We Got Older But We're Still Young

I've been thinking too much

“Where are you going?” Leda asked appearing out of nowhere. I jumped backwards letting out a shrill scream before realising it who it was.
“Holy shit Leda, don’t scare me like that!” I exclaimed forcing her to laugh. It was odd seeing Leda awake and not drunk or high... I'm sure it wouldn't last. “I’m just about to go to work, you know so we can have electricity and hot water.” I said picking up my bag. Leda dropped her gaze to the floor. She knew that It frustrated me that she didn’t have a job and just sponged off of me.
“Which job?” She asked trying to lightened the mood.
“Tonight I’m a waitress.” I said lifting my hand in a wave as I walked out of the door. The cold air hit my skin instantly causing me to shiver. The restaurant was only a couple blocks from my house so I never bothered to catch the bus, but tonight it was way too cold to walk there comfortably.

---

I stood back in the restaurant kitchen tying up my apron. Even from in here I could hear the loud chattering of the people at their tables. The noise was deafening.
After moments of deep drawn breaths I picked up my notepad walking out to the dining area.

“Hi” I said plastering a wide forged smile on my face. “Are you ready to order?”
The couple in front of me looked up at me smiling. They looked like they were in their early 40’s. It made me happy to see a couple look so in love.
“Yes thank you dear.” The Lady said making me smile at her term of endearment. “We’ll both have the roast of the day. Oh and he’s in the bathroom” She said pointing to an empty seat. “But they’ll have the same.” She said smiling up at me as I wrote the orders on my notepad.
“Sure thing” I answered happily. It was unusual to have a customer act so kindly towards me. “If there is anything else you need, don’t hesitate to ask” I stated walking away.

I walked back into the kitchen placing the order or the wooden board as the onions in the room started stinging my eyes.
“Hey Freddi” a voice said from behind me. I spun around to see Mark standing near the door tying up his apron. Both Mark and I started here at the same time a few years ago. I loved working around him, he made working here a lot less painful.
“Mark!, Where have you been for the past week and a half” I asked moving forward to hug him.
“Ugh, you don’t want to hear the gritty details but I was really sick, it was so gross.” He said pulling a disgusted face making me chuckle.

I walked out into the dining area from the kitchen holding a tray that put me very off balanced. I walked past tables filled with obnoxious people with caution as I tried not to drop the food off of the tray. The loud voices in the room echoed through my head making the pounding hit harder.

I placed the plates down in front of the couple from before as they smiled. I moved around to put down the last plate until I saw who was sitting in the seat.

“You” I whispered under my breath as Jaime looked up at me.
“Is there a problem?” The man beside him asked sweetly. I shook my head placing the last plate down, turning away as fast as possible.

“What was that about?” Mark asked when he walked back into the kitchen with an empty tray.
“That guy” I said nodding my head towards him. “I cannot stand him.”
Mark looked over and surveyed his face.
“From the way he keeps staring over here, I’m going to assume that he can definitely stand you” He sung as he winked. “Unless he’s looking at me, in which case I’m going to give him my number” He uttered biting his lip.
I hit him in the arm as I focused my gaze up at him “Mark! Stay away from him, he’s nothing but trouble.”
He looked down at me putting on his puppy dog eyes.
“You always forbid me from hitting on the attractive ones” He whined making me roll my eyes. “He’s coming to the front counter! Oh god Freddi! I can’t take this pressure!” Mark squealed pushing me out of the kitchen to the counter. Jaime walked up with a smug look on his face.
“What a crazy coincidence seeing you here!” He said with a goofy grin growing across his face.
“Not really considering I work here.” I stated bluntly. “Is there something I can help you with?” I sighed.
“Well,” He started as his smile dropped. “You can help me by quitting with the snarky comments.” He said crossing his arms.
“Is that what you came over here for?” I said, the annoyance clear in my voice. He held my gaze for a few silent seconds before opening his mouth.
“No, my dad wants a bottle of water.” He muttered rubbing the back of his neck.
I handed him a bottle over the counter before crossing my arms. An uncomfortable smile crept onto his face.
“Um, thanks” He mumbled before turning back to his table. I turned around moving back into the kitchen to find Mark standing with his hands on his hips.
“That was a terrible attempt at flirting honey.” He indicated with a crooked smile.
“That was definitely not flirting” I stated rolling my eyes. “He makes me so mad.”
“Angry sex is always good sex.” Mark stated patting me on the shoulder making me laugh.
“Sometimes I wonder why I love you so much.” I said shaking my head.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaime sat down at the desk beside me without speaking a word. A small sigh of relief escaped when I realised I wasn’t going to be putting up with his obnoxious remarks throughout the lesson.

“Now class,” Mr Corker exclaimed standing before us waiting for the chatter to die down. I lifted my eyes from my desk up to examine his face.
“We’re going to be writing a poem on a person and their personality. We’re going to be practising using different techniques such as similes, metaphors, idioms, personification and so on.” He stated as he walked between the rows placing worksheets on our desks. “The person you will be writing about is the person who is sitting beside you. I do not care if you do not get a long, there is not going to be any switching.” He specified looking over at everyone making sure he was heard clear.

I internally groaned, looking up I expected to see Jaime giving me his sleazy grin, instead I saw Jaime staring down at his desk not showing any sign of emotion.
“Now on the paper that I have handed you,” Mr Corker started “I want you to write down any words that come to mind when speaking to this person. You’ll carry this paper everywhere with you and every time you think of another word to describe this person…you write it down. You can begin speaking to your partner now. This poem is due this time next week.”

I already knew all the words I would use, obnoxious, stupid, loud, annoying… I really could go on forever. I looked over at Jaime again and saw that he was staring off out of the window.

---

“What’s up with you?” I said slightly uninterested as the end of the lesson neared and Jaime continued to stay silent. He looked over at me raising an eyebrow in confusion.
“What do you mean?” he mumbled
“No sleazy remarks? No cunning jokes? You know the usual asshole behaviour?” I said with a hint of mockery in my voice. Jaime frowned looking away from me.
“I’m not an asshole.” He mumbled saddened. I sighed realising I’d probably gone too far.
“I’m sorry.” I said sincerely “What’s wrong?”
“Family stuff.” He uttered as the bell rang. Family stuff? His parents were the ones at the restaurant. They were practically perfect… how could he have issues with them?
Jaime picked up his books and pushed in his chair. Before he left I got a good look at the piece of paper in his hands. Three words were written on the page.
Impolite, Judgemental , Beautiful.
I sat staring blankly at him as he walked out of the room. Was I really that rude to him? I didn’t think it would hit a nerve in him, he was just a guy who made stupid remarks…

...He thinks I’m beautiful?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much to the people who have already subscribed! I have big plans for this story!

I didnt get any feedback on the last chapter. Opinions? comments? :)

Thank you <3