Status: Sort of on hiatus...updates will be slow

Only Fools Rush In

Chapter 2

Strolling down the busy corridor after having a free period, Alex couldn’t help notice all the eyes that were on him. They were from girls mostly, including other members of staff, and it had been that way since his first day teaching at the high school. Though, the young man didn’t mind one bit.

Alexander Gaskarth had it all; the looks, the personality, the friends, the money. He was content with his life, loved how people took notice of him and treated him well. Throughout his days it was that way, having no siblings to share the limelight with. The brunette got people’s attention by just walking into a room and he could brighten anyone’s day with his notorious smile.

Stepping through his classroom threshold, he was pleased to find his students hushed at the sight of the man and staring up at him with bright eyes. Alex knew the effect he had on people and used it to his advantage, so with always being his charming self he managed to get through to his class easily.

Music was the man’s passion; the one thing in life where he felt at home, comfortable, something he was truly gifted at. Ever since he can remember, music was the one thing that kept him motivated and inspired. His life seemed pretty perfect, but without this precious style of art, it was nothing and neither was Alex.

Teaching wasn’t his first career choice. No, the young man wanted to be in a band, writing songs that connected to people in a way that nothing else could. Singing in front of thousands of fans who looked up to him in admiration. And performing with friends he couldn’t live without, who shared his hopes and dreams.

It was his parents who pushed those thoughts away though, telling him to stop being idiotic and to get a real job with a steady income. With music being such a huge part of the brunette’s life, he needed to do something involving it. It was his friend Matt who suggested going into the educational route, and since he had done well at school, it was simple enough for him to get into college.

“So guys, how was your weekend?” Alex asked the class, genuinely wanting to know. He preferred having a more friend-like relationship with his students since it was a better way of getting them to communicate with him.

As the seniors answered him feverously to his delight, he took note of who was in attendance. The usual suspects gave him flirty eyes, biting the tip of their pencil in an attempt to look somewhat seductive while Alex continued to observe them with enjoyment.

Yes, he found some of them to be very attractive but he wasn’t that type of guy, surprisingly. In his younger days he had slept around a bit, but when he got his heart broken at the age of 19, he stopped his ways. When the girl he had loved slept with someone else, Alex learned how awful it felt to be in that position. And now, all he wanted was someone who brought him the happiness he longed for and to give them the same in return.

Letting his sight explore the rest of the room, he came across someone with beautifully dark, brown eyes looking back at him. A gaze that sent a pleasant, yet surprising, shiver down his back. The new guy he thought as a smirk set onto his features.

“And we have a new kid joining us, I see.” it was clear to Alex that the boy was terribly shy, more so than the usual newcomers.

The brunette checked the register on his desk before turning back to the black haired student with the same smirk. “Jack Barakat, I’m Mr. Gaskarth. Welcome to my class; it’s a little unorthodox, but I’m sure you’ll fit right in.”

As soon as Alex introduced Jack, the eyes of everyone in the room were fixed on him, and in some twisted way, the teacher enjoyed the discomfort he saw. The way the raven haired boy’s cheeks flushed, the way he squirmed in his thick hoodie, and the way he looked up at Alex from under his dark lashes.

Not wanting to push the boy too much, he instructed the class to get on with the worksheets he’d handed out the precious week while he collected the homework that was due in. As always, the teacher witnessed a couple of kids quickly trying to complete the work they had forgotten about before he got to them. And as always, Alex gave them the extra few minutes.

Once everything was handed in and the pupils were writing away and listening to their iPods, the young man decided he better make Jack a bit more comfortable in the classroom. He never liked people feeling out of place, especially in such a creative class, because you never got their best work.

Taking a seat on the kid’s desk, he got to inspect him closer.

Though he wore bulky clothes, it was clear he had a thin frame; one that wasn’t sickly skinny but wouldn’t suit many people. His naturally dark hair was styled nicely, with his side bangs styled to show off his amazing eyes. The boy’s skin had a slight brown tint to it, complementing everything about him and making him more pleasing to the eye.

Now, Alex wasn’t one for breaking forbidden rules, not often anyway, so it was natural for him to study someone, even students. He appreciated the human form.

“My class is the best you’ll ever experience in your educational years, and I’m not speaking out of my ass. Though this is only true if you are obsessive about music, like I am.” the young man grinned. “My teaching style isn’t the same as your mundane lecturer; I believe if you have fun and you’re relaxed, then you take more in. Creativity shouldn’t be restricted by rules, that’s why I’m so easy-going.”

Jack look at the older male doubtfully, like everyone did when Alex explained his methods. “Seriously dude, school blows and I know that, which is why I want my students to feel like this class is a refuge where they can be themselves without judgement. During theory work, I allow you to listen to your iPod as long as it’s not disturbing anyone else. Practical, it’s all about your imagination and how well you can put a thought into an action.”

The raven haired kid nodded with a smile, still mute to Mr. Gaskarth’s displeasure. So he tried a different approach.

“So Jack, what’s your instrument?”

With the question, the new student looked up at his elder with a sparkle in his eye. Alex could tell this was all he wanted to do and talk about. It was clear he was eager to learn more and the teacher cherished that. The majority of the class were keen learners which made his job a lot more straightforward.

“Guitar. I’ve been playing for a good few years now, but I still suck.” he replied with a small chuckle.

“Hey, I’m sure you don’t. And if you do, then I’m certain we can fix that.” with a wink, Alex got the new guy smiling some more.

The teacher got off the desk for a moment to retrieve his own prized possession; a bright green, electric guitar. Plugging it into a small amp, he carried it back over to the boy’s desk where he took his seat once again on top of the worktop.

“With guitar, anyone can play it. So I have faith that you can, especially after so many years.” he took a pick out from his pocket and started strumming a simple mix of chords then embellished the tune with a short solo. “It helps if you’re influenced by awesome bands who can actually play.”

“I can assure you that I have a great music taste! Ranging from Greenday to Jack’s Mannequin. And definitely including, the amazing Blink 182. They are Gods and I don’t care what anyone says, I will defend them with my life!” Jack slammed his hands down on the desk, making his point clear as he beamed.

Alex couldn’t stop the smile spreading across his own face at the mention of the bands and enthusiasm the newbie had. He instantly started playing the intro to Dammit, and watched the boy’s face light up even more.

“Holy fuck! You like Blink?!”

“Hey, no swearing in my classroom!” the teacher smirked, telling the alarmed boy that he wasn’t too strict about that sort of thing. “And, yeah I do. They’re the closest thing to perfection, in my book.” he then lowered his voice down so it was only heard between Jack and himself. “A lot of these kids think Metro Station and shit like that are ‘great bands’. They have no idea what decent music is.”

To this, Jack let out a hearty laugh, which would be the first of many that afternoon. The smile on Alex’s face only widened as they spent time going over their influences, and music that was in the charts for unknown reasons.

But then a question the teacher asked darkened the mood a little, to his dismay.

“So why did you move here so late? I mean, you only had a few months left before finishing.” Alex was all too aware of the boy’s instant unease, and though it was only mumbled, he could have sworn Jack said something about not belonging.

Usually the young man’s curiosity got the better of him, but he decided to leave it alone for now. He knew he would get along well with the new kid and didn’t want to jeopardise anything, particularly if it effected the boy’s grade.

Instead of questioning further, he gave Jack a couple worksheets to complete even though there was only 15 minutes left of class. When Alex got back to his desk, he observed the classroom of hardworking students before turning to his computer. It was time for some investigating.

Going into the school’s records, he quickly found Jack Barakat in the lot. Scanning over everything for something to pop out, he noticed quite a few bullying incidents. The raven haired boy’s attendance was also a worry, showing how frequently he was absent over the past year.

His grades weren’t the worst, but they weren’t that great either. The only class that showed promise was music, and all Alex wanted to do was make sure Jack continued with the good work. It was even more apparent how much the kid loved the subject.

***

The drive home was, as always, filled with Alex’s favourite tunes, his voice producing perfect harmonies with the singers. The day hadn’t been bad at all, but there was nothing like getting away from the workplace without being stuck in traffic.

The drive to the man’s apartment was a lengthy 40 minutes, though that just gave him more time to belt out the song lyrics, instrumental parts as well.

Finally getting to his block, he parked his car in the designated place then made his way inside. Stepping into the elevator, Alex pressed the P|H button, taking him straight to his lovely home. Yes, it’s a penthouse apartment. And no, he cannot afford to pay for it on his teacher’s salary. Mommy and daddy help out.

Stepping out into his warm and inviting home, he went straight to the kitchen to fetch some food. As he passed the walls lined with pictures of his family, there was the same bittersweet feeling he always got when looking at the pictures.

People thought Alex Gaskarth had everything. They thought he had the perfect life.

Although, even the most sought-after lifestyles have their downfalls, and Alex Gaskarth was no exception. Sure, he had a lot of friends, but they all had careers like himself which took up a lot of their time. And as for family, his were all back in England leaving him alone to carry on with his life.

When his parents found out their son was bisexual, it was clear to say they were disappointed in the boy. As a result, when Alex was old enough to live on his own, they decided to move back to their original country and let their boy do what he wanted.

Sure, they check up on him every so often and transfer money into his account to help pay for things, but it’s all just to make sure he stays in Baltimore. They don’t want their family name being ‘humiliated’ in such a way if he came home.

Alex’s apartment is filled with photos of his dear family, but he wonders if his parents’ house is filled with pictures of him, the son they are ashamed of.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little introduction to Alex :)
Let me know what you think, please.

Thank you to:
reckless-and-brave
Jennalyn!
DeaD SOUL
SicklySweetRomance
misfittoy15
Forever.Falling.Down
all time perv.

For commenting! It means a lot, and it's seriously the most comments i've ever gotten on the first chapter of a story! Usually i get, like, one haha!

<3