Distorted Perceptions

Obscure

She watches as her father spirals down. Down to where she cannot reach him. It looks lonely down there, with all the darkness churning and growing, moving closer and closer towards him. Her father is broken. No, not broken. Shattered to bits, the delicate shards falling, hurtling towards the abyss that slowly consumes him. He can't move, can't breathe. His thoughts have gone from this world. She wants to help him, but there's nothing left to help. It's far too late to aid him, to save him from his fate.

The chair where her mother had once sat is empty, and now he is empty as well. Just a shell filled with memories and hopes of things that will never be. A false barrier put up in a final desperate attempt to remain even the slightest bit human. But he's not human. Not anymore. He chooses to be alone, chooses to push her away. The shadows have descended upon him, taking control of his life, or what little life remains behind that broken mirror that reflects everything he once had, yet can never obtain again. No, he is not human at all. He has morphed into just another face of evil, a lifeless pawn among many in the devil's game of chess.

She, being so young, doesn't know all of the horrors the darkness contains. She's unaware of the effect it has on the people around her, of the effect it will eventually have upon herself. But the darkness approaches quickly, devours souls with reckless abandon. It doesn't care for so called "feelings". It takes all feeling away and replaces it with thoughts of confusion, of hopelessness, of revenge. This darkness cares not about the age or gender of its victims. It feeds off anything it can get ahold of until its ravenous actions make sure there's nothing left. No more memories, no more hopes, no more dreams. Just an abandoned body occupied by a damaged soul. Damaged far beyond repair. And that's what her father has become.

His gaze turns towards her, heart sinking as she watches his remorseful eyes fill with rage, hatred, disgust. His mouth twitches, struggling to form words. She wants to pretend not to hear, wants to scream, to block them out. Shut her eyes and retreat from her falling world. But her father repeats those words. Over and over, he chants them, voice raising as his body emerges from the depths, leaving his soul and consciousness behind. He has gone from this world with her mother and left behind his skin which quickly fills with foul, spiteful, malicious evils. They move his mouth and speak those words. The words she knows her father would never speak, but this is not her father. Her father has left her, and she is alone.

"It's your fault. It's all your fault."

And so the darkness eats her, and she is left empty as well.