It's Time to Be Happy Again

Chapter 1

“I’m leaving.” The words came out cold and clipped-- more than I wanted it to be. My mother’s eyes changed from rigid and lifeless to gentle, like she actually cared. I know it’s all an act.

“You can’t leave, what would me and Naomi do without you?” I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, how many times had I heard this before? How many times had I fell for it? Not this time.

“I’m taking Naomi.” Her eyes narrowed. “You can’t do that, I’m her mother.”

I pulled out a folder, “In here gives me the right to take her, since I am now her legal guardian.” Her eyes were wide and full of rage.

“I never gave my constant! Plus, you’re only seventeen.” She almost screamed at me. Hm, ten in the morning and almost wasted. New Record. I rolled my eyes at the woman that made my life hell for years. Fuck, she didn’t even remember my birthday.

“You signed the form on tuesday, or don’t you remember? And really? I turned eighteen two months ago.” She glared at me with her cold dead brown eyes. I honestly couldn’t have cared less, I was sick of taking care of someone who didn’t give a shit about me.

“You’ll have nowhere to go.” her nasally voice sneered.

“April has an apartment in the city. She’s letting me and Naomi stay with her.” I said with a bit of satisfaction, knowing she couldn’t stand April. “All our bags our packed and I'm leaving. I don’t care what you have to say, you can’t stop it.”

The look on her face was of absolute rage. It wasn’t a look I’ve seen since dad walked out all those years ago. Her hand went back and she slapped my cheek hard.

“You ungrateful little...” She seethed. “You’re just like your father.” her voice was laced with venom. Anger coursed through my veins, I was nothing like that prick. How dare she even compare me?

I shook my head and turned around walking towards outside, pausing in the door frame. “Oh? And by the way mother?” I said the word loosely, very loosely. “I’m gay.”

A small smirk fitted my face as she screamed after me as I slammed the door. I walked next door to Mrs. Linda Critts house, she was watching Naomi while I told our mother. Linda was a nice 68 year old woman who we’ve lived next to since I was born. She’s been more like a mother to me these last few years than my own mother has.

She opened the door before I even knocked. “Didn’t go well did it.” It wasn’t a question.

I shook my head, sighing. She nodded and squeezed my my shoulder in sympathy. “I hear screaming. I was afraid she’d killed you.” I laughed loudly, “No, you’d know if she had. “

“AUGGIE!” I kneeled down beaming at a fluff of blonde hair that ran into my arms. I picked her up, spinning her around. “MIMI!” I mimicked, smiling-- I swear this little girl is the only reason I find the strength to get up in the morning.

I put her down, “Say to bye Mrs. Critts okay? We have to go now.” She looked at me before nodding giving the older woman a big hug.

I turn to Linda before giving her a hug myself. “Thank you so much... for everything.” She smiled warmly at me. “Don’t thank me honey, I’m only a phone call away if you need it.” I nodded, still smiling before Naomi and I walked out and got into my car.

“Auggie? Where are we going?” Naomi’s innocent voice called out from the back seat, i turned around to look at her. “Remember when I told you that we were going to find a new place to live?” She nodded.

“Well me and you are going to live with Aunt April for a while.” Her eyes widen in confusion. “Is Mommy coming with us?”

I shook my head. “It’s not good for us to live with mommy anymore.” The look in her eyes just about broke her heart. “Why?”

“It just isn’t, trust me sweetheart.” she nodded sadly and my heart clenched. I turned back to in front of me, took a deep breath and started the long drive into the city.
♠ ♠ ♠
New Story! C: I hope you like it,

Comment and Subscribe? :DD