‹ Prequel: Beautiful Remains
Status: And let the ending begin

To Be Strong

Dean

The two weeks flew past, and before I knew it, we were all at the airport. Currently sitting around in a group, all of us were just enjoying each other's company one last time. Sure, there was a chance of getting back together in the future, but at the moment, we knew it'd be a very long time.

Geoff grabbed his guitar, causing everyone to tear up. It was always a comforting time when there was someone singing, or just playing the guitar. When Geoff started playing, Will and I looked at each other. It was the song the three of us heard together the first time we split up, before I met Chase and before this family began.

Smiling, the three of us started to sing. "These streets turn me inside out. Everything shines, but leaves me empty still. And I'll, burn this lonely house down if you run with me, if you run with me." I grabbed Chase's hand and pressed a kiss to the top of it, looking at him with a look of sadness mixed with happiness. It mirrored in his eyes.

"I'll stay with you, the walls will fall before we do. Take my hand now, we'll run forever. I can feel the storm inside you, I'll stay with you." The song went on, and we never stopped singing. Others in the airport joined in, strangers who were leaving behind their own loved ones.

After a while, the song came to an end, and the crowd that had joined us clapped, most of whom were in tears. Once everyone had dispersed, I took one long look at everyone. We've all come a long way in our journey. "Hopefully, we'll be able to do this again," Chase said, curling close to me. "It was nice to have restlessness around the house again for once."

As everyone agreed, and started chattering away over the last two weeks, I fell silent. I was rather content just listening to everyone talking than actually joining in. I don't know if it's because I was a teacher for so long, or because I just loved seeing those close to me happy around one another. Either way, I enjoyed the laughter, for however long it was going to last.

"You need to talk more, Dean," Geoff said, throwing an empty water bottle at me. "You're part of this family, too. Whether you like or not."

"I know, I know," I said, laughing softly. "I was just enjoying hearing you all chatter away after so long, I guess I was just relishing the moment."

"Well, be part of the moment," Will said, walking up behind me and kissing my cheek. "Don't be on the sidelines"

"Keep your mouth away from my husband!" Chase said, standing up and immediately going after Will. "YOU ARE SO LUCKY YOU'RE GOING BACK TO SPAIN!" Chase yelled, trying so hard to catch up to Will. I laughed when he finally managed to tackle Will to the ground, both of whom were cackling.

"I miss this kind of thing," I said, causing everyone to look at me. "The fact we could all be rough with each other and no one getting offensive. Nowadays, it's too silent. Too ... lonely." I sighed as I felt a couple of hands on my shoulders. "I know I have Chase and the triplets, but how long is that going to last? The kids will get older, and move. I don't even want to think what could happen to me or Chase after that."

"Then don't think about it," Geoff said, causing me to look at him. "You've got so much time ahead to spend you're time together. Don't think into the future, just keep your mind here." Giving Geoff a high-five, I felt a smile appear when Chase and Will got back to us.

"I didn't think little Chase had the ability to get me," Will said, causing everyone to laugh.

"You'd be surprised at the shit he can do. Never ceases to amaze me," I said, looking at Chase and winking, causing him to grin. Flights were called, Geoff and Shaun's being one of them. Hugs were passed around, and when it came for me to hug Geoff, I held on for dear life. "Of all the people I've come to know, you've been there longer than most.. Thank you so much for keeping me alive," I whispered, fresh tears threatening.

"You would have done the same for me and then some," he replied, giving me one last pat on the back before we broke apart. The rest of us watched as he and Shaun made their way to the terminal, doing what they had to do. Looking back at us, they waved, and for the first time in a long time, I felt like a part of me was leaving, never to return.

"We'll see them again, Dean," Chase said, wrapping his arms around my waist. "When that happens, it will be as if nothing has changed."

I pulled Chase as close to me as possible, pressing a kiss to his forehead. Hearing my phone go off, I used my free hand to get it out of my pocket. Seeing there was a text from Geoff, I opened it quickly and read it, a smile appearing. "What are you smiling about?" Will said, causing me to look around and notice that Geoff and Shaun were out of sight.

Taking a deep breath, I read what Geoff sent to me. "If you're lost and alone, or you're sinking like a stone, carry on. May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground, carry on." We all made our way to the window, watching a large group of people boarding the plane. I immediately saw the familiar black hair and the only cowboy hat among them. I let a sad smile appear.

Softly, in the back of my head, I could hear Geoff and Shaun singing, "Because we are, we are shining stars. We are invincible, we are who we are. On our darkest day, when we're miles away, so we will come, we will find our way home."
♠ ♠ ♠
First song was: Stay With You by Goo Goo Dolls
Second was: Carry On by Fun.