Status: ACTIVE.

Lightning Moments

Mika

I can’t believe I completely broke down like that. I could barely keep my calm in front of that kid. What was his name? It took me a second to remember; it was Liam. I couldn’t forget his warm brown eyes. His eyes looked like they held concern for me. Not many people tended to care about me, but he seemed like he really wanted to help. I actually let him. I let him break down one of my walls and it made me feel a hell of a lot better than I have in months.

“Dear? What’s your name, sweetheart?” Mrs. Janey snapped her fingers in front of my face to get my attention.

“I’m sorry. What is it?”

“I asked for your name, love.” She put her hand on my forehead to check if I had a fever.

Good thing the storm seemed to be over. At least I was able to think straight. If the storm were still going on, I wasn’t sure how I would be reacting. I took a deep breath before answering.

“Oh, I’m Mika Jacobs.” Mrs. Janey looked at me quizzically.

“I don’t think I’ve ever heard your name. Then again, I don’t think I’ve seen you in my office before. Usually the same crop of kids show up pretending to be sick to get out of going to class. What I’m trying to say is that if I haven’t seen you before, then you are part of the good batch of kids in this school,” said Mrs. Janey with a smile.

“You seem to be running a slight fever. I’ll give you some Tylenol for the fever and headache, but I’ll leave it up to you if you want to go home. You looked a bit pale when you came in, but you seem to have some color now. However, I’m not the best judge on how you feel, so it’s up to you, dear.”

“I think I’ll head back to class if you don’t mind. I’m feeling better now that the storm has passed. Thanks for helping me out. Oh, can I have a pass?” I jumped down from the cot and followed her to her desk.

I heard somebody else enter the office.

“Hello, Mrs. Janey! Long time no see, love. How’ve you been?” asked the voice.

Mrs. Janey looked annoyed. I guess this kid was one of her usual visitors. “Mr. Tomlinson, I suggest you get your bum to class.”

I turned around to look at the boy in red skinny jeans. “Oh, hey! You’re that bird from Chemistry! I’m Louis by the way. I’m sure you’ve heard of me.” He gave me a wink and held his hand out. I quickly shook it. “By the way, my bum is pretty sexy, Mrs. Janey. Unlike many other boys my age, my jeans are always placed where they should be so that everyone may appreciate the view. You know where to find me if you need me.” He smirked suggestively at her.

My attention was brought back to Mrs. Janey who handed me the pass. “Mr. Tomlinson, I suggest you head off to class with this young lady to make sure she gets there safely. And absolutely no funny business, you hear? Also, don’t test me, Louis, or I’ll send you to the headmaster’s office for being inappropriate.” She gave him a stern look before ushering us out of her office.

“I hope you feel better, love,” she said before shutting the door to her office.

We walked through the hallways to get to class. I was about to say something when Louis started talking.

“So, what class are you heading to?”

“English. I have Mr. Garret. I feel like his room is in the middle of freaking nowhere. It takes so long to get there and he always expects us to be on time.” I looked at him, expecting him to say something cheeky.

“I’m heading there too. I don’t really like that bloke, which is why I went to see Mrs. Janey. He is the only teacher that doesn’t appreciate my humor-filled nature. You would figure that an English teacher would enjoy my creative outbursts, but he completely puts down everything I say. I know I can be a handful, but that’s just who I am.” He looked at me sincerely and his face started to turn a shade of red. He was serious and I seemed to understand him a little better. He was just being himself.

“Umm….I’ve never said that to anybody before and here I go practically telling this to a stranger. You don’t mind if we keep this between us, yeah?” He looked at me with a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.

“Sure thing, Louis.” I smiled at him and he smiled back. We continued into the classroom and Louis ushered me in saying, “My lady.”

“Mr. Tomlinson! Stop flirting with the ladies and take a seat. Maybe you’ll actually learn something! As for you, Ms. Jacobs, why were you late?” Mr. Garret stared at me and towered over me like a giant.

Beads of sweat started to break out on my forehead and my hands were shaking. “I…uh….I was…” My knees were shaking as I tried to tell him what happened. Thankfully, somebody else spoke for me.

“Erm… Mr. Garret, she was the girl I brought to the infirmary. The nurse must have let her come back to class. In fact, she seems to have a blue pass in her hand and I believe Louis’ name might be written on it was well,” said Liam. His face was bright red, but he stood his ground, even though Mr. Garret was glaring at him.

“Very well, then. Show me your pass, Mika.” I handed him the pass and he inspected every part of it as if I could have magically forged something like that.

“Alright. Your story checks out. Now take a seat while I continue the lesson on Shakespeare,” Mr. Garret said through gritted teeth.

It was nerve-wracking to deal with him. He seemed like a drill sergeant and it was safe to say that he was my least favorite teacher.

From across the room, I could see Louis and Liam having a conversation about something. Louis had a mischievous grin on his face and Liam had a serious look on his face that led me to believe that Louis was up to something; something that Liam didn’t like. If they did anything, I didn’t get to see it because I fell asleep listening to the droning sound of the film on the projector telling of Shakespeare’s works. Hopefully Mr. Garret wouldn’t catch me sleeping, I thought.

The rain was pouring and the thunder seemed to get louder and louder. The fire grew even though the rain was relentless. The screams still came. I was terrified, but I was glued to my spot; I couldn’t move. I caught the sounds of sirens and before I woke up, I saw a flicker of black hair in the car that was being engulfed by flames. It was definitely a girl and her screams were piercing my mind.

A large book slammed in front of me and I clutched my head as the screams from my dream remained. The screeching sound ebbed as someone shouted, “No sleeping in class!”

I looked up and it was Louis. He gave me his characteristic smirk.

“You nearly gave me a heart attack, you know.”

“The bell rang, love. It’s lunch period. You’re lucky Garret didn’t catch you, or…”

“Or what, Mr. Tomlinson?” Mr. Garret interrupted.

“Or nothing. The best English teacher in the whole world will let us go because he loves us dearly and is a saint!” Louis seemed to be intimidated by him.

“Get out my class you two before I give you both a detention for being in my face for more time than is warranted.” Mr. Garret stood firmly and gave us a look.

Louis and I scampered out of the classroom. All the while, I was thinking that he was going to give us a detention for being in his class and having to put up with us longer when he would see us even more if he gave us the detention.

“Can he really do that?” asked Louis, glad to be out of that hell.

“I can still hear you!” boomed a loud voice. Next to me, Louis jumped at the sound.

“Crap! He’s everywhere! Anyway, Mika, Liam and I were going to hang out after school today and we were wondering if you wanted to tag along?” He looked at me with pleading eyes.

A thought popped into my head. This could have been what they were talking about before in class before I fell asleep. I pushed that thought back and thought about going. I decided against it because I needed to talk to Dani. I had to tell her about my dreams. I had to tell somebody.

“I’m sorry, Louis. Not today. I’m really not feeling well, but can we hang out another day?”

At first, he was disappointed, but after the mention of a rain check, his face perked up.

“Sure, love. Anytime you want. I have to get going, but I’ll see you later!”

He rushed off to wherever it was he went for lunch hour and I went to the library for some peace and quiet to figure things out. I was only sure of one thing: my memories were trying to tell me something. The only way I was going to figure this out was with somebody’s help and that was exactly what I was going to do. Dani was going to hear about everything later.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooooooo...........It's been a while since my last update and things have been a bit crazy. So, I hope you guys like this chapter after I made you all wait. Sorry!!!! :P In other news, I got Dare to Dream, which is an awesome book and you guys should get it! Also, I got a hard copy of my license!!! Therefore, I'm excited that I can now drive! I guess I'm rambling again, so I'll stop! What do you guys think of Louis, by the way? Let me know what you all think! Thanks for reading guys! :P