Status: Completed

I've Abandoned Control

Chapter 42

The wedding was amazing, everything went as planned. I hope someone took a picture of Jared when he seen Jana coming down the aisle, his face was priceless. She did look beautiful though, even at 8 months.

Soon after the bride and groom left the reception, the guests started filing out. It was a pretty big turnout for as short notice as it was.

“Hey can I steal you for a little while?” Shannon said, whispering in my ear, as I was cleaning up the mess on the patio.

As I turned around to face him, he planted a small kiss on my lips and led me to his truck. I had no idea where he was taking me and I didn’t care, just being with him was enough. Plus he made it hard for me to resist him as good as he looked in his tux.

He talked my ear off throughout the entire ride. I listened as I watched him drive with one hand and held my hand with the other. He talked about the wedding and his brother and how good Jana looked and how excited he was about being an uncle. I could hear excitement and enthusiasm in his voice, he sounded truly happy and in that moment I knew. Listening to his toast at the reception and listening to him now, I had no idea how I could deny my feelings for him. As much as we’d been through in such a short amount of time, I knew we were special together.

He finally stopped at a spot away from the main road overlooking the city. Making our way to the front of the truck, he stepped behind me and threw his arms around me while we watched the sunset. It had almost disappeared but we caught it right before it set beyond the city lights.

After sitting in each others arms for awhile, I turned around and faced Shannon. As I looked into his dark eyes, my stomach dropped into the pit of my stomach. How could he have this effect on me? I thought to myself as I studied the features on his face, as if I didn’t know them enough already.

“Paige, I brought you out here because this is the place I go to get away. No one has ever been here before, only Jay and I know about this place.” he said as he rubbed the small of my back.

I hardly could think about what he was saying, I needed to tell him, and it had to be now or I may never get it out.

“I’m glad you brought me here Shan, it’s really beautiful.” I said trying to gain control over my nerves.

“Shannon, I need to tell you something.” Shaking his head in protest, he opened his mouth to speak.

“I’ve been meaning to tell you Paige, I’m sorry about telling you I loved you, I know I shouldn’t have said it, THEN, but I don’t regret it, I do love you. I understand though if you don’t feel the same way about me.” he said. He didn’t sound enthusiastic like he did earlier on our way here, his voice was filled with sadness.

“I love you.” I said as I looked at him directly in his eyes.

“Don’t say it, because you think that’s what I want to hear. I want it to be for real, I want you to mean it.” he said as he fixed his gaze on the ground below us.

“I do Shannon, I love you. It took me a little while to realize it, but I do.” His expression went from sadness to joy. Picking me up, he spun me around while planting kisses all over my face.

After he carefully sat me down on my feet, he ran to the edge of the cliff and yelled at the topped of his lungs, “SHE LOVES ME!!!!”

I was slightly embarrassed, but it was true. I did love him. I felt a sense of relief after I said the words. We were all each other needed.

Running back to the truck, he picked up the phone to call someone, while I stepped out to the edge of the bluff to get a better look at the world below me, when he came back to me looking like a zombie.

“Shannon, are you okay?” I asked him, tilting his head up so I could look into his eyes.

“I went to call mom and she said, Jay just rushed Jana to the hospital and we needed to get there quick.” Feeling my entire body lose feeling, I held onto Shannon for support.

“We need to go to the hospital now, mom said it doesn’t look good.” he said as we carried one another back to the truck.

Unlike before the ride to the hospital was spent in complete silence. I prayed the entire way there that my best friend and her baby was okay.