Lullabies

One of Two

Harry and I never planned on being parents at seventeen and eighteen, but then again, the kids who do are fuckin’ insane. Noah Lincoln Styles was a pure accident. The result of one too many consumed alcoholic beverages and condomless drunken sex. By all technicalities, I am a single mother. I’m not saying Harry is a dead beat dad, no. He’s the most amazing dad to our 3 month old son, but he’s gone all the time. I work, feed my family, live on my own, I am a single mom. Right now, Noah is taking a nap. I’m doing laundry because I have baby clothes coming out the wazoo and we’re flying to America to accompany One Direction on their US tour in less than 48 hours and I still have to pack. The good news is, Harry is in London and coming over so I can pack and he can watch Noah. I shouldn’t say watch, as he is Noahs father, but that’s what he’s ultimately doing. Noah is about 99% Mini Hazza, and I’m not even joking. According to Anne, the way he eats, the way he sleeps, the early vocalization, the eyes, the dimples, the curls in his hair – that’s all Harry. He has my nose, my long fingers, and my ears. That child is literally a mini Harry.

I was folding laundry when my phone vibrated in my pocket, it didn’t take me long before I realized it was Harry updating his twitter.

@Harry_Styles: Off to Holmes Chapel to see my family before tour. America, I’m coming for you in less 30 hours

I smiled and finished putting the folded clothes into the basket and walking into the dining room where I had our bags on the table. I had Noah’s packed in 10 minutes. Walking out of the dinning room, the door bell rang. I smiled, know it was Harry, so I set the basket down and opened it. As soon as he was inside and the door was shut, I was in a hug. Soon, Noah broke our moment when his cry came through the baby monitor.

“I’ll get him. It’s time for him to eat, right?” Harry said. I nodded, walking into the kitchen to make a bottle for him. I sat the baby monitor on the cabinet and started making the bottle.

“Hey baby.” I heard Harry’s voice. Noah’s crying got louder. “Shh. Don’t cry. Daddy’s got you. You’re fine.” I smiled as Noah’s crying softened to a whimper and when Harry came in to get the bottle he was bouncing Noah lightly, him still half-wrapped in his blanket. I handed Harry the bottle and he walked back to the living room. I decided to take a break from packing to catch up with Harry.

“How are you?” he asked.

“I’m good. I’ve started working at the bakery again. I work Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and your mom watches him for me.” I said. After a few minutes of small talk, Noah let out a whimper, telling Harry to adjust the bottle. I smiled at him and Harry gave me a look and I sighed. I knew this was coming, especially since we were going on tour with them.

“I don’t want to thrust him into the spotlight. But, it won’t be avoided if I don’t tweet something like a picture” he said. I nodded. He handed me his phone, and I took a picture. It turned out really well as he didn’t know when I was taking it so he’d looked down to see if Noah had fallen back asleep. Noting he hadn’t and was staring at Harry contently, Harry took the now empty bottle back into the kitchen. It was still late morning, so I hadn’t really dressed Noah yet. Harry stopped and got a green and white striped one-piece and a diaper so he could change the baby. Noah wasn’t too thrilled about it, but we got him dressed in one piece. Harry then took the baby carrier and put him in it and went to take a picture in the bathroom with him. My phone vibrated twice.

@Harry_Styles: Feeding @EmyStyles and I’s Mr. Chubby Cheeks!
@Harry_Styles: Do you guys like my new look.
@Harry_Styles: I bring a new meaning to “Daddy by day, Rockstar by night”


I snorted at the last one. It was pure Harry and nothing else. He came back out with a diaper bag and my sweatshirt.

“Put it on love!” he said. “We’re going shopping!” I laughed but grabbed the stroller and hooked the carseat to it. We were only walking out of the first shop when Harry carefully put Noah in the stroller, much to the infants dismay. He let out a wail as soon as Harry had snapped him in. I chuckled, reaching into my purse and pulling out a pacifier and sticking it his mouth, calming him down immediately. While we were in Hollister, for some damn reason I don’t know, Harry’s phone rang. I was moving the stroller back and forth to get Noah back to sleep.

“You wanna go on an adventure?” Harry came up behind me.

“Like?” I said.

“I have to go back to London. I don’t know how we’re going to do this, because you can’t watch him and pack at the same time.” He said.

“I can have your mom watch him” I said.

“Do you trust me?” he said. “Alone, with him, I mean?” I nodded, as we exited the store. He took my hand in his and we walked back to my house. He unsnapped the carseat from the stroller and I hooked the extra base in his car. I packed an overnight bag for Noah with lots of diapers and a few extra pacifiers. I gave Harry his formula brand and told him how to make the bottles. I then laid a blanket over the baby and Harry picked up the car seat before going out the SUV. I put his stroller in floor board and hugged Harry. He didn’t even think twice about the paparazzi before he pressed his lips to mine. The familiar feelings I got when we were living together all came rushing back. I broke us apart, reminding him he had to get back to London because he had to be lectured by Simon…

The Next Day

I loaded up the car with me and Noah’s bags before deciding to go the grocery to get something for breakfast. The headlines of the gossip magazines made me laugh, but there was one that stood out. I laid it on the checkout along with my coffee and doughnuts for me and the boys.

Harry Styles: “He’s being kept from me by his mother and management”. Details about the nasty custody battle for little Noah inside.

I paid, going out to the car and picking up my phone. There were rude tweets saying I was a “bad mother” and that Harry really wasn’t Noah’s father. To make it better, I saw the guys sticking up for me though.

@Louis_Tomlinson: Up early! Feeding Noah while Daddy Styles takes a shower. For the record @EmyStyles isn’t keeping Harry from him either.
@Real_Liam_Payne: This is ridiculous. @EmyStyles is the best mother ever! What that magazine said isn’t true!
@NiallOfficial: haha @EmyStyles didn’t tell us Noah doesn’t like to sleep at night! Such a spoiled baby boy. Gotta love him!
@zaynmalik: Really? Management isn’t keeping Harry from his son and neither is @EmyStyles. We’re busy, loves.
@Harry_Styles: Pretty sure I didn’t say that about my girlfriend and son. Grow up people. There is no custody battle going on.
@EmyStyles: @Harry_Styles @Real_Liam_Payne @Louis_Tomlinson @NiallOfficial @ZaynMalik. Love ya Lads!
@EmyStyles: My son is the best thing that has happened to me and Harry. Here’s proof:
@EmyStyles: @NiallOfficial. Sorry :/ he usually sleeps through the night!
.

My phone rang as I was driving to Harry’s place. I noticed it was Anne, so I answered because it was Saturday.

“Hellooo” I said. “I suppose you saw the shit going down in the fandom this morning”

“Yes. It’s quite stupid. I think Harry was the most excited when you went into labor, Emily. Why would he be fighting for custody? You’re still together.” She said.

“I don’t know. It’s stupid. Even if we weren’t, I don’t think I could keep Harry from Noah. It’s not right for him.” I said.

“So did you see what Management just tweeted?” she said. “Wait, you’re probably driving to Harry’s place.”

“Yeah, I’m driving” I said.

“Well it says “We are in no way keeping Harry Styles from his son. Harry came to us about it last night, and we cannot be happier to welcome him”.” She said. “ By the way, I think it’s quite cute that Harry took him last night. You needed a night off”

“Yeah. But I missed my little man though. He wasn’t on his best behavior last night for Haz” I said. “Apparently didn’t sleep much.”

“I know. Harry called me at 3am on the verge of tears, Noah screaming in the background and you could hear Lou trying to get him calmed down.” She said. “He was hungry, but Harry had just fed him. I told Harry to have one of the other guys to the 24 hour market and pick up baby cereal and to fix him a bottle with that mixed with the formula.”

“I was going to start him on cereal as soon as we got to America, actually.” I said. “Sometimes I wonder if that baby isn’t actually Nialls and somehow ended up looking like Harry, the way he eats.” We both got a good laugh out of it. And eventually I had to hang up because I was pulling up to Harry’s place. Niall opened the door for me and I just chuckled, pushing him aside.

“I LOVE YOU TOO EMILY!” he yelled.

“YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU. JUST NOT AS MUCH AS I LOVE HARRY” I said, turning into Harry’s room where he’d just laid Noah down in the playard to take a nap. Harry wrapped his arms around me and smiled.

“You smell good.” He said.

“Uh, thanks?” I said. “I took a shower this morning.” It just ended in a bunch of chuckles from the guys.

“You guys are never on my side, are you.” I said. Louis came and put his arms around me.

“Sorry love. I love you.” He said. “Let’s run away!!”

“Sorry Louis, I already promised Niall I’d run away with him!” I said.

“NIALL! YOU STOLE MY WOMAN!” Louis gasped, making me smile as Harry smirked.

“I hate to break it to you, but I’ve gotten more action from her than both of you combined.” He said. I just shook my head in laughter. It was going to be crazy the next few months.