Status: This is my JulNoWriMo piece so updates will be sporadic at best.

The Zombie Reaper

Seven

Honored Father Silence stood at attention in the small office. The black morph suit he wore covered his entire being hiding his true identity from everyone just like all the other Honored Fathers who served in the Order of Saint George. Unlike the others, however, a red band was wrapped around his neck. The others simply believe it to be a mark of his rank. What they didn't know was how right they were. It was a mark of his rank... as a slave.

“Now tell me Silence, what do you think of your new companions?” the councilor asked as he took a seat.

Silence arched an unseen eyebrow. “My opinion sir?” he asked quietly. “I would have thought my opinions didn't matter. That is what you have always told me before.” The red strip tightened cutting off his air for a minute before it opened and allowed him to breath again. A cough greeted the cold silence as the councilor allowed him to regain his breath. “As you will,” he choked out. "There is little to know as of yet. Most of the men are good soldiers and will do what they are told. The only ones to truly watch out for are Marcio, Marcus, and Lynuel.”

The councilor leaned back and arched an eyebrow. “That is to be expected,” he said with a dismissive wave. “I need more information than that Silence. Do not make me regret allowing you to live.”

Silence resisted the urge to reach up and rub his neck as he continued standing in front of his owner, wondering how much more he should actually say.

“There is more isn't there.” It wasn't a question, it was a command that Silence would be a fool to ignore.

"What do you want me to say?" Silence demanded gritting his teeth. "You want my opinions but only as they correspond to your own and-"

The band tightened sharply this time bringing him to his knees. His body began to shake, hands clenching as darkness and spots danced around his vision. He should have known better than to mouth off as he had. And yet he always did. It was a weakness that he couldn't seem to let go of no matter how hard he tried. And he did try. It was simply that to be another another man's power and not his own made him furious. His master likely knew that and took a twisted bit of pride in it... and in the suffering it caused.

The councilor stood up and moved slowly around the table, silent as he looked down at the hooded man's twitching body. "There will be a day when I do not allow that band to relax," he reminded Silence. "And when that day comes, I will not let your death be easy. Nor will I allow it to be quick. Remember that the next time you think it permissible to speak to me in such a fashion," he warned. "Now, tell me what I wish to know Silence."

The band loosened and Silence coughed, falling forward onto the ground. His breath came in quiet hisses as he tried to remind himself how to breath again. He rolled over onto his back and rested his hand on his stomach. "Alright, alright," he managed still coughing. He closed his hidden eyes and forced his body to relax. The councilor waited watching him almost dispassionately.

"Now," the councilor said starting to pace the room. "Why don't you tell me what I want to know," the councilor ordered. "I want to know what I have to expect of this group, especially of those three whom shall, apparently, give us the most worry.”

Silence pushed himself up and leaned back against the wall, sighing and running his hand over his covered and shaved head. "Marcio was one of the Honored Fathers once. You know that better than anyone. After all, you were there when he was initiated and when he was found again," he pointed out. "I do not know if that means he is bitter or if he understands well the situation. He is a wild card. It could end anyway and we shall never understand.

The councilor shook his head and began to pace silently considering what he had just been told. "And Marcus?" he asked.

"The boy is impulsive, stupid, and headstrong. He's likely to get people killed if only for the fact that he does not care to listen to the orders that he has been given. He is the most dangerous of all of them if only for his foolishness. It would not be surprising if he does get everyone killed. But what are we supposed to do about it? After all it is not as if we can stop him or take him out. GrandFather Nicholas should not be pleased and I do not wish to cross that man.

"Nor do I," the councilor admitted continuing to pace the room. "And what of Lynuel himself?" he asked arching an eyebrow.

Silence flinched and looked away refusing to meet the councilor's eyes. "That is the most complicated of all," he admitted. "He doesn't know."

"He doesn't?" the councilor asked leaning forward and chuckling. "Even as old as he is and after all that has happened, you are certain he does not know?"

"Yes sir," Silence said shaking his head. "If he knew than he would have already figured out what I am. He's oblivious which leaves our secret safe."

The councilor shook his head. "Not our secret boy. Your secret. Remember that. You are expendable and that shall not change anytime soon Silence."

Silence shoved himself up, straightening the black robes that marked him as an ordained priest. “As you will my master,” he murmured with a bow. “Is there anything else which you desire to know or do I have your leave?”

“Go,” the councilor snapped with an imperious wave of his hand. “I shall summon you again in time.” Silence nodded and moved out of the room, refusing to stumble or touch his throat until he was in his room and able to rip off the suit that covered his whole body. He stood naked in the darkness of his room, rubbing his throat, his body shaking. He wasn't going to be able to handle this much longer. Soon, he was going to have to make a choice.

Either he was going to kill the councilor or he would die trying.