‹ Prequel: Blind Photographs
Status: Updates every other day

Destination Detonation

The Encounter

“Your eyesight seems to be improving steadily, BCL.”

“That’s a relief, I have trouble reading my prescriptions sometimes.” I said, walking out of the doctor’s office and towards my apartment.

I’d often wondered about the meaning behind my lack of numbers, but dared not question it.
I clicked on my television set and sat on the couch. The channel slid into clarity as I shifted uncomfortably on the plastic material.

“Hello citizens! This is Fact News, the only news. We’re issuing a warning- stay inside tonight folks, there’s word of a raid coming through. Not to worry, officials have it under control, but some of our more sensitive citizens may not deal well with seeing these vicious outlaws. If you suffer from trauma or fainting, contact your doctor immediately. Remember, there’s a pill for that!”

I shut it off again. There were very many instances of this happening, it was nothing new. I headed for my various pill bottles for the nightly routine. My window crashed open and as the glass hit the ground, so did a man.

“Photo! Photo! Come on, we’re breaking you out of here!”

I stared terrified at the man with the red hair.

“Who are you? How did you find me?” I demanded, stepping back

He slipped a draculoid mask over his head and reached his hand out towards me. I backed away more, but he kept coming forward.

“We’re here to help you.” I stared at him incredulously.

“Help me? You’re starting a riot! Get out! I’m calling the police!”

“Photo, Photo!” He shouted when I moved closer to the emergency phone. “We need to get out of here. Come on!”

“Stop calling me that! Who are you?”

“Faith. Grace told us you’d be here.”

I froze with my hand on the set. That was my name, wasn’t it? And Grace, she was my sister. How would they know that? The city said she was dead.

“You’re going to come back with me, to the diner. We haven’t got a lot of time, though.”

“Who are you?” I demanded again. “What do you know about my sister?”

Was there still a chance for her?

“You'r- she’s really-” He fumbled.

There was a pounding on the door.

“BCL! Are you alright? We have reason to believe that a fugitive has broken into your home! Stay calm, we’re here to fix this problem.”

The man with the red hair looked at me again. The door was starting to splinter. He grabbed my hand and dragged me through the window and hustled me through the silent streets.

“I don’t know why you left- I don’t need to know. We just need to get you a sensory shock.”

The door to a decrepit old car swung open and I was pushed inside. The red haired man climbed into the passenger seat.

“Hang on, Photo. This is gonna be a bumpy ride!”

There were two other men in the car. The blonde haired one spoke.

“We’ll get her to D, who knows what withdrawal will do to her this time around.”

“We’ve been looking all over for you.”

I looked out the window. They were going too fast for me to jump. Who were they, and why did they say they knew me?

“Here- put on the radio. That might do it.”

Noise blasted through the car. I covered my ears with my eyes shut tight.