The Rain Is Ours

texting

Burn placed himself in bed earlier than usual that night because his mind keeps swarming with thoughts of Tate. He knows he shouldn't think about her as much as he is, but it isn't exactly something he can help. Everything about her drives him absolutely insane in all the best of ways. Well, everything about her that he knows, anyway. This is why he laid himself down early, hoping maybe the thoughts would disappear. It isn't that he doesn't want the thoughts he has about Tate, it's that he feels guilty about the thoughts. Adam is dating Tate, and they are happy together. They have been together for a few months now, so that must mean something. Burn believes it does, which is why he is trying to rid himself of the thoughts of her. If he is lucky, maybe one day she'll be his, but he knows he can't come between her and Adam. That would make him a horrible friend, and he doesn't want that. He also doesn't want to complicate things for Tate. For now he will just have to deal with being her friend—only her friend.

At first Burn doesn't realize that the annoying buzzing noise he hears is coming from his phone. He figured it was just something his mind made up to make it impossible to sleep, but when he looks beside him to check the time, he sees his phone lit up and nearly ready to rock off the bedside table from the vibrations. Burn chuckles to himself before picking up his phone, opening the text message he received without looking to see who sent it. A distraction is a distraction, he tells himself, regardless of who the distraction is.

'Are you awake?' he reads, noticing the message was sent from Tate. Of course a smile finds its way to his lips, stretching them out wide at the sight of her name.

'Yeah, everything okay?' Burn sets his phone down after he pushes send, not even making sure it sends correctly before closing his eyes. Burn allows the happiness he feels from Tate texting him first to overtake his person, but he admits he can't help it. As he has said a million times before, there is just something special about Tate—something he would never be able to explain, and it's really pulling him in fast.

'Mhm, I'm just bored. Adam is sleeping and I enjoy talking to you.' Burn's grin widens upon reading the new message from Tate. Even with the mention of her boyfriend, Burn's happiness isn't faltering. It should, however, Burn knows that Tate loves Adam, he saw it with his own eyes. He knows that he shouldn't be excited over simple text messages, she admitted herself that the main reason she's talking to him is out of boredom because Adam is sleeping. Burn doesn't care though, what he cares about is the fact that she's talking to him. That makes him happy. He just wants to talk to her, and he doesn't care how, or under what circumstances. For now.

'It's only 9. That's lame. Well, I'll entertain you. ;)' Burn hopes he isn't taking things too far by adding the wink-y face. He can only hope that Tate takes it the way he hopes, or better. He doesn't want her freaking out, thinking him to be some form of a creeper. Although, when it comes to Tate, you can honestly call him a creeper. He isn't completely creepy, but he has caught himself staring at her far more times than he'd like to admit. Pray that no-one else noticed his staring. He's quite sure that Tate never did. Well, at least, she never mentioned it to him.

'Hehe, and how do you plan to entertain me?' Burn groans outwardly, wanting nothing more than to be able to see Tate at this moment. He wants to be able to see her gorgeous smile, and hear her adorable giggle. As much as he'd like to be with her right now, just to see her, he knows that wouldn't be a good idea. His thoughts revolving around holding her and kissing her at the moment. He knows that wouldn't end well if they were actually near one another. Burn knows that if they are going to be friends, like he hopes, then he needs to learn to control himself around her. At least while she's with Adam.

'If I tell you, I'd have to kill you.' And their conversation continues on until the early hours of the morning. Burn knows he won't regret staying up just to talk to her, and he knows he'll dream of her. Those dreams will be pleasant as long as Adam isn't involved, Burn just knows it. It hasn't even been a day and he's already head-over-heels for this girl. Yet, he wouldn't have it any other way.