Status: purely an experiment. a compiling of some random snippets and of some short works, molded together to create one story.

Sheltering Midnight

"Sleep, and I'll be as another sleeper holding you in my arms, glad that you lie so near at last. This sheltering midnight is our meeting place. No passion or despair or hope divides me from your side.
I will remember the firelight on your sleeping face. I will remember shadows growing deeper, as the fire fell to ashes and the moments passed."

-Tired, by Ursula Vaughan Williams.

********

“I don’t understand you." It took all of her being to rip her hand from his. He stopped .

“I’m not asking you to. I’m not some character for you to analyze with your fine literary talents. So can you do me the exquisite favor of leaving me alone?”

An eerie calm echoed between the grass and air, the air and stars. “If I’m not mistaken, it was you that came to me.” She said meekly.

Silence came like waves and she sat in that silence, afraid to look into his eyes in the dark of the night. She could feel his gaze on her cheeks though, causing her body to stir wildly within. Each basked in the bliss of a plural solitude, minds thinking of nothing but the one who stood before them.

Feeling as if she might collapse forward, she hesitantly turned on her heel, but he caught her hand and pulled her to him . . .

Sophia knew then that there was no song quite as loud as Wesley’s silence, nor any melody as beguiling as those few curt breaths he took before he spoke:

“Please. Stay.”

“Just one minute?”

“One minute.”

And the moment passed.