Status: Let The Games Begin

Sick Little Games

Darby

“That seemed to go well.” Laurel laughed as I walked over to her after leaving Alex and Jack standing there alone in the hallway. I didn’t have to turn back around to know that they were still looking at me. Alex was most likely checking out my backside while Jack was probably staring at Alex doing so. Maybe Cooper was right, I did know Alex all too well. This could possibly work. I merely smirked and nodded my head at my best friend as I fell into step next to her.

“You and Cooper are still both fucking dead to me by the way.” I rolled my eyes and grinned, “I can’t believe I actually have to pretend to like that creep for God knows how long.”

“Oh quit being such a drama queen Darby, you used to like him, we all know you did.” Cooper rolled his eyes and squeezed in between the two of us, throwing his arm over my shoulders and then also over Laurel’s causing us all to walk side by side, “Just pretend it’s sophomore year again. Maybe then those feelings will come flooding back to you.”

“I don’t want those feelings back Coop.” I sighed, “He screwed me over big time. That’s part of the reason I didn’t want to have the bet be about him.”

“I still don’t know all what happened there.” Laurel spoke up, “You two had sex, so what? He had sex before that, and so did you. You two weren’t even dating as far as I can remember.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I mumbled as I sat down at our usual morning table that we had claimed the beginning of freshman year. To this day we still sat there every morning; it was almost a tradition for us all. Everyone knew we sat there, so they stayed away and that’s exactly how we liked it.

“So what happened with him just now. What all did you do?” Cooper pried. I was thankful for a subject change, even if the topic was still on Alex.

I rolled my eyes and grinned before I told them what happened, “I used to oldest trick in the book. I ran into him and dropped all my things on the floor. Naturally, being the gentleman he pretends to be, Alex helped me pick them up and when he noticed it was me he got all shocked. And naturally, being the sexy beast I am, he totally asked me out for coffee. I almost wanted to say no and make him chase after me, but I didn’t. He is just making this all too easy.”

“Well here he comes now, Darby.” Cooper winked as I cringed. I felt my body tense up as the chair next to mine skidded across the linoleum floor and a body fell into it. I didn’t have to look up to know that Alex was smirking next to me.

“Hey guys.” I smiled as Alex’s posse sat down with us. Not only was Jack present, but Rian Dawson, Kara Diakoulas, and a junior boy I recognized, but didn’t know sat down as well. I guess he noticed me looking at him funny because he immediately spoke up.

“Hi, I’m Grieco. Well, my first name is Alex but I go by Grieco so people don’t get me confused with Gaskarth over here.” He grinned and held out his hand to me.

“Hi Grieco, I’m Darby. That twat over there is Laurel and that’s Cooper.” I pointed to my friends with the hand that I wasn’t using to shake Grieco’s hand, “So why are you all sitting here?”

“We just wanted to join you.” Rian said nervously, “Why would you think that something is up? Nothing is going on!”

“Shut up Rian.” Alex said through gritted teeth, “So can I see your schedule Darby?” He asked as he looked down at me. I sucked in a deep breath and forced a smile that I prayed looked realistic.

“Why so you can stalk me?” I giggled flirtatiously, “Just let me get it out of my bag.”

“Maybe I want to protect you from all the boys that are going to be chasing after you this year.” Alex winked. Damn he was good. I chuckled lightly as I pulled out the wrinkles piece of paper and handed it to him. He scanned it over quickly and frowned, throwing it on the table in a huff, “We have absolutely no classes together.”

“Such a shame,” I pouted as I looked over at Laurel and Cooper who were both suppressing their laughter as best they could, “I’ll miss your charm in my classes.”

“We have class together!” Jack chirped, “Math!”

“So I guess you’re the dumb class with me.” I winked as he frowned and crossed his arms, “It’s okay Jack, we’re dumb together.”

“Damn straight!” He grinned, “I’ve missed having you around Darby, where have you been hiding the past two years?”

“In plain sight, I suppose.” I shrugged, “You all just never came looking.” I smiled. It only faltered when I looked over at Kara who was staring down at her dress playing with a loose string. I was surprised she even came over to sit with us. She was probably only there because Rian was. Abruptly, she looked up and made eye contact before she whispered something to Rian that made him nod his head.

“Uh, I’m going to walk Kara to first period. I’ll see you all later.” Rian waved at everyone before they walked away together hand in hand. I watched as everyone on the opposite side of the table instinctively slid down a seat so they could be closer before we continued talking.

“So when we go out for that coffee today, do you want me to pick you up? Or you could just ride with me while we drop off Jack and then we go out for coffee after.” Alex suggested.

I merely shrugged and dug through my purse, throwing my keys at Laurel, “Drive my car home?” I asked her. She nodded her head excitedly and began talking adamantly with Cooper about driving before I turned back to Alex, “Looks like I’m riding with you.”

“Great!” Alex grinned, “See you after class then.” He stood up as the bell to get to first period rang.

“See you.” I muttered as I began to walk off in the other direction.

“Rachel, wait!” Alex shouted. I spun around on my heel to see him standing there with his hands on his hips and a smirk playing at the corners of his lips, “No hug?”

I rolled my eyes and looked over at Laurel and Cooper who were laughing. I forced a smile and walked over to him, allowing his arms to wrap around me tightly. I breathed in deep, taking in his scent. It was one of the many things that had probably never changed about him. He still smelled like a mixture of mint toothpaste and cheap cologne. It was a nice scent, one that I actually enjoyed, but when I noticed that the hug was going on too long to be friendly, I pulled away and looked up at him, “I’ll see you after school.”

“This is so going to work.” Cooper whispered as we walked off down the hall to first period, “What’s phase two?”

I grinned as I turned to look back at Alex who was still watching me before I looked back at Cooper, “Time to make him squirm.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Two comments for a new chapter :~)

Thanks for the comment closedcasketguts!

comment / recommend / subscribe!


- Sommer x