Something to Remember

Chapter 7

JOHN:

“Tell me one more time, how exactly did you break your hand?” Jared asked from his seat beside me.

The ER was busy, so I had been stuck listening to his stupid inquiries about my self-inflicted injury for the past two hours. He was finding the whole situation very entertaining. Needless to say, I wasn’t.

My head was resting against the wall behind us and I slowly turned it so Jared would feel the full wrath of my glare. He was seriously annoying me.

“For Christ’s sakes, you idiot, I already told you. I was pissed off and I punched the wall. Now can you please make yourself useful and go find me some ice,” I said while ignoring the fact that he was obviously using his fist to hide a smirk. My hand was throbbing, I was tired, and I wanted to stop wasting time so I could go after Sarah.

“Alright, alright. Hell, John. You’re such a wuss,” he muttered through a chuckle as he heaved himself out of the chair. I just sighed and closed my eyes. Would this night ever be over?

“Mr. O’Callaghan, they’re ready to apply your cast now,” I opened my eyes to see the nurse from the front desk standing in front of me. I picked myself out of the seat and followed her down the white hallway. I could only pray this was going to be quick.

********************

“So, you wanna talk about what happened now?” Jared looked over at me while we were sitting at a red-light. I had avoided this conversation all night. Unfortunately, I knew I couldn’t put it off any longer.

“What’s to tell? She was hurt and angry and confused, all with perfect justification. She shared her feelings, she cried. I shared my feelings, I cried. Then just as things were turning around, I messed everything up, as usual, and she walked away,” I kept my eyes focused outside my window, yet I could literally feel Jared’s eyes burning holes into my skull.

“You’re going to get her back,” he spoke quietly, but with complete confidence. I wished I had so much faith.

“Maybe,” I tried to shrug my shoulders like it didn’t matter, but I knew he could see right through me. The light turned green and he turned his attention back to the road, but I could tell he was still thinking. A few moments later, he nodded his head as if to agree with something and glanced at me. I could practically smell the lecture coming.

“You're going to have to fight for Sarah, but if you do, you’re going to get her back. All my life I have never seen two people so completely right for each other. Although you’re strong minded, overprotective, and often conceited-”

I snorted and he shot me a look.

“Let me finish. Despite these flaws that drive the rest of us crazy, both your imperfections are what makes it work. You guys are each other’s perfect balance. Where Sarah sometimes lacks confidence, you build her up, and in return, she somehow manages to humble you. You accept each other. That’s all you need. She came back for a reason, John. She still cares, and I know you do too, so all that’s missing here is the action. DO something. Find Sarah and do something. I promise you, it will work out.”

When he saw my shocked face, he laughed.

“Did you read that in one of your romance novels?” I snickered at him.

“Ha, ha. That was hilarious, but no. That one came straight from the heart, dude… All kidding aside though, I’m serious. I’m not going to let you mope around for the next forever because you didn’t have the balls to tell the girl you're in love with how you feel.”

The word "love" set off warnings throughout my brain.

“No, no way. It’s been a year and a half. I loved her, but I don’t anymore. I hardly even know her anymore,” I denied while furiously shaking my head.

“C’mon man, you punched a wall and broke your hand because you hurt her feelings and she walked away. All this B.S. isn’t changing anything. You guys still love each other. Period. Ok, so you may have to catch-up on missed time. You’ll manage. I agree that things can change in a year and a half, but not complete people. She is still the same Sarah and you are still the same John.”

Jared parked the car behind the bus and Garrett waved to us from the window.

“You’re a real softy, ya know that?” I said while showing off my cast to Garrett through the glass.

“What can I say? I’m a lover not a hater.” Jared climbed out of the car and I chuckled. As much as I hated to admit it, his little pep talk had made me feel better.

I watched as Jared returned the keys to Gary and I reached into my pocket for my cell.

Screw my pride. I had lost any remaining sense of self-preservation a long time ago. Jared was right; all I needed to do was try hard enough. And if somehow that were to end up failing me, I would just have to live out the rest of my life writing depressing songs in my underwear, socks, and an old T-shirt. Until then though, I was going to do everything in my power to make things right again.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I was chilling by the pool today and decided to write another chapter... I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I know not a lot happened, but I really wanted to show the change in John and give Jared's character more dimension. There's a lot more action coming soon, I promise!

Thanks for reading, subscribing, and commenting! I think the story is getting better as it goes, hopefully you agree...