Status: Enjoy!!!

Lullaby

TWO: My future hubby, love Kaylie.

I woke up, something smelled insanely good. I heard a humming sound. What kind of messed up dream was this? I tried to move but my body hurt to bad, so I just laid there. I faintly heard footsteps, so like in any other movie I pretended to be a sleep.

“damn, she sleep just like he does.” a deep voice said. What the fuck?

“looks just like him to, do you think it's really her?” another voice said. I froze. Are they gonna kidnap me?! no. no. no. no. they can not do that!

“i don't know man, I don't know” the deep voice said. I listened to their footsteps get softer and softer. I faintly heard one of them say 'nah she's still asleep'. I jumped up and looked down at myself. I was in an over sized t- shirt. Which one of them changed me?! I looked around. My pants and shirt were cleaned and folded on the bed, I snagged them and put them on. I heard footsteps coming down the hall. I froze.

What if they drug me? Shit! I stood by the door. Someone pushed it open, I blindly punched the person in the face and sprinted down the hall. I threw the door open and ran to the stairs. I jumped two at a time, trying to get away. By the time I was at the street I was out of breath. I ran across the street and safely into the foster home.

I leaned against the door after I shut it. I listened close. Everyone was gone? What day was it? I walked into the kitchen and looked at the calender. Fuck it was Monday, I would be alone. I graduated school early, the younger kids were at school, and Janice and Will went into town every Monday. Usually I was okay with this, but today not so much.

“Iris? Is that you?” I heard Jessica shout from the top of the stairs. I walked to her, my hands still shaking.

“what are you doing home?” I asked. She looked at me with the what-do-you-think look on her face.

“you didn't come home last night, did Will do that to your face?” I just nodded. She frowned. She grabbed my hand and started walking towards the door. “come one, buy me some ice cream.” I laughed and grabbed my keys.

“we'll have to walk.” I said. She just shrugged. She ran out the door, her hand still connected with mine. I closed the door. I looked across the street. Chad stood in the lobby talking to the manager. I picked Jessica up and quickened our pace. She was only 5 so she didn't weigh much.

“piggy back! Piggy back!” she laughed. I shifted her so she was on my back. I began walking faster and faster. I passed the alley and noticed my purse on the ground. I bent down and picked it up, wallet, journal, lotion, hidden money, all there. I put my keys in it and contiued walking.

I stepped into the coffee shop, and told Jessica to sit in a booth. I looked at Bob, who just frowned at me. I frowned back.

“that bad?” I asked. He nodded. I groaned and ordered a chocolate and a strawberry ice cream. I went to pay him but he gave it back.

“on the house.” he said. I smiled at him and thanked him. I brought the ice cream to Jessica. She dug in right away. I leaned against the cool leather of the seat.

I watched Jessica eat her food. I remember when she first got in the foster home. Her parents had died in a house fire, she had no other family. She was only 3 years old then. I protected her from Will and the problems of the universe. She was in the same predicament as me. No one wanted to adopt her because they feared she would have to many issues. I promised her once I turned 18 I would adopt her, and we'd take on the world together. We are practically sisters, scratch that we ARE sisters, if you couldn't tell.

“are you going to eat that?” Jessica said. I laughed.

“no, but eat it in the car, okay, I need to take a shower.” she nodded.

we got to the car and she began eating my ice cream. I got in the car and started driving. We were passing the hotel, turning into our drive way when I saw chad again. He happened to look over and saw me. I quickly looked away and drove into the drive way. I quickly got Jessica out of the car.

“Iris wait” I heard his raspy voice. I winced but ignored him.

“Jessica, go on in, go up to my room and watch a movie or something” I told her. She looked up at me, her face covered in chocolate. I chuckled. “wash up first” she did as told. I turned to look at chad, he just watched me, then at Jessica.

“you were never adopted?” was the first thing out of his mouth. I rolled my eyes and started walking to the house. “wait! I'm sorry. Let me explain.” he said. I looked at him for a long time, then sighed.

“come on in” I said and opened the door. I walked in, threw my stuff on the couch and walked into the kitchen. “want so water?” I asked. He shook his head no.

“ I, uh, I know this is going to sound odd” he said. I laughed. “I’m uh, well” he started but was interrupted by Janice walking in. she shuffled in, looked at him, then me, then him again. I laughed.

“Jan, this is Chad” I introduced. She smiled at him and hugged him, he smiled and hugged back. What the heck was I missing?!

“oh I know who he is dear. He called earlier this week. It was going to be a surprise you know. But stubborn you, just like your father.” she said in her frail shaky voice. I looked at her, then him. I know she had met my parents, when they dropped me off, but what do they have to do with this?

“what. The. Fuck?” I said. She looked at me, slightly glaring.

“honey, language. Such a smart girl, big vocabulary and that's what you choose to say?” she was still looking at chad. I chuckled a little.

“uh huh” I muttered. “well while you to talk, I’m going to check on Jessica” they nodded. I made my way up the stairs and into my room. Jessica was asleep curled up in my bed. I smiled and sat on the bed. I tucked her in and kissed her forehead.

I got up and walked down the steps. “she's not going to leave without Jessica, she's practically the girls mother.” I heard Janice say softly. I paused.

“then they both can come.” I heard chad say.

“come where?” I interrupted. They both looked at me. Janice smiled. And walked away, muttering something about a family affair. I looked at chad.

“lets sit?” he more asked than said. I nodded and sat on the couch. He said across from me. He looked at me for a while. He took a deep breath and started talking. “17 years ago, my girlfriend got pregnant. She got really sick though, and died after giving birth. I was young and scared so I named the baby and gave her up for adoption, I was certain it was whats best. Well I realized a long time ago that was a mistake, so I’ve been searching for her. I thought she had moved away, but I was wrong, she stayed right in the same town. I think I’ve found her”

I stared at him, my brain stopped working. My mind mulled through everything he was saying. “what did you name her?” yep, good one brain. I can win medals for my brilliance, I can graduate a head of my class, but I can put two and two together. Genius.

“iris, I named her iris” he said. He took my hand. That's when it all clicked. 17 years ago I was born, my mother died after giving birth, I never moved away from the place I was abandoned at. My name was iris!

“IRIS!” Jessica screamed as she ran down the stairs, I turned to look at her. I stood up and scooped her up. I sat us down on the couch. She cried into my shoulder. I rubbed her back and hummed for her.

“what's wrong? Shh. It's okay” I cooed. She just cried and cried. Finally she sniffled and looked at me. I wiped away the tears from her cheeks. “see its okay, no one's gonna hurt you.” I said gently. She nodded.

“f-f-fire” she she began crying again. My face crumbled and I hugged her close. I rocked her back and forth. This nightmare must have been a bad one. Nothing was calming her down. I stood up and rocked her.

“So just give it one more try to a lullaby
And turn this up on the radio
If you can hear me now
I'm reaching out
To let you know that you're not alone
And if you can't tell, I'm scared as hell
'Cause I can't get you on the telephone
So just close your eyes
Oh, honey here comes a lullaby
Your very own lullaby” chad began singing. Jessica was soon asleep. I looked at him and smiled. I sat back down Jessica held onto my arm, still sleeping. I kissed her forehead and contiued to rock her.

“her... her mom and dad died in a fire when she was three. She was trapped in a room with them. Fire and rescue tried to save her parents but they refused until she was out.” I said softly, afraid that if I spoke to loud she would have another nightmare.

After a moment of silence. “so this, this daughter you lost, you think this is me?” I asked. He looked at me and smiled.

“i know its you. You act just like your mom did, punch like she did to.” he chuckled. My eyes widened.

“oh, crap sorry about that. I thought the worst. I'm kinda paranoid” I said. He rolled his eyes and waved it off.

“i would only expect it.” he said. I laughed. He looked down. “i was wondering if you wanted to come live with me, try and fix this family” he said. I looked at him for a long time.

“I’m sorry but I can't” I said. He looked surprised his mouth fell open.

“why?” he asked still surprised.

“i can't leave Jessica here. I'm all the poor girl has left. No one will adopt her because of the fire. And Will, I just can't leave her.” I said. I got up and started walking to the stairs. He shot up and fallowed. He gently took her from my arms. To my surprise she snuggled right up to him.

“she's coming with. I wouldn't take her way from you. Janice was right, your basically her mother. She already lost one, why make her loose another.” he said. He paused at the top of the stairs. I walked to my room and opened the door. He walked in and set her on the bed. I tucked her in as he looked around the room.

He paused at a particular poster and laughed. “ my future hubby love kaylie” he read of the poster, I laughed.

“yea she's my best friend. She's kind of obsessed with you. Oh shit she was right. She always said you and I looked creepily alike.” I said. I looked at Jessica and stood up. I faced chad. Now that I think of it we do look a lot a like. Even the way we stand. I looked down. I understand why he did it. Heck I’m glade he did, if he didn't I wouldn't have been able to take care of Jessica.

“what do you say kiddo? Wanna move in with dad?”
♠ ♠ ♠
okay so i'll update randomly for the time being, mostly because it's the summer and i get bored. oh my gosh, so bored.
anyway comment and tell me what you think.
ENJOY
-R