Ripped Jeans & T-shirts

It Makes no Sense

“Is she telling the truth about your parents?” I asked Luke sounding worried.

“Don’t worry she is just yanking your chain.” He didn’t sound very sincere.

“So your parents will accept me?” I leaned back into the couch feeling a little more relaxed than I was a second ago.

“Now I never said that.” I sat back up giving him my worried face. Then he kissed me and I felt better, but I was still afraid of his parents.

The whole time while we were watching some movie I was trying to figure out ways to impress his parents. I know I have a few days to prepare, but knowing me if I didn’t start now I would never start and then I would look like an idiot in front of my boyfriend’s parents. Who wouldn’t like me the way I am though? Okay that was a stupid question because adults tend to hate me for some odd reason that I can never figure out. Neil says it’s because I am a smart ass and a little too honest, but what does he know?

I ended up falling asleep at Luke’s house. I know how cliché and lame is that, but to be honest when we realized it was midnight and I should have probably left I was too lazy to jump over the fence, so I stayed over. So romantic right? Anyways I wake up to Mackenzie coming down the stairs. She sees me and rolls her eyes. “You’re still here?” She said annoyed.

“Yeah I was too lazy to go home and since Luke is my boyfriend now this will be happening a lot more.” I finally got to through Luke’s and my relationship in her face.

“Trust me everything is going to change in a couple of days and I can’t wait to see the two of you fall apart especially since you have barely been together.” She sounded so devious and I hated it, but admired it at the same time.

“You know Mackenzie one day when I am gone you are going to miss me and wish I was still with your brother. Well you will at least miss me because let’s face it I am pretty awesome.” Mackenzie’s smile went away as she rolled her eyes. I noticed that Mackenzie rolls her eyes at me a lot.

“Can’t you two just get along for me?” Luke asked as he walked into the living room. He looked sexy with his messed up hair.

“If we got along then that would be no fun.” I said like a little kid.

“I can’t believe it, but I agree with the sarcastic bitch.” I narrowed my eyes at her and she stuck her tongue at me.

The rest of the day Luke and I decided to get to know the basics like what our favorites were and the stories of our past. It was nice to just hang and talk rather than go out and do stuff. I mean there were so many activities to do here unlike back home where most of the summer Jessica would be over at my house or vice versa and we would be sitting on the couch bored to death. Of course though this was different because I was Luke’s girlfriend! I loved the sound of that.

It was the day I was dreading. The day where I had to meet Luke’s parents and I was feeling extremely nervous that I almost went out to buy a dress just to impress them. No worries I decided to be myself with my ripped jeans and my t-shirts. If they didn’t like me maybe it would be fun to have a secret relationship, but then again in the movies it never turns out so well. I mean everything in the end turns out alright, but you have that extremely dramatic scene in the middle that I just wouldn’t want to have to deal with, mainly because it sounds like a lot of work.

We were sitting in the family room when we heard the door open. Luke and Mackenzie went running to their parents to greet them. I kind of stood back and leaned against the wall waiting for an introduction. “Mom this is my girlfriend, Kris,” she smiled at first and then Luke continued with, “She is Mr. Campbell’s daughter.” Then the smile on his mom’s face completely disappeared and she looked mad. It kind of scared me. And yes I use my mom’s last name rather than my dad’s.

“What happened to classy Marissa? This girl looks like a slut.” She made it look like she was trying to speak softly so I wouldn’t hear her, but I know she definitely wanted me to hear her.

“Mom, trust me it’s the complete opposite except I wouldn’t exactly call Kris classy, but she is better than Marissa who was the slut because she cheated on me.” Luke stood up for me and his mom hugged him and gave him a kiss on the top of his head.

“If you ask me I think Marissa is definitely better than Kris.” Mackenzie said and flashed her little smirk my way.

“Well no one asked you.” Luke said sounding a little angry.

“I have a feeling that I am not well-liked here.” I threw out there and everyone kind of stared at me like I wasn’t welcomed into this argument. With ignoring my comment they all went back to arguing and I felt like this was not my scene, so I said bye to Luke even though he probably didn’t hear me.

I was almost off their front lawn when I heard someone call my name and I was hoping that it was Luke, but unfortunately it was his mom. Wow out of everyone who could of noticed I was gone it had to be Luke’s mom or maybe this was a good sign. Anyways I met her halfway and asked, “What is it?” I tried not to sound rude.

“I would really prefer that you stay away from my son okay?” She touches my shoulder and I grabbed her arm and took it off me because even if I was nice and polite she already has made her opinion about me.

“Now why would I do that?” I gave her a fake smile.

“Just because your father is rich in all doesn’t mean that you fit into our lifestyle. You are a confused little girl who definitely does not know what she has gotten herself into and there is definitely no room for you in Luke’s life and I am sorry if he made you feel like there was.” Those words stung, but not because they were rude and harsh. But because I have heard them before and I don’t remember where.

I ran back home not because I was scared of her or because I was crying and didn’t want anyone to see me cry because I had to look at something. I go into my suitcase and I take out a box of things that were from my dad. All that was in there was a bracelet that had my name on it, a picture of him kissing my mom, and the note he wrote to my mom that ended everything. I took out the note and I skimmed it until I found the word and then I read them in disbelief.

…Just because I am rich does not mean that you fit into my lifestyle now. You are confused little girl who definitely does not know what she has gotten herself into and there is no room for you in my life anymore and I am sorry if I made you feel like there was.

Almost exactly what Mrs. Anderson said to me. It’s like she did say those words to me because she knew I would recognize them. I began to cry because my dad never did want to leave. It was so hard to believe but Mrs. Anderson is the one who ended my parent’s marriage. The question is why?
♠ ♠ ♠
This is indeed the second to last chapter.