‹ Prequel: Fix Me

Ever After

Fall Down

“So we should be able to start renovations in the next two months or so…Well, it’s sooner than I would’ve ever expected…Yeah, together we should have enough money to pay for it all...What?...Yes, Mom, Josh is coming home today…Of course I’m excited, I always am…Mom! Look, I should go. I don’t want to be on the phone when he gets here—”

Kali felt arms wrap lightly around her slightly protruding midsection and she gasped into her phone.

“I don’t mind,” A voice she’d been missing for a little over a month spoke into her ear and kissed her jaw. Her heart did flips in her chest and she grinned so wide her cheeks hurt almost immediately.

“Yes, Mom, that was Josh you heard…Yeah, I’m going now. Love you.” Kali promptly hung up the phone and turned around to kiss her husband for as long as they could hold their breath. She beamed at him. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too, beautiful,” Josh said softly. “I missed our evil lab experiment, too.” His eyes travelled to her stomach and widened slightly. “Whoa.”

“It’s just a little bump,” Kali chuckled. “I am over a month into this now, after all.”

“Yeah, it’s just…wow,” Josh grinned. “This is real.”

“As real as you and I, baby.” Kali chuckled lightly and pecked his lips again.

“So, renovations in two months, huh?” Josh was playing with her hair while he spoke. Words couldn’t describe how good it felt to him to have her in his arms again.

“Yep,” Kali nodded, “it’s a huge relief. I didn’t think they’d be able to start so fast. I was expecting a year at the least.”

“Well, I mean, let’s be honest here. You’re pregnant, so of course they’d want to do this for you, and let’s not forget the fact that you’re totally smoking hot. All you had to do was ask.” Josh winked playfully at her.

“Oh, do you think that works with everyone?” Kali inquired with a small smile.

“Definitely,” Josh answered emphatically.

“So, if I just ask you to clean the floors and windows, you’ll do it?”

“Hm, ask me after my 24 hour nap.”

“I thought you said it’d work on everyone, Josh?”

“Yeah, but I’ve been bending to your will for years and years now, I’ve built up some tolerance to it.” He kissed her again and went back to the front door to grab his things.

Kali leaned against the island in the kitchen and watched him. The pets were ambushing him and he was laughing and petting them and hugging them instead of picking up his suitcase. She chuckled to herself and imagined how it would be in eight months time when there was a baby in the house. She swelled with pride and love for her husband at the thought.

“And you think you’re going to be allowed to nap?” She asked, stepping up to the wriggling horde of animals and Josh.

Josh looked up at her admiringly and stood to grab her and dip her low, amidst squeals from her. His eyes sparkled at her. “You tell me.” He kissed her warmly.

“Hm, I don’t think so,” She shook her head and laughed. “Besides, if you take a nap, who’ll run and get me a French Silk Pie Blizzard?” She batted her eyelashes at him.

“A what?” He gave her a strange look and set her upright again.

Kali laughed. “Ask your son or daughter when they make an appearance. They seem to love them.”

“Sure, if that’s your preferred excuse,” Josh laughed and started carrying his heavy suitcase to the room. When he walked in his eyes widened and he dropped his suitcase on the hardwood floor. “This place is spotless, Kali.”

“Yeah, well, that’s what stress, hormones and free time do to a girl,” Kali shrugged from the doorway. “When you don’t have your husband to distract you, many things can be accomplished.”

Josh turned around and raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”

“Oh, you heard me, Ramsay. You’re distracting, and don’t pretend you don’t know it.” Kali gave him a no-nonsense look. “In fact, I’m pretty sure you enjoy it.”

“Depends, what part of me is most distracting to you?” He walked slowly over to her and drew a curvy line from her collarbone to her hips, watching his finger as it travelled.

“Mm, every last part of you,” Kali smiled slowly and ran her fingers through his unruly black and blue hair. “Right down to your weird, twisted soul.”

“Well, you’re in for a tough, distracting life, Kali Ramsay.” Josh smirked and lightly twisted her wedding finger around on her finger. “Till death do us part, babe.”

“I won’t leave you even then,” Kali said sweetly. “I’ll always be with you, I promise.”

“Good, because honestly, I don’t know what I’d do without you,” Josh kissed her lips. “You’re the only one for me.”

“Mhm, and I’m also the only one who’ll do your gross tour laundry for you.” Kali looked at Josh’s suitcase and left to go get the laundry basket.

“Not because I ask you to,” Josh grabbed her from behind and tickled her.

“Ah! Josh, stop it!” Kali chuckled and squirmed under his fingers.

“Nope, never,”

“Josh, please!”

Suddenly Kali was overcome with a wave of weakness. Her entire body felt odd, like she wasn’t really attached to it. She was feeling incredibly tired and her legs felt like they were going to give out on her.

“Josh, stop, I’m gonna pass out…” she murmured.

“Oh, you’re faking it,” Josh rolled his eyes and grinned boyishly.

Kali put a hand on her stomach and looked up at him in alarm. Josh’s smile instantly faded.

“What’s wrong…?” he asked in a deadly quiet voice.

“I…don’t know…” Kali whispered back. Her vision was starting to get fuzzy around the edges. “I just need to sit down for a bit.”

Josh quickly directed her to the couch. “Should I take you to the hospital?” he asked in panic. “I think I should take you to the hospital.”

“Josh, please…I’m fine, I’m just…tired…” Kali held her head as it hit her again and she swayed a little.

“No, Kali, I don’t think you’re fine,” Josh shook his head emphatically. “C’mon, I’m taking you to the—Kali!”

He got to her side just in time to catch her before she fell to the floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
gah, short chapter. sorry, if i've been lacking a little lately guys. school's getting kind of intense. /: thanks for sticking by and giving me kind words of encouragement, though! you're seriously the greatest. xox.
rec/comment/subscribe