Something to Remember

Chapter 15

JOHN:

Sarah was everywhere. The internet was buzzing with Through the Dark’s tour announcement and their big arrival in Arizona, so it was pretty much impossible to do anything on my computer without seeing her. Eventually, I gave in and typed her name into my search box.

I clicked onto one of the many links from Google and discovered that she already had a cult following. There were more blogs dedicated to her than I could count. It was crazy.

All of the sites said the same thing, though; basically that she was incredibly talented, beautiful, down to earth, and the nicest person you would ever meet. Well, no shit. I already knew that.

It wasn’t until I started scrolling through the pictures that my attention was grabbed. I had obviously realized that she had a band, but what I hadn’t known was how close they already were. There were so many pictures of them, most recently of them in the airport yesterday, and in each and every one they were either laughing or trying not to. It kind of made me sick.

I clicked on a link with yesterday’s date.

The first picture showed Through the Dark getting off their plane. One guy with short, spiked hair and dog tags was carrying Sarah’s bags for her while she had her arms looped around two other band mates, who were walking on either side of her. The last one followed just behind her, seemingly whispering in her ear and making her laugh.

After I took in the situation, I focused on Sarah. She was wearing high-waisted denim shorts and a loose, cropped tank top. The way her laughter contorted her face made her even more beautiful than usual. Her converse and big sunglasses reminded me of the times we would walk around town, just enjoying being together. I shook my head and scrolled down to the next picture.

This one showed Through the Dark approaching fans. Sarah was surrounded by the guys in the band and it was obviously a method of protection. The jealousy in the pit of my stomach took me by surprise. I should’ve been there to keep her safe.

I knew that it wasn’t going to be in my best interest, but I clicked to the next photo anyway.

The next picture showed all of Through the Dark’s members posing around a petite, young looking girl. Sarah’s face was being licked by one of the guys and, based on the expression on her face, it was obviously a surprise. As a whole, the ridiculous positions would have been pretty funny, if it were possible for me to find anything humorous in the situation.

There were about a billion more of them signing and taking pictures with fans while Sarah received piggy back rides, but I mostly skipped through them. I paused when I got to a video, though. It was entitled, “Through the Dark Haves Some Fun”. I clicked play just as Garrett walked into the room.

“Ah, stalking Sarah I see. Well don’t let me interrupt you, loverboy,” I glared at him before returning my attention to the screen. I could feel him come to stand behind the couch so he could watch too.

The video was shot poorly, but from what I could make out, the band was lining up beside each other. It wasn’t until I heard someone shout go that I realized they were planning on racing through the airport.

Sarah was perched on one of their shoulders with his neck between her legs, and when they took off, she latched onto his head. His hands automatically reached up to hold onto her thighs and she tightened her legs up against his skin. I clenched my fists.

There was plenty of shouting, but above it all, I could hear Sarah squealing and demanding for the guy whose name I learned was Jack to go faster. All of them were hysterically laughing.

While avoiding a woman talking on her cellphone, one of the guys slipped and fell, effectively ruining his chances of winning. Garrett found it hilarious.

“Dude! Did you just see that guy fall on his ass! Ha! That was awesome,” he continued to laugh but I ignored him.

Finally, Sarah and her little buddy made it to the car first and they began grinding up against each other and laughing. Jack picked her up again and they ran circles around the rest of the band before getting in the car to leave. As the video ended, it paused just when Sarah was climbing into the limo. She was looking over her shoulder, smiling and waving to fans. I just sat and stared at her for a while, even after it was over.

“Well, it looks like they’re pretty awesome guys, it should be a fun tour,” Garrett said while hopping over the back of the sofa to sit next to me.

I looked over at him in disbelief.

“Are you serious?”

He nodded slowly like I was stupid.

“I know you and Sarah have some shit to work out but you will. Besides, just because you two have problems with each other doesn’t mean the rest of us aren’t going to hang out with her. She’s seriously cool,” he shrugged while reaching for the remote.

I closed my eyes and lay back against the cushions. I knew for sure that I was not going to enjoy this tour. Having Sarah avoid me while chilling out with all my friends was not going to be fun in the slightest bit. My phone beeped and I checked the message.

Meeting with TTD in one hour. Be there.

I rubbed my temples and set my phone down. Tim always knew just how to brighten up my day.

*********************************

“John you better not act like an ass,” Jared warned me lightheartedly as we sat waiting for Sarah and her band. The Kirch’s living room didn’t have enough room to seat everyone so we had moved folding chairs onto their back porch. I didn’t respond, aside from shooting him the bird, and Jared chuckled.

“Just making sure. Glad to see you’re in a good mood.”

Kenny covered his laughter with a cough and I got up to get a beer from the kitchen. Just as I was making my way back outside, I heard Pat greeting people at the door.

Through the Dark had finally arrived and I could feel the beads of sweat on my forehead.

“You look great Sarah, seriously. The rock star life suits you,” I heard him say and Sarah giggled uncomfortably. She hated extra attention, I remembered that.

I quickly dashed out the screen door and into the closest chair before they would see me in the house.

“John, what the f-” Garrett was cut off as Pat arrived onto the deck with our new tour mates in tow.

“Hey guys, I’d like to formally introduce you to Through the Dark,” he announced.

Ken, Tim, and Jared shared knowing looks while Garrett covered his smirk with his hand.

“I’m sure you all know Sarah, but this is Jack, Ryan, Tyler, and Kyle,” he said while pointing down the line of lanky boys in old band t-shirts. Each had tattoos sticking out from undre their clothing. It was then that I noticed that Sarah herself had one on the inside of her wrist. I tried to make it out but couldn’t.

As the rest of my friends got up to introduce themselves to the guys and give Sarah a hug, I remained seated, nursing my beer. I knew I would look like a jerk, but it was better that than an awkward confrontation between Sarah and I, who had yet to even look at me, let alone recognize my presence. Once the introductions were done, I waved casually and told them my name, barely glancing at them.

Sarah’s band all looked at each other, silently communicating. I was suddenly suspicious that Sarah had told them about our history. She wouldn’t do that, would she? Was she that comfortable with them already?

Pat told them to find places to sit and Sarah lowered herself onto the glider. Ryan and Jack took seats on either side of her. While I watched as Jack put an arm around Sarah, I noticed that Ryan was holding her hand. She was looking over at Kyle, who nodded encouragingly in a chair across from them. Tyler sat in front of her and leaned back against her legs.

I knew then for certain that she had told them. She had given them every dirty detail and now they were playing hero.

Just then, Sarah's cell rang.

"I'm sorry, but I really need to take this," she said and Pat nodded easily.

Sarah got up to leave, saying hello to "Zac" in the process, and I saw Tyler and Kyle roll their eyes. Who was Zac? Once Sarah was gone though, the guys seemed to remember me.

As each took their turn to give me a wary look, I could feel my face getting hotter.

This was going to be a freaking great time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I think it's finally safe to say I'm out of my slump. I'm hoping that means that the story will start to pick up again, but we shall see...

Please keep following along if you're enjoying the story, it means the world to me :) Also, once again, thanks to the subscribers and readers!!! It's awesome to see more of you everyday!

P.S. you guys are pretty quiet... anyone have any input on the story???