Status: In Progress

Where We Want to Be

Chug

“Chug. Chug. Chug. Chug. Chug. Chug” the bar chanted as I held the nozzle close to someone’s mouth letting the beer flow.

I had tried keeping a straight face as the customer had asked for a glass of soda, but once I started ringing the bell the entire bar started chanting as I let the poor unknowing victim
know of our rules.

The timer dinged letting us know a minute had passed, the entire bar cheered for a little bit before going back to what they were doing before and I smiled apologetically at the guy in front of me.

“Sorry about that, but its Tuesday and they would kill me if I didn’t make you chug.”

He chuckled, “It’s alright, traditions a tradition. I’m Ed by the way, are you new here?” he
asked.

I nodded, “It’s my third week here I think.” I served a few people before going back to him,

“Are you a usual here? I don’t think I’ve seen you around.”

Ed laughed, “I usually am, but school just got out and I’m home for break. So I’ll be a usual
soon enough” he winked, “My mates are waiting for me, it was nice meeting you.”

Zayn laughed, he’d been quiet the entire time until now when I gave him a confused look, “He wants you love, it was obvious.”

Shrugging I leaned on the bar, “Too bad I’m not interested in him.”

“Why? If I may ask?”

The last relationship I had been in was with Greg, and that enough made me want to stay away from dating anyone for a long time. I could be friends with guys, but I wouldn’t want to be romantically involved with one.

I was a runner, I ran whenever something got to difficult. And the best way to stay away from running was to stay alone, and I was okay with that.

“I’m just not in the mood to be with someone. I like being alone” I murmured with a soft smile.

He nodded, taking a drink of his beer, “It was nice seeing you again, but I’ve got to go. How much is it?”

Shaking my head I took his glass, “On the house. As a thank you for helping me with my niece.”

“No really” he insisted, “How much is it?”

“Zayn” I laughed, “it’s fine. Get going. It’s on the house.”

He finally gave in, saying goodbye and walking off. The rest of the night went by smoothly, only a few others who ordered soda or water and I made them chug. After midnight James came out of the kitchen to help me at the bar.

“So tall, dark and gorgeous. New arm candy?” he asked curiously.

“No. He’s just a friend, not even. He helped me with my niece today and I thanked him with a drink.” I insisted rolling my eyes.

James scoffed looking at me, “The way that boy was looking at you. Anything but friendly.”

Ignoring his comment I returned to cleaning up, “Whatever you say. Whatever you say”

“Is he an actor? I could have sworn I’ve seen his face somewhere” James asked intrigued, sometimes you couldn’t even tell that James was gay, but the minute he let it out it took
forever for him to act normally again.

I shook my head in amusement, “James. If you want to go for my friend, I don’t think he runs for your team.”

He cursed under his breath, “Well you are a lucky bird then, he looks like a sex god. And his
eyes, Lilah you’ve got a winner there. Don’t let him out of your sight. Did you get his number?

I decided ignoring his little gay crush on Zayn would only do me good for the rest of the night until I got to clock out and head home.

“Do you need a ride home?” James asked as we started locking up.

“I can walk thanks though.” I smiled sliding my phone out of my pocket I noticed a text message from Lou, begging me to help her out again in a few days for just a few hours.

Making a mental note to myself to reply in the morning I made my way into my apartment locking the door behind me. I was a bit paranoid that any moment Greg would show up and drag me back to the city, but then I realized he’d never find the money to fly over.

I didn’t even know if he had a passport in his possession.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah, it's short. sorry about that