‹ Prequel: The Academy

Not So Reckless and Relentless

Chapter 1

Sam came around and opened the car door for me, he was always the gentleman. We both looked up at my parent’s house and he sighed. “Do we have to do this?” He complained.

“It’ll be fine,” I smiled, grabbing his hand. “It’s been four years now since we started dating, three since we moved in together. They’ll come around soon.”

“Why are they having this party anyway? It’s not like the band hasn’t been on tour before.” Sam turned his baseball cap backwards as we walked towards the house.

“According to my dad, Warped Tour is a big deal to his record company,” I explained. “You guys are headlining it so it’s even more of a big deal.”

As we walked up the path Danny, Cam, Ben, and James joined us. I opened the door and saw people bustling about. Black Veil Brides were supposed to be here as well but so far no sign of the five warpaint clad guys nor Cassie who would have come with Christian.

“Riley!” My father came up to me and hugged me. “Sam.” He held out his hand for Sam to shake then shook the other’s hands and walked away.

“See, he likes you,” I whispered, wrapping my arm around his.

“No, he tolerates me.” We walked through the kitchen and into the backyard. “We just need to accept the fact we will probably never be accepted by your parents.”

I sighed and sat down at one of the many tables that were scattered around the backyard. My parents and I never really saw eye to eye, at least not on much, but I did want them to accept and like Sam. They had to eventually.

“Oh Riley, screw them,” Ben laughed. “You and Sam are happy and that’s all that matters. If they don’t accept you two, fuck ‘em.”

“I guess you’re right,” I sighed.

“No, you know he’s right,” Cam chimed in. “Honestly your parents will have to accept you, it’s been four years. But if they don’t it’s not the end of the world because you and Sam love each other.”

I rolled my eyes and looked around, seeing all the people my father had invited. That’s when I saw them walk in. Katie Matthews and Nick Gomez, my old best friends, until they tried to kill me. Katie’s face looked skinnier than it used to, her skin yellowing, and her hair thinning out considerably. Nick didn’t look any better either. More yellowing skin, receding hairline, and from what I could tell from where I was sitting, yellow teeth. If they weren’t my best friends at one point, I would have thought they were bums off the street. I hadn’t even seen them since the night of that party.

Quickly, I put my head down and started ‘searching’ in my bag for something just to make sure they didn’t see me. I moved random things to the side then would move them to the opposite side. I kept peeking up only to see them look around the yard, presumably for me. I know my mother didn’t let them in, nor would my father, so they probably had to sneak past.

“What are you looking for, Riley?” Sam asked, looking over my shoulder and into my bag.

“It’s not what I’m looking for,” I sighed. “It’s who’s looking for me and who I am trying to hide from.” I could see him give a confused look from the corner of my vision. “Katie and Nick are here.” Instantly his face lit up with understanding and everyone else at the table looked up at the porch steps. I felt Sam grab my hand and squeeze it, calming me down a bit, allowing me to relax in my chair.

“What the fuck happened to them?” James asked. They had all seen Nick and Katie at a New Year’s barbecue in Laguna back when we went to Kloss.

“I’m guessing years of failed rehab stints and relapsing cocaine abuse,” I sighed. They luckily still hadn’t spotted me; I had relaxed enough in my chair that I looked like a child. “Do you guys mind if we leave a bit early?” I asked, nervously. “I don’t want to risk them seeing me.”

“Yeah, we can have a barbecue at our place tomorrow instead,” Sam smiled at me. The six of us stood up and went over to the gate leading out of the backyard, the only way not to be seen by them. “Guys, bring your girls tomorrow. It’s a family party.”

We got into our separate cars and drove our own ways. Sam held my hand the entire way home, squeezing it whenever I took a deep breath. Every time he’d squeeze, I’d smile over at him. It was dark when we arrived back at home.

“I’m tired,” I faked a yawn. “I think I’ll just go to bed.” I kissed Sam and started upstairs. In reality I was a bit shaken up about seeing Katie and Nick for the first time in years, especially in the state they were in. I heard footsteps behind me, signaling Sam following me.

“I’ve known you long enough to know when you’re lying,” Sam called. “I know you’re bothered by what you saw and you had a right to be. I’m coming up to bed with you.”

We got to our bedroom where Sam stripped down to his boxers and I into shorts and a cami. We lay facing each other at first but we would cuddle in our sleep. I closed my eyes and felt Sam stroke my cheek with his thumb,

“Riley?” He whispered after five minutes of silence.

“Hmm?” I moaned, not opening my eyes but making a slight movement with my eyebrows.

“Will you…marry me?”

My eyes shot open at that moment. “Are you serious?” I asked. He nodded. “I don’t know, Sam,” I sighed. “I mean I love you more than anything and would love to spend the rest of my life with you.”

“So say yes,” He retorted.

“But I want my parents to accept us first and I don’t think getting engaged is the way to get that to happen.”

“I thought you were going to take Ben’s advice?” He sighed loudly.

“And I am. I just think it would be better on us if we waited until they accepted us.” Sam didn’t say anything, he just turned over. “Sam,” I said, placing my hand on his shoulder which he just shrugged off. I sighed and turned the other way hoping to get some sleep tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
How could anyone say 'No' to Sam?! Like really?!
Anyway, I hope you like this update! Another will be coming soon! But in the meantime, I would really appreciate it if you guys checked out my original fiction that I'm hoping to be posting on here again! It's called 'Coven' and I'm really in need of some feedback! :D
Anyway, comment/subscribe/recommend and all that good stuff! :D