Status: In Progress

Wonderland

Chapter 9

I emerged from the bedroom ten minutes later, fully dressed. I had chosen to wear a black fitted coat which was tight around the waist before coming out in a skirt. As for footwear I found a pair of black combat boots. Comfortable and practical.

Hatter was laid back on a black leather couch, fully stretched out with an arm thrown across his eyes and the other dangling. There were two mugs beside him. I strolled over and, after smelling them both, took the right one. Hatters arm moved and I noticed him watching me.

“Thanks for the coffee… and the clothes.” I said awkwardly and raised my mug to him slightly.

“My pleasure.” he replied and put his arm back over his eyes.

There was an awkward silence as I just stood there looking at him, then I realised what I was doing, shook myself and looked around for a chair. I found one relatively easily and went to sit down. It was big and round with a flat base. It was made of a brown material and revolved all around. But most importantly it was the comfiest chair ever.

After taking a sip of my coffee and realising it was too hot I leant off the chair and placed it on a table a couple of feet ahead of me. Then I sat all the way back in the chair and threw my legs over the side. Pure bliss. Well it was until I remembered Hatter’s injury.

“Hey Hatter? Can I take a look at that wound now?” I asked, sitting up.

“If you must.” he sighed and held out the dangling arm.

I wandered over to him and looked at the floor.

“I’m… erm… going to need you to take off your… erm… shirt.” I murmured suddenly extremely embarrassed.

“Haha! Sure. Anything to get me out of these clothes eh Alice.” he laughed, winked at me then shrugged off his clothes.

I won’t go into how his body looked because, quite frankly, I don’t think there are words to describe it. What I will go into is how the wound looks. Because that’s what you all want isn’t it? Blood and gore not cute lads and their bodies right? No? Well tough that’s what you’re going to get. The wound was a clean shot. In one end and straight out the other, hitting nothing but muscle. So that was good. But if the wound wasn’t cleaned chances are it would get infected. So I went to his kitchen, filled a bowl with water, added a little salt and grabbed some cotton wool balls before returning to Hatter.

“Chances are this will sting.” I warned.

“I wont make a sound.” he replied.

When I put the water on the wound he kept true to his word and stayed silent but by the way his arm clenched and he winced I could tell it hurt. Hatter’s not so invincible after all. I smiled.

“So Alice. How do you know how to do this sort of thing?” he asked, breaking the silence. “Are you a nurse?”

“Training to be a vet actually. I thought it can’t be that much different.” I stated.

“Oh right. So that makes you…?”

“19. And you?”

“I’m 22. But as you may have noticed, time doesn’t really work here.” he replied.

I eyed him carefully thinking he looked no older than 20 but grabbed a bandage and started wrapping it over a cotton wool pad and around his shoulder.

“You’re not naturally blonde are you?” he prised.

It was then that I remembered I had dyed my hair a while back. It was due a top up really. My roots must be showing.

“Nope. Natural brunette. Why?”

“No reason.”

We were silent for a few moments. But again Hatter broke that.

“Alice of Legend was blonde.” he stated just as I finished before standing, rolled his shoulder back and smiling at me.

“Thank you very much Alice.”

“Who is this Alice of Legend?” I asked.

Hatter cocked his head to the right and frowned.

“Alice. There will be a time for you to know that. Now is not that time. I don’t know about you but I want to go to bed. Are you sure you wont join me?” he teased but the rejection was still fresh in my mind.

“No. I wont. Good night Hatter.” I waved dismissively and returned to the chair.

I felt his gaze linger on mine for a while more, before he blew a soft sigh and turned to leave. I sighed myself then and drank my coffee. The usual effects of coffee did not appear to take effect as before I knew it I could feel myself drifting off to sleep. So I shut my eyes, rested my head on the arm of the huge chair and stifled a yawn.

Hatter’s POV.
I couldn’t sleep knowing she was out there on the chair while I was in this huge, warm bed. It wasn’t something a proper gentleman would do. Why she wouldn’t sleep on a couch is beyond me. It would surely be more comfortable. I shut my eyes and sighed again. She was definitely something but whether she was the something. The one to save our world was yet to be discovered. If I’m honest I’m in hope that she isn’t Alice of Legend. That would entail a far more dangerous path for her to follow. One that I am not sure I could let her wander on her own.

I rolled out of bed and stretched. I would argue with her that she should take the bed and that, if she must insist, I would sleep on the couch instead, until she agreed. It wasn’t right that she should have to sleep on the chair. Especially after all she’s been through and how much she has done for me. I would give my life for her.

I opened the bedroom doors and stared at the chair.

“Alice you really should just come to bed. I’ll take the co-” I started then stopped. She was asleep.

I smiled and wandered over to her. She looked so peaceful. I could have sat and watched her all night as she slept but we both needed our rest. So instead I lifted her gently and took her into the bedroom. Placing her on the bed made her stir a little bit but she didn’t awaken so I pulled the quilt over her and she smiled in her sleep. Maybe she was dreaming of home. I would never know.

I bent my head down and kissed her on the forehead.

“Good night Alice.” I said quietly, grabbed a blanket and headed out the room, shutting the doors behind me softly.

I took my place on the big white couch near the fire place, stretched out, yawned and pulled the blanket over me. It may not be the comfiest of beds but it would do. I shut my eyes and let the sleep engulf me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last one for tonight kids. Stay tuned for more Wonderland action! Night- Emily