Seb nodded his head, “And you have, what’s going on?”

Just then, Kate past right by them, becoming a distraction for the taller male.

Chuck peeked over Seb’s shoulder and watched her as she walked down the rest of the stairs and down to the Jeep. A smile instantly came to his face.

“Chuck!”

Chuck’s attention instantly went back to Seb, “Oh! Sorry. I just wanted to ask if you’d like to come over tomorrow and meet the rest of the pack, along with learning more about our kind without having to worry about someone eaves dropping on our conversations.”

Seb shook his head slowly, “I already don’t like the fact that the wolf’s instincts take over whenever they want to. It’s frustrating, and I haven’t been able to focus on school work, which in turn means I have to stay locked up in my bedroom just to get the next days homework finished on time. I don’t even give a crap about homework, but I don’t want my parents looking over my shoulder either.”

“Right.” Chuck agreed.

“Well, I don’t mean to pressure you about it, and I know you have a hard time making friends so….maybe you’ll get along with some of mine and you won’t be completely focused on Nichole all the time. To me, I think it would be a good idea if you showed up, so when something does happen that you are unsure of and have questions about, you’ll feel comfortable enough to come up to one of us guys and talk about it.”

Seb sighed, “I’ll think it over, thanks Chuck.” with that said, he started walking once more.

“If you decide to come over, I’ll be in the more quiet area of our neighborhood. If you know where the homes are that are more into the forest, less away from others, just go down that road a little ways until you see an old black Jeep truck.

Chuck looked over the vehicle once more that Sebastien was walking to, “And by the way, I’m sure Nichole would be more then happy to help you out with your homework, you’ll get her to like you if you mention about that Jeep you guys are driving.”

Chuck walked back up the steps and disappeared from view.

Seb took in the words he said, his mind thinking of ideas instantly.