Reckless

You got lost along the way.

Louisa.

I turned the map upside down and inside out in my hands.

Still, nothing. Nada. Zero understanding of the fucking London tube. I'd been going on the subways of New York since I was five years old, and mastered them by 7. But this was a new league, and I was unprepared.

And, of course, very American. I felt like everyone walking by could tell. I could read their minds as if they were snickering "bloody tourist" under their breath.

I let out a sigh and sat down on the bench, knowing that I probably already missed the train back to my hotel anyway. Slowly I put down the map of all the different train lines and slid my phone out of my pocket.

My breath paused, as it did every time as the screen read:

One missed call, blocked number.

Without a second glance I x'd out the notification. This wasn't anything new. At least she didn't try calling from another number today. Those days left me silent for a moment or two. But if there were anything this past year had taught me, it's to keep moving forward. I had to be independent and do things for myself.

But right now, it didn't look like that was really an option.

I scrolled down my contacts list, pausing at a number I stopped at on a regular basis. But today it held new meaning. Without realizing it, his smile crept into my head. He looked different; his hair a bit longer, his fit a bit more, well, fit. He looked good.

God, I'd missed him.

My finger lingered over his name, ready to call and ask for a pick-me-up. Surely it wouldn't be a big deal, and it might be a good time to catch up-

"Anyone sitting here?"

I looked up at the girl above me. She was beautiful; thick lips laced with red lipstick and dark hair matched to lovely, big brown eyes.

I shook my head softly. "No, go for it."

"Thank you love," she laughed, sliding down beside me. "my feet were absolutely killing me today."

Without thinking too much about it, I slid my phone back into my pocket.

"Those heels are amazing though. I saw them at fashion week last year-"

The girl paused, smiling. "You've been to fashion week?"

"In New York, oh yeah. Not this years, but," I paused, memories rushing back that I needed to push away quickly, "yeah. I fell in love, but I never got myself a pair."

"You're American?"

I nodded. "Yeah, just moved here actually. I'm Lou."

"Lou, it is certainly a pleasure to meet you." She used words that emphasized her crisp British accent. "I'm Abby. Where are you staying?"

I smiled. I needed a new friend. "Uptown London, in a hotel. I can't remember the name-"

"My boyfriend and I have a penthouse there! We're probably not too far off. Wow, what are these odds? So are you getting on the next train, then?"

"Uhm," I said, trying to look like I knew what I was talking about, "of course. Yes. The train to uptown London."

Abby smiled. "Great, I hate riding alone. My boyfriend is always so busy, he's great though. A right laugh. I'm sure you want to catch a British boy, yeah?"

Been there, done that. I thought to myself, only a twinge of bitterness and want in my own brain. But I shrugged. "They're an interesting bunch. A lot odder than American boys. But that's a good thing, of course. I'm actually here on business though, I'm a designer."

"Get out!" Abby squealed. She was your typical bubbly, beautiful girl. A bit of an air head perhaps, but beggars couldn't be choosers when it came to making a friend while lost in the London underground. "That is amazing. You've got to meet my boyfriend and his bunch, they'll love you. What are your plans for tomorrow dear?"

I shrugged, smiling shyly. "Nothing, really. I don't know anyone here besides..." I dragged the last word on for a moment, "besides a few old friends."

Abby didn't need to get a hold of the stake I already held in London. Earlier today was enough for that, and tomorrow afternoon would be a second dose. I needed new friends, and perhaps I would move back in on the old. But I would take this as a sign: move on. Let go. See what this offers.

With that the train rolled in, and Abby stood up. I followed her suit, smiling softly to myself.

Cheers to moving on.
♠ ♠ ♠
Louie made a friend... but the name sounds familiar, no?

And I haven't updated in months. A lot has been going on with me (school, personal stuff, etc) and I just haven't been as inspired. But I love this story and I want to finish it.

Comments were amazing and I hope they continue even though I probably don't deserve it. But I still have plans for this story and I hope you still want to read! Thanks for sticking with me.