‹ Prequel: Beautiful Remains
Status: And let the ending begin

To Be Strong

Dean

When you've experienced so much in such a short amount of time, you come to realize how much you value everything that has become your own. In just a short ten years, I've met, married, and became so much closer to the man I loved with every fiber of my being.

I watched as Chase help Krystal with her singing -- she had taken up choir, and had enlisted the help of Chase to get her to reach some higher notes. He looked persistent, so much so that I knew if I even cleared my throat, he'd give me the death glare.

Looking out back through the kitchen window, I saw Jasper and Kassie playing basketball -- both were on the basketball teams at their school, male and female respectively. Both of them were teaching each other techniques, helping the other out as much as they could. I smiled.

I glanced over at the front door when the knob turned, quietly moving to it to warn the guest to remain silent. Meeting the gaze of Angel and Greg, I smiled and placed a finger to my lips. Angel motioned for me to come out, and I stepped out, silently closing the door behind me. "Hey, boys," I said, wrapping them both in a bear hug.

"God, Dad," Greg said, a smile etched on his face. "You're getting grey. The triplets getting to ya?" he asked, smacking my arm and causing me to laugh.

"Nah, man. I'm just getting old! Your mother is what's getting me there too quickly," I replied, winking at him. Both he and Angel cackled, which caused them to cover their mouths and listen. Krystal was still singing, and we all breathed a sigh of relief. "Come on. Jasper and Kas are out back practicing. I'd say our best bet is to join them."

"Don't they get a little antsy when we do?" Angel asked, hooking his arms in mine and Greg's. I thought for a minute before nodding. "How about Greg and I join them, and you watch from the sidelines? More fair if it's two on two instead of three on two."

"Good point," I replied once we made it to the back. Both Kas and Jasper looked up, a smile appearing on their faces.

"Greggy!" Kassie squealed, dropping the ball and running over to Greg, her arms clamping around his neck.

"Hey, baby sister," he said lovingly, unhooking his arm from Angel and wrapping his arms around Kassie. "How have you been?"

"Stressed," she said once they broke apart. "With the games and the homework. Not to mention the evil nature that comes once a month."

"Whoa! Stopping you there!" Greg said, covering his ears and closing his eyes, causing Kassie to laugh. Dropping his hands, Greg asked, "How about some two on two? Angel and I versus you and J-Man over there."

"Bring it on, loser!" Jasper said, grabbing the ball and throwing it at Greg, who caught it with one hand and started tossing it between his hands.

"Dean!" I heard Chase call from the front.

"Krystal must be done for the day," I said to no one in particular. "Out back, Chase!" I called back, almost immediately seeing his and Krystal's face come around the corner. "Angel and Greg are here."

"Boys!" Chase said, storming to the back yard with anger in his eyes. I saw Greg and Angel run up beside me in my peripheral. "You know better not to come to me when you get here."

"You were with Krystal. We didn't want to interrupt," Angel said innocently, batting his eyes. Chase stared at him for a long moment before finally succumbing to the gaze Angel cast upon him.

"Come here you two," he said, opening his arms. The twins both enveloped Chase in a hug, pressing kisses to his temple. "You two are going to be the death of me." They laughed before breaking away and quickly joining Jasper and Kassie again, and I walked over to Chase.

"Has she hitting anything new?" I asked, wrapping my arms around his waist. He looked up at me as his hands rested gently on my chest.

"Not yet, but she's getting very close to hitting high F," he replied, giving me a pouting look. I smiled warmly before bending down a bit and pressing my lips against his. If he didn't break the kiss, I think I would've taken him right there. "Don't need you to scar these kids too much," he said, winking at me before breaking free of me. "Come on, guys. Three on three!" Chase said, pulling me into the fray.

"What am I supposed to do then?" Krystal asked, looking at all of us with a look of disappointment.

"Shop with us!" Anna said, walking up from the front with Aurianna at her side. "Hey, everyone!" she went on, waving at us all.

"Hey there, baby," Greg said, jogging over to the other set of twins. Angel soon followed, wrapping his arms around both the girls.

"So what do you said, Daddy?" Krystal asked, walking over to me and wrapping her arms around my waist. "Can I go shopping with Anna and Aurianna?" I stared down at her for a long moment, then switched my gaze to Chase.

"What say you, love?" I asked, making sure it was cool with him before agreeing to let her go.

"She doesn't get out of the house enough," Chase said, smiling at her. "Go on. Have fun."

"Thanks, mommy!" she said, wrapping her arms around Chase. Pulling out my wallet, I handed her a few hundreds.

"Don't waste it all, please?" I said as she shoved them into her pocket.

"You end up getting 2/3 of it back, Daddy," she said, causing me to chuckle a bit.

"That happened twice out of about five times," I said, causing her to give me an I'm-innocent look.

"BUY ME SOMETHING PRETTY!" Greg yelled at Krystal, pointing at her with a look of psychotic rage. Chase and I just smiled a bit, waving by to the girls. Once they were off, we all went back to the game. Everyone was happy, and for once, it was nice to just hang out with my family. Or at least, most of my family.