Forget Me Not

I remembered her white dress and bare feet as we ran from the rain. Thunder cracked and lightning struck, we laughed taking cover in her car. The glass fogged, her hand grazed mine, my eyes found hers. Her warm breath on my cold skin, hearts racing as she whispered quietly. Words I would never tell anyone, a secret only few knew.

"I'm so sorry... I just can't do this."

I remember her smile as she sung along to the radio, her legs propped on the dash of my old chevy truck. There was something about that smile as we blow through stop signs with the windows rolled down. The sun fell from the sky, her one hand playing with the wind, while the other grasped mine. I looked at her and she looked at me, dear lord please let her love me.

"Hockey alway's comes first, you know that."

I remember her in the morning wearing my old t-shirt. Hair tied up, no make-up on, standing there with the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. Sliding down the hallway in her knit socks. I made coffee, while she made waffles an’t no place better then this. These are the days I wish I could hit pause. Repeat the moment till I have it memorized.

"It's my fault all this happened, you're better off without me."