Status: Enjoy!!!

Lullaby

ONE: You have a smudge on your cheek.

my alarm blared telling me it was time to wake up and do my daily routine. I sighed and looked around my small room. 17 years I’ve been here, 17 long years. I guess I should explain right? Well when I was a baby my biological parents dropped me off here, at the foster home. The old lady that runs the place is nice enough but she's dying and her jackass of a husband is going to take over the place. That's where my problem lays.
I sat up and began dressing. I was tall, I would assume like my father, my blonde hair was a thick curly mess. Everyone says they love it. I pulled it into a bun and looked closely in the mirror, my skin was clear as day except for the freckle on my right side check bone. I quickly put eyeshadow and mascara on.

“Iris get down here! You're going to be late for work!” an old shaky voice tried to yell up the stairs. I winced and ran down the stairs, grabbing my jacket and purse along the way. I slid into the kitchen only Janice and will were up. Janice was the nice little old lady who owned the place, Will was the asshole she married. He was only 45 while she was 60. she knows he just wants her for her money, but she loves him. I don't know why.

“eat in the car, go on, see you tonight honey!” she said handing me some pop tarts. She kissed my cheek. I smiled and walked out the door. I jumped into my small car and drove to work.

I work at this coffee shop called 'Spazz'. I'm the only non-family member who works here, they only hired me because I wouldn't give up till I got the job. I've been working here for 3 years now. Right now its dead time, meaning its that awkward time in the morning when its to late for morning coffee but to early for lunch break coffee. I work with just one other person most days but Jason (the owners 16 year old son) is out for soccer tournament. I didn't mind,
I just get insanely bored.

I sat down at the front desk where we take orders, I took out my sketch pad and began drawing. Yes I know, 'bad Iris shouldn't be drawing at work'. I don't care though. The owners, Bob and Nancy don't mind me drawing when no one is in. and I don't see any one, sooo I’m just gonna go ahead and draw.

I was finishing up the shading when I heard the bell on the door signaling someone had walked in. I looked up, it was a tall man, his hair was cut short and he had sunglasses on. He wore all black and seemed to walk like a god. He was a stranger to the town that's for sure. I chuckled and wiped my cheek, which just smudged it with more lead. I silently cursed my own stupidity.

“hello, could I just get a coffee? Black, uh, please” his voice was raspy. I looked up at him, he looked down at me. I felt short, for the first time In my life. He kind of stared at me. Probably expecting me to get his order down.

“oh, yea, sorry. Small or large?” I asked. He still looked at me. I sighed and typed in the order. “I’ll just give you a large, you get a free cookie with that anyway” I said typing it in the cash register. In the corner of my eye I saw in numbly nod. “that will be 2.99 dollars.”
I stood up and walked the whooping 2 feet and started his drink. It was easy enough since he didn't want anything in it. I noticed him walk towards where I was standing. I looked up at him, annoyance clear on my face. “you have a smudge on your cheek.” his raspy voice said quietly.

“i know, I was drawing before you came in” I kind of laughed. This guy was intimidating. He looked and sounded familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

“i noticed.”

“yea, here’s your drink, and cookie” I handed him his stuff. He walked to the far corner of the shop, which wasn't very far and sat in a table. I took my place back at the cash register. I took out a table wipe and quickly wiped off my cheek and hands. I looked down at my drawing. It was of a couple, their faces darkened. They were holding a baby.
I hastily ripped it out of the book, crumpled it up, and tossed in the trash on the other side of the counter. I sat back in my chair and started thinking about my parents. Why did they give me up? Was I an ugly baby? Did I have some sort of disability I never knew about? I sighed.

“where's my favorite foster kid?” an evil sneer came through the door. I winced and stood up. Will leaned on the counter and looked expectingly at me.

“What do you want Will?” I sighed. He frowned at me. Well this wasn't good. Something you should know about Will, he's has an abusive personality, but only toward certain people. And guess what. I happen to be one of those people. I nervously glanced at the man in the corner of the shop.

He was looked at us. Fuck. Will turned to look to, this mysterious man was bigger than Will. Not that he was fat, he was muscular. Will was a chicken shit anyway. Will straightened up and smiled at me. I backed up a little and looked at him nervously.

“coffee and a tea.” he said as if nothing was wrong. I nodded and began to work on the drinks. They were up and done within a minute. I gave them to him, he dropped a five on the table and walked out the door.

I sat suddenly tired. I put the money in the cash register and an extra three dollars in for the cookies he had taken. Yea he thought I didn't notice. That sucks though, that was my lunch money for today. I heard a chair scrap against the floor. I looked up and saw the tall man getting up to leave. He stopped when he reached the door, he looked at me then reached into the trash bin. He pulled out my drawing, uncrumpled it, folded it, and put it in his back pocket.

“you shouldn't waste your talent away. Have a good day miss...Iris” he said after looking at my name tag.

“thank you and you have a good day to” I said. He smiled and walked out the door. I sat and looked at my phone.

-TWO MESSAGES FROM KAYLIE-
KAYLIE: oh my gosh girlie, guess who was just spotted in our little town!
KAYLIE (message two): oh shit I forgot you were at work, but guess! I'll give you a hint, its my Canadian heart throb, I’m gonna marry him.

I laughed. My best friend Kaylie is obsessed with Nickelback, mostly the lead singer, Chad Kroeger. I sat and thought for a moment. Then it all clicked. Shit! He was in the store! He was the mysterious man! Oh man is she gonna be jealous.

I got off work about 9:30 pm. I locked the doors and walked the block to my car. I felt the nervous feeling of someone looking at me. I shook it off and contused walking. Before I knew what was happening someone slammed me into the wall. Pain exploded in my right temple. I groaned and looked at who just attacked me.

Will's drunk smiling face was standing above me. “shit!” I screamed as I jumped up and ran. Will was somehow faster and grabbed my hair slamming me into the wall again. I kicked him in the shin and started running. I could here him calling insults while trying to catch up with me. I looked over my shoulder to see how far behind he was, and in the process ran into someone.

I fell but scampered up muttering a sorry. I started to run again but the person grabbed my arm, making me look at them. There he stood, the tall man, Chad Kroeger. I looked behind me and noticed how close Will had gotten. I panicked and jerked my arm away from him, he wouldn't let me go.

“let go!” I whispered loudly. He shook his hand. He examined me head, where the wall impacted, I shook him off. I looked again, Will was really close. I looked behind Chad and noticed the alley way. With all my might I pushed us into the alley way.
Chad started to say something but I cut him off, putting my hand over his mouth. I watched Will walked passed muttering death threats. As soon as I couldn't hear him I released chad. I looked at him, suddenly furious.

“what happened?” he asked. I waved him off.

“nothing important. What the fuck where you thinking?!” I almost shouted. Almost, I didn't want Will to hear and come back. Chad made a face a puffed out his chest. I laughed a little.

“well sorry for trying to help” he muttered. I rolled my eyes.

“well thanks for the “help” but you could have gotten the shit beat out you.” I said. I licked my jacket sleeve and dabbed my face. Immediately winced and decided to wait until I got home. I started to walk back to my car, when once again he grabbed my arm. I glared at him.

“at least take let me take you to the hotel, we'll get you cleaned up.” he said. I looked at him cautiously. “i won't let the guys touch you” he added.
I slowly nodded, my head was throbbing and I was getting dizzy. He grabbed my waist and picked me up bridal style. “ I’m Chad, by the way.” he said.

“you know I know how to walk. And I know, I’m not stupid” I said I tried to wiggle my way out of his grip but it didn't work. He chuckled.

“well then, lets go.” he walked us off to the only hotel in the whole town. It was across the street from the foster home. I watched as he walked closer to it. Will's car wasn't home yet. All the lights but one was out. I knew its was Jessica's. She liked to wait for me after work. I would help her with homework.

Before I knew it we were inside and in an elevator. I looked around. I've never really been in the hotel, I tried to get a job here, so I could stay close, but they said no, I could leave at any day. But I never did. People don't adopt the older kids. They think we'll become murderers or something ridiculous like that.

Chad kicked at a door, I would assume as his. I wiggled a little. “you can put me down now” I said. He chuckled. And slowly put me down. I whoosh of nausea hit me and I had to grab hold of his arm to steady myself. The door swung open and a guy with brown spiked up hair stood there. I tried to smile but little black spots clouded my sight. I tried to breath but it didn't work.

I felt myself being set on a bed. Something cold touching my skin. A raspy voice trying to talk to me. I couldn't see anything, I didn't want to. I wanted to sleep, I was so tired, always so tired. My body ached and my head throbbed. I closed my eyes, and sank into the darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, a new story, yay!
i know a lot of people do not like Nickelback. i happen to like them, hence the fanfic about them!
if you do not like Nickelback or don't like my story, then go read something else. simple as that. but for those of you who want more, than i'll post more.
ENJOY!
-R