We Got Older But We're Still Young

And sugar is like cocaine

My face scrunched up in disgust. “Could you guys stop?” I asked annoyed as Sara and her boyfriend Chris pulled apart from each other lips to face me with confused looks on their faces.

“As much as it’s great having a conversation with myself while you two suck face, we’re in a public place and people are staring.” I said with sarcasm seeping through my words. The couple giggled as the moved together for a small kiss before returning to their untouched food.

“What lesson do you have next?” Sara asked with a mouth full of food.
“English.” I mumbled as my face dropped.
I used to love English, It was my favourite subject until this year. That might have something to do with the company rather than the actual subject.

“Well Chris and I are going to go shopping after school, wanna join?” She asked excitedly.
No offence to Sara, I love her with all my heart… I just didn’t want to have submit myself to 3 hours of being an awkward third wheel.
“I would, but I promised Delilah that I would visit her.” I spoke. Sara nodded her head disappointedly as she turned back to her food.

---

I knew whatever was bugging Jaime the other day didn’t seem to matter anymore as he was back to his usual annoying self.

“So Freddi, doing anything this weekend?” He said with a smirk in his voice. I turned from my work to face him.
“I’m not seeing you if that’s what you’re asking.” I retorted harshly getting a chuckle from Jaime.
“You’re ruthless, you know that?” he stated. “I like it.”
I rolled my eyes at him. He really was so full of shit.

“How’s your poem on the greatest human being ever going?” Jaime said changing the subject.
“Pretty much non-existent.” I admitted. “I can’t think of what to write.” A sly look started in Jaime’s expression.
“I’ll write it for you.”
“I don’t think that’s a good idea. I don’t want to stand in front of the class reading out your narcissistic words.” I replied.
“Are you calling me a narcissist?” Jaime said placing his hand over his heart pretending to be offended.
“Maybe I should use that in my poem.”
“Maybe I should use pretentious in my poem.” Jaime said mocking my voice.
“Wow, that’s a big word. Aren’t you clever?” I said with a patronising tone.
A smile grew on Jaime’s face “The words I use aren’t the only thing that’s big.”
I rolled my green eyes at him “What is? Your ego?”

We continued for the rest of the lesson making stupidly rude comments to each other as we attempted our poems. I could feel Jaime’s eyes burning into me while I stared blankly at my page the whole time.

“I’ll see you on Monday Freddi.” Jaime said as he walked out the classroom door, lifting his hand in a wave.
Did Jaime seriously just say goodbye to me without hitting on me or making some stupid comment?
I watched him carefully as he walked down the hallway, I shook my head once I realised I was starting to smile. What was I doing?

---

I stared down at my phone as I read the text message I just received.

From Leda:
I’m going out.
I won’t be home until late, don’t wait up.

I sighed annoyed, putting it back into my pocket, I guess that’s dinner for one then.

I stared blankly in front of me as I sat on the chair beside Troy’s bed. I shook myself out of my trance as Troy shuffled in his sleep. Smiling to myself a got up turning off his light and going back to the front desk.

The beeping in the rooms were echoing in the corridors giving me an uneasy feeling.

“Hey Fred, you’ll never guess who has a visitor.” The nurse said to me excitedly. My face lit up as soon as I realised who she was talking about.

“Someone’s here for Delilah!?” I said peering into the door. As soon as I looked I noticed a boy in a beanie sat cross-legged in a chair reading her favourite book to her. “Oh my god! Who is it?” I asked the nurse.

She shrugged her shoulders. “But he’s kinda cute” She said smirking. “You should go talk to him”
I laughed to myself as I walked towards the door, opening it quietly.

I stepped in soundless to find that Delilah had fallen asleep and the boy was now on his phone.
I stood awkwardly not knowing how to announce myself. The boy chuckled to himself as he read something on his phone. I knew that chuckle…

“You!” I yelled in a whisper, trying not to wake Delilah. The boy turned to face me, a grin grew on his face as soon as he saw me.
“Hey” Jaime said awkwardly.
“YOU are the person Delilah was talking about coming to visit?” I asked as my jaw slightly dropped.
He nodded his head.
“So that means you must be the lady that Delilah never shuts up about.”
I internally smiled thinking about Delilah talking about me.

“How do you even know her?” I asked curiously.
Jaime turned away from me to face the sleeping girl.
“…She’s my sister.” He said quietly.

His sister? He had a sister? I could have sworn it was just him and his perfect parents.

“Wait.” I whispered, thinking aloud “If your parents were those perfect people at the restaurant that means they are Delilah’s parents as well…” I said trailing off.
“Don’t seem so perfect anymore, huh?” Jaime said trying to force himself to smile.

I sat on the chair across the side of Delilah’s bed so that I was facing Jaime. Confusion was printed on my face as I looked back at Jaime’s.
“Why don’t they visit her? Like ever?” I asked quietly.
Jaime awkwardly half laughed to himself.
“In their minds they don’t have a daughter. They accepted her fate and decided instead of being there for her they’d just get the detachment over and done with.” Jaime refused to give me eye contact. He sat staring at his hands while we spoke.
“You don’t feel the same way?” I asked leaning my elbows on Delilah’s bed.
Jaime shook his head repetitively. “How could anyone else think that way?” He said lifting his head letting his eyes meet mine. “I love my sister more than anything in this world. I could never leave her to be alone in this horrible place… and its not like my parents know I come here either. Right now they think I’m at the Library doing homework.”
I looked at Jaime smiling slightly as his expression eased up.
“That’s actually really noble Jaime.”

Delilah stirred in between us opening her eyes slightly.
“Freddi, you’re here.” She stated tiredly.
“Sure am sweetie.” I said brushing my hand over her hair.
“Did you meet Jaime?” She asked softly.
“Yeah, I did.” I said looking over at Jaime smiling slightly causing him to smile back.

Maybe I was wrong about some people. I was wrong about Jaime’s parents. I assumed they were at least decent people. But no decent person would leave anyone, especially someone like Delilah in a hospital to be alone… and I guess I was wrong about Jaime. Maybe I was looking at it all wrong, maybe I was the one who wasn’t being a decent person…..
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Mibba changed the layout again! ugh!
Opinions on Jaime's character?

Thankyou so much to all my readers and subscribers!!
Thank you to krisigetlow, abc500, dancingwithvaida and itsjustalex for your comments! I love you guys!