Triplets

Louise

The difference between my mother and father is that my father has money because he worked well and my mother didn't have to because she was the one looking after me when I was a baby, which meant that she never had a job to save up money for the future. So when they divorced, my father was still comfortable with his money while my mother was granted a fair amount from the proceeding which allowed her to live in a house easily, but not so much that she needn't work.

So when I turned up at her house last month, she wasn't in because her job required her to work during the summer and as I hadn't phoned in advanced just in case she felt it was her responsibility to inform my father she had no need to wait in for me. At first I thought that her not being in was going to be a problem because I didn't have a key to her house as I rarely ever came to see her, but after a little while of searching I managed to find the kitchen door unlocked around the back and slipped in that way.

It's safe to say that the first thing she asked when she got home that evening was whether my father knew that I was there, and when she found out that he didn't, she pulled me into her arms and told me not to worry about it. Of course, she doesn't know everything that's gone on between my father and I, mostly because I haven't told her whenever I've had the chance to talk to her but also because my father doesn't think it's her right to know everything because of the fact she doesn't even have any form of custody over me, something that I haven't been too pleased about from the moment it was declared.

It's now July and I'm still not back with my father, although that is entirely down to the fact that I refused to go back to him and told him to go to hell when he called me last week. It probably didn't go down too well with him, and he was probably talking with law officials or whatever it is he does when he wants to complain about my mother, but I honestly could not care. I was happy being here than I have been living back with him for the last few years of my life. It was why I rebelled against him and his family with my attitude and behaviour to try and get him to let me live with my mother, but apparently sending me to a boarding school was a better option than letting me live with the parent I wanted.

Today my mother had to work so I was able to get up at midday and lounge about the sitting room in my pyjamas, something that I don't do when she's here. I skipped any form of meal when I got up and just grabbed a banana from the fruit bowl she keeps in the kitchen. Between worrying about what lengths my father might go to just to make me go back to his house and enjoying the rare time with my mother, I was happy as I could have ever been. I wanted to live this life permanently but I was only sixteen which meant that unless my father allowed this, I would either have to evade him for two years on the street and come live with my mother just before I turned eighteen or I would have to work out a way to get the courts to change their mind over who I live with.

My phone vibrated on the sofa next to me and with a sigh, I grabbed it and answered. "Hello."

"Don't you think you've had enough now, Louise?"

I sighed. "Can't you just let me happy for once?" I asked.

"I'm not the one who stops you from being happy," he rejected. He sounded tired, almost as if this was tiring him out, something which I did not believe because nothing was happening to him – he was stopping me from being happy and my way of being happy would make him happy as I would no longer be living in his house. And no matter what anyone said, I knew that he would be happy if I didn't exist.

Lying down, I rested my feet on the arm of the sofa and threw my free arm over my eyes. "Please don't do this," I begged.

There was a moment of silence down the phone, neither he nor I made any noise. I couldn't even hear his breathing which meant that he wasn't breathing heavily so therefore he wasn't pissed off at me for this conversation. I wanted him to accept what I asked and allow me to stay with my mother – of course, if he wanted me to continue going to the boarding school, I would do that, as well as visiting him during one holiday. I was willing to make any compromise with him in order to stay happy.

"We are not having this conversation again," he said, breaking the silence that had somehow raised my hopes slightly. "I have half a mind to report you missing and the first place they'll look is your mother's house. Do you really want me to go down that route?"

"You may be my father but I won't let you take away my happiness," I hissed at him, so angry with him now that I decided to not hold back. "I hate you." With that, I hung up the phone and chucked it to the other end of the sofa before grabbing one of the cushions, holding it to my face and screaming into it.

I was not going to let myself be forced into an unhappy life with him, but if I ended up having to endure that life, I was going to make his life hell, more so than I had done before. He hadn't seen the side of me that was ready to rear its head in order to get my own way – he may get his own way this time, but I think he forgets that everything I do reflects back on him and his family and this time I would be prepared to push the boundaries even further and get in trouble with the law. Anything so that I didn't have to live with him.