Status: Completed

I've Abandoned Control

Chapter 24

I was not going to be the needy pregnant girlfriend, not over Jared. Although I thought he’d be able to come see me after Shannon made it back from his quick visit with Paige, he quickly assured me he couldn’t get away. His schedule was booked up until the day the tour ended and that was another 3 weeks. I couldn’t deny I missed him, I thought about him every second of every day, but I needed to get out of this house. I threw on a hoodie to disguise my growing belly and grabbed my keys from the end table and headed out of the house to go for a drive.

I drove up to the blacktop overlooking the city. It was mine and Jared’s favorite spot in LA. It was pretty during the day but it was absolutely gorgeous at night. Jared and I have spent many nights here, bundled up, on the hood of his truck.

Jumping out of the truck I made my way over to the edge of the bluff to take in the view. It made me think of Jared even more, this drive didn’t help me a bit. Suddenly a sharp pain had me doubling over grabbing my stomach. It only hurt for a few seconds but that was a few seconds too long. As the pain eased up, I thought it was just the stress I was putting on myself . Trying to relax I took in a few deep breaths and tried to enjoy this day.

I decided I would go do a little shopping to make the day pass. Retail therapy never hurt anyone. As I made my way into town, my phone rang. Seeing his name flash on the screen made everything seem alright in the world.

“Hello?” I answered trying to stay focused on the road. As long as I have been in LA I still couldn’t drive well in the city.

“How are my girls doing?” he asked. He sounded horse. Every time he went on tour he constantly stayed sick. His asthma always got the best of him. I wish I could take care of him, but that’s what Emma is for. Thank goodness for her.

“We’re good, just driving around, I had to get out of that dreadful house. It reminded me too much of you.” I heard him laughing. “Well babe it is my house.” After a few minutes, he explained he needed to get some rest. They had just gotten back to the hotel and he was exhausted. I had forgotten about the time difference, so I quickly let him go after we said our goodbyes.

After a couple of hours shopping, I decided to head home. I was getting tired and it was about time for a nap. Pulling up in the driveway I seen some lights on in the front room. I tried to remember if I left any on but I didn’t think I did. Stepping into the house, Charley greeted me like he always did. He didn’t seem alarmed about anything. Slowly making my way into the kitchen, I heard the voice I missed so terribly, “When were you and my son going to tell me I was going to be a grandmother?” There stood Constance as lovely as she always was, cooking some dinner for us.

“How did you….” I said as she cut me off mid-sentence as she threw her arms around me engrossing me in a hug. “Jana, you’ll soon find out, mothers know all. Plus when I put my stuff into the guest room, I seen it had been transformed into a nursery. And I knew it wasn’t my other son’s.” she said, placing a small kiss on my cheek. I missed her so much. She had been doing a small tour herself, except she had been taking photos for a children’s ballet company in New York.

I explained that Jared wanted to tell everyone when he got back from tour so he could be here. She was very understanding, I just hoped my parents take the news of the pregnancy as well as Constance did.

“Now let me get a good look at my grandchild!” she exclaimed as she raised my hoodie over my stomach. Placing her hand softly on my belly, I looked at her to see her eyes glistening. As she lifted her hand I felt a swift kick. That was the first time I felt her kick. The feeling took my breath away. I wished Jared was here to experience this with us.

Constance fixed our dinner and we sat and chatted for a good while. I was glad she was here, she actually cooked real food, I needed something other than vegan food. I mean I love Jared’s cooking but sometimes you just need something to fill that empty spot in your stomach. Suddenly Jared interrupted our conversation with a phone call. As I stood up to get the phone Constance beat me to the phone, not giving him time to speak, “Jared Joseph! What do you mean not telling me about Jana being pregnant?” They talked for a while and she handed me back the phone with an evil smirk on her face.

“Here he is.” she said making her way to clean up the dishes. Taking the phone from her hand, I made my way into the nursery to have some privacy. I thought he’d be mad for her coming here unannounced but he seemed okay with everything. I didn’t mind her company, I loved having her around. He told me about his schedule for the day and I told him about shopping and getting the baby some things. I heard Emma telling him he needed to hurry, that they had a radio interview to go to and they were already late. We stayed on the phone for a couple more minutes, he explained how much he missed me, and he’d be home soon. After disconnecting the call, I just sat back in the rocking chair in the nursery. I thought about everything we had been through together, how hard we’ve worked to make this relationship last, even though he didn’t want one in the beginning and what our future holds

Breaking me from my thoughts I heard Paige’s voice growing louder. I forgot she was coming over after work. I stood up to go introduce my best friend and Jared’s mom to one another. As I did so, I felt the same sharp pain as earlier in my stomach. I stood still for a moment thinking it would pass, as I took a few deep breaths, it seemed to ease up a little. As I slowly made my way out of the nursery, I felt the stab again, this time it sent me falling to the floor screaming in pain.