Status: Sort of on hiatus...updates will be slow

Only Fools Rush In

Chapter 1

With the cold, late-February breeze hitting his face as he stood waiting for the dreaded bus, Jack had a feeling that this new school would be just the same as the last.

The kids would be the same, with their hurtful words and painful blows. The teachers would be the same, with their blind eyes and impassive manner. And his parents would be the same, with their dismissive conduct and intolerant behaviour.

With being a senior and having to deal with this for the past 4 years, you’d think the boy would be used to it, but life’s never been fair to him and that’s what he’s sadly used to. Jack’s not the smartest. Jack’s not the best looking. Jack’s not the most talented. Jack Barakat is average, is what you could say.

Maybe even less than that with how everyone treats the raven haired teenager.

Pulling his hood further over his head and turning up the volume of his iPod, Jack continued ignoring the other people who were also waiting for the bus.

His parents didn’t want to move house, so the teen would have to drive the forty-five minute trek every day, to and from school. However, his car was currently in the garage getting serviced and his parents would never think of offering him a ride to school. So today he would have to take the filthy, foul-smelling bus, to his displeasure.

Turning his head to look down the street, the number 8 bus was making its way to the stop, kicking Jack’s nerves into overdrive. As the vehicle got closer, the teenager thought of how he could avoid ever going to school. There was still time for him to run, or maybe he just wouldn’t get on the bus, but then the fear of how his parents would react pushed those ideas away.

At the same time as the bus stopped in front of the group, Jack took out his headphones and let the others board before he did. Once the return ticket was paid, he strolled down the walkway to an empty window seat near the back. Sitting down, the raven haired boy quickly put the headphones back in and turned the music up, Good Charlotte blasting nicely.

The 17 year old watched the quiet town pass by, praying that the bus would break down or crash, just something that would stop him from going to school, though that most likely wouldn’t happen.

Feeling his phone vibrate in his jeans’ pocket, he let out a sigh while he retrieved the device. There’s not many people who have his phone number since friends are hard to come by, so it was most likely his brother or sister.

Hey bro, have a great day! Be yourself
and make some friends, please J love you x


Smiling at his sister’s text, he replied with a ‘I’ll try x’ and pressed send.

Jack’s siblings don’t live at home with him; both are older and they moved out when they got into college. They were the two people he could count on, that he could really be his true self with. Now he’s only left with his parents who like to make sure the boy knows how much they prefer May and Joe over him.

As the journey progressed, the boy noticed as they got closer to the school, there were some more students who got on which was a relief. On his first day, he really didn’t want to have gotten on the wrong bus. The backpacks they wore and the books they held calmed those worries.

He tapped his fingers against his skinny jean-clad thigh, making shapes of the chords that went along with the song. Jack’s guitar is his comfort. Sure, he’s no Billie Joe Armstrong or anything, but he’s alright. So when he felt the strangers staring at him, he tuned into the song that was playing and concentrated on the chord changes, the bass line and the drum beat.

The bus was filling up and becoming louder, but still no one sat next to him. He just wanted this day to end before it had really begun. As they turned a corner and passed a junction, the teen could see the large school building come into view. Sickness washed over him and a craving to hide from the world set in.

A girl who looked a couple years younger than him stood up and made her way to the front of the bus, seeming eager to get to school by the huge grin on her face. Jack couldn’t help but think bad of her; that she was most likely spoiled and everyone only loved her for her good looks and brilliant grades.

Why couldn’t people love Jack for his awkward style and self-consciousness, he wondered.

They came to a halt at the edge of the campus, where there were large and small crowds of kids everywhere, some who were laughing and others who were just in conversation. It was a normal sight, something that would usually welcome people.

But for the insecure boy, it was a trap. Everyone acted this way at his old school, though they never treated him with the same kindness. It was almost as if he had a plague and if the other kids spoke to him, or even came near him, they’d be contaminated.

The students all sauntered off onto the sidewalk, Jack shuffling after them. He was quick to get himself inside the foreign high school, ignoring the gawking teenagers he passed on the way.

Using the signs placed everywhere, the boy managed to get himself to the reception area in a few minutes, again with people staring at him like he was a deranged animal. Sometimes, he really thought he was with the way people acted around him.

“Can I help you?” a female voice asked out from nowhere, making him spin around trying to find the source. He found a little woman, about 50 or so, moving around some leaflets on a table with her glasses on the edge of her nose as she gave the new boy a look that could almost be described as a glare.

Feeling slightly more uncomfortable, Jack started fidgeting with the toggles of his hoodie. “Umm… I’m Jack Barakat, I’m a new student here?” somehow it came out as a question, making him sound like an idiot. However, understanding washed over her face and the glare soon turned into a pleasant smile.

“Oh yes! I have all the paperwork you’ll need right over here.” she carried on mumbling something while shifting stacks of paper around until she pulled out a small bundle for him. “Here we are! Your timetable, your homeroom class, a map of the school, and this is just a form we need you and your parents to fill out. Bring it back tomorrow, if you can.” she gave the teen a warm smile, one that made him relax a little.

“If you need help with anything, you can come straight back here.”

After she gave him some more information, she shooed him off insisting that he‘d be late. Leaving Jack to wander the ever expanding halls, he drifted through the mass of people while looking for the right room. The map told him it was near the science department but he seemed to be at the complete opposite side of the school.

After about 10 minutes of aimless walking, Jack finally found himself to be right outside the correct door. The halls were empty, but that was because the bell had rang 5 minutes ago.

Taking a deep breath, he opened the door and walked in, avoiding more staring eyes as he made his way over to the teacher’s desk. The raven haired boy already knew the reasons why they all kept their eyes trained on him. He’s new, he’s ‘different’ and he’s really tall.

“What can I do you for?“ asked an older man, probably in his late 50s, with a curious expression on his face. His hair was short and gray, balding a little on top, with a similar coloured beard.

“I’m Jack Barakat, I’m new…”

“Yes, of course. I’m Mr. Arnold, I’m your homeroom teacher and, if I’m not mistaken,” the man looked at his own timetable taped onto his desk, “your Chemistry teacher.”

Jack mentally noted where this room was so he’d remember where to go that period. The teacher spoke to him some more before instructing the timid boy to find an empty seat. With all the students gaping at him, he darted past them all until he found an unoccupied desk in the corner of the room at the back.

While the older man carried on explaining the daily announcements, the boy’s eyes were downcast as he fiddled with the hem of his hoodie in an awkward attempt to look as if he didn’t feel like a complete outcast already.

Trying to ignore everyone, he got a burning sensation that people were talking about him, so trying to put the feeling to rest he gazed up at the room. Jack’s eyes scanned the place stealthily, that was until he found two boys a few desks away obviously discussing him. Their heads were close together with a look of contemplation on their faces while their eyes kept flashing over to the new boy.

They hadn’t noticed that Jack was well aware of them, so the raven haired boy took some notes on the two Jocks. It was clear they were on the football team due to their varsity jackets, though they didn’t look like your normal players.

One had short, black hair with brownie-blue eyes, his body pretty buff looking for only being a senior. He also had a nose ring, which was something you never saw on the football team.

The other boy had a buzz cut, his face looking really friendly especially when he smiled. Another thing that surprised Jack since they were meant to be Jocks. But maybe Jack was just used to the stereotypical football player from his old school. Maybe these kids were different.

The new boy’s thoughts were interrupted by the shrill sound of the bell ringing, followed by chairs scrapping against the floor and chatter. With a hefty sigh, Jack got up from his seat and followed the line of people out the door, praying that his day would pass quickly.

***

Finally, Jack was sat in the class he had been craving to be in since the day started. Music. There wasn’t anything more he loved; whether it be listening to it or playing it. It was a daily need, something he relied on to keep him strong during all the shit he goes through.

The room was bright and warm, with a wall of windows letting the light from outside wash in. The day looked miserable but with the colourful posters lining the three other walls of the room, it improved things.

Jack still didn’t know anyone; people kept their distance, letting him struggle to find his classes alone as they watched with slight amusement. The boy had to go through the same thing over and over again in each new class to his dismay, and lunch was only slightly more traumatic. Sure, no one had beat on him which was a huge change from his old school. But, it was only his first day.

The students in this class, however, all looked like they were here for the music and not because it was required. Jack had been the first to enter since his subject before was held a couple rooms down the hall, giving him time to recuperate from the day and also observe his classmates filing in.

Again, he was sat alone. However, this period was different since no one felt the need to keep their eyes on him. Jack could already tell he would favour this class over the rest of them, and he hadn’t even done anything yet!

Just as his notebook was taking more of his interest, he heard the door shut and the babbling students quieten. He could hear the person who had strolled in, most likely the teacher, walking around their desk shifting papers and other malarkey. Jack felt it would be best to keep his head down and try to blend in with the other kids here.

“So guys, how was your weekend?” asked a voice that sounded rather young to be of teacher’s.

As everyone answered the man’s question enthusiastically, the black haired boy decided to let his eyes wander up to see if said person was as young as he supposed. To his disbelief, he was young. And even more shocking was that his teacher was attractive.

Jack felt his cheeks redden as his eyes danced over the guy who was leaning casually against the front of his desk, his white shirt tucked into black jeans with a dark coloured tie hanging from his neck.

The teacher looked around 22 years old at the most, his sense of style adding to that thought. His brown choppy hair framed his face incredibly with his deep, brown eyes sparkling under thick eyebrows as the light hit them. He had a brush of stubble that matured him a little, but added to how handsome he was. And then there was that heavenly smile he’d worn since walking into the room.

The new boy couldn’t comprehend how someone so good-looking could possibly work in a high school. It didn’t happen, definitely not in Jack’s life. All of his previous teachers had been your classic boring educator who actually hated children of all ages. The boy wondered if he’d fallen asleep while waiting for the real teacher to walk in…

That was until the attractive man turned to look at the raven haired student, a slight smirk setting onto his face which gave Jack butterflies. “And we have a new kid joining us, I see.”

The young man checked something on his desk before turning back with the same smirk. “Jack Barakat, I’m Mr. Gaskarth. Welcome to my class; it’s a little unorthodox, but I’m sure you’ll fit right in.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is my first Jalex fic. I love reading them so i thought i'd give writing one a go :)
Let me know what you think so far. All feedback is super healpful!

<3