Status: Coming Soon

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Meeting

“Stevie!” My girlfriend of a year Carissa yelled from downstairs. I groaned before I yelled back, “What?”

“Come down here!” She yelled back. Once again I groaned as I got out of bed. Today was one of the very few days I have off all season from everything, and I just wanted to spend the morning sleeping while Carissa went to work.

“What is it?” I asked as soon as I got downstairs.

“There is a huge snake by the door.” She freaked.

“Let me take a look.” I opened up the door thinking it was just a little garden snake or something, not something I would actually have to worry about. But boy was I wrong, I ran back into the house slamming the door behind me.

“Well did you get it?” she asked.

“Hell no, this calls for professionals, that thing was huge.” I pulled out my phone to look for a number to call to get rid of the snake.

“What am I supposed to do until they get here? I have to go to work.” Carissa whined.

“Why don’t you just use the back door?” I told her, she just huffed before she left. “Thank god she’s gone.” I mumble under my breath as I found a place to call.

Alligators Ally,

555-555-0099

We will take gators, snakes and other
Reptiles off your hand without killing them!


“Alligators Ally, Marie speaking, what can we help you with?” a women answered.

“Hello, I have a big snake that is in the garden right outside my door.” I explained to her as I peeked out the window to make sure the snake was still there.

“Can you describe the snake to me?” she asked politely.

“I don’t know how big it is exactly because it’s all curled up but he is as thick as a softball, with brown spots.” I described it.

“That sounds like a Burmese Python. What’s your address so we can get someone to you as soon as possible?” I quickly rambled off my address. “We have someone a block away; they should be there within a couple of minutes.”

“Thank you.” I told her relieved someone was coming right away.

“No problem.” With that she hung up.

A couple minutes later a blue truck with the Alligators Ally logo pulled into my driveway. I quickly ran out of the house forgetting I was just in my pajama shorts. When I neared the truck a girl around my age about 5’8” with brown hair and blue eyes, she was wearing khaki shorts, with a blue tank flip flops and a necklace that had some sort of tooth on it.

“Hi, did you call about a snake?” The girl asked politely.

“Uh, yes.” I said after a moment delay, was this girl really going to pick up the snake?

“Let me grab my hook and bag and I will get this guy for you.” She gave me a breathtaking smile. “Oh, by the way I’m Beth.” She reached out her hand.

“Steven.” I shook her hand with my own smile.

“So where is this snake?” She asked with excitement in her eyes, the same kind my mom always told me I got right before I got on the ice.

“It’s by the front door wrapped around a bush.” I said all of a sudden getting shy.

“Sweet” she said walking over to take a look. “That’s defiantly a Burmese.” She smiled.

“What does that mean?”

“Well Burmese pythons are not native to Florida and have been wreaking havoc on the economic system that Florida has had set up.” She explained a little.

“How did they come here if they’re not native?” I asked still very curious.

“Mostly pets that have been released once the owners realize that they can’t handle how big they get or they don’t have adequate cages for them.” She said slipping off her flip flops and placing them on the porch. Before she started to hook the snake and pull back. “However this one was born in the wild.” She said as she struggled to get the snake out of the bush. “He isn’t used to being handled by people.” She answered my question before I even had a chance to ask her.

Finally after a couple minutes of struggling Beth finally pulled the snake free. But didn’t put it in the bag right away, she explained to me that it was necessary to tire the snake out so it won’t bite when you are putting it in the bag. When she got a hold of it she kissed it before placing it in the bag.

“Wow, you make that look easy.”

“It’s what I do.” She smiled as she slipped her flip flops on before placing the bagged snake in the back of the truck.

“Thank you for getting rid of the snake.” I said walking her to the front of her truck.

“No problem.” Her smile bright, “Good luck tomorrow night. Beat some Panther ass.” With that she jumped into her truck and took off. I just stood there shocked. She didn’t even let on that she knew who I was. I was shocked but she left me with a good feeling.

91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-91-

“Holy shit, did I really just meet Steven Stamkos?” I spoke to myself once I was around the block. Not only did I meet him he was shirtless as well. I was still freaking out as my phone rang with my mother’s ringtone.

“Hey ma,” I answered.

“Hey Beth did you catch that snake?” she asked immediately which only could mean one thing, there was another call.

“Where do you need me to go?” I asked causing my mother to laugh.

“Your brother needs your help with a 13 foot alligator.” She explained.

“Alright text me the address.” I huffed jokingly like I didn’t want to go out to help my brother.

“What got you in such a good mood?” she asked knowing that when she saw me this morning I was in the worst mood. When I didn’t answer she answered for me. “Was that guy who called about the snake hot?” she asked and I blushed. “He was, wasn’t he? Damn I forgot to ask his name, what was it?”

“Mom I’m at the next house I have to go.” I said not wanting to tell her anything.

“Elizabeth Ann, tell me.” She scolded through the phone.

“Steven, his name was Steven.” I said as I hung up on her and got out of my truck to find my brother Justin in the back with the alligator.

“It took you long enough, Beth.” Justin joked as he stood back away from the legit 13 foot alligator in the middle of the yard.

“Sorry I thought you could have gotten it by yourself but obviously you need help from your all mighty sister.” I joked.

“You try to get this bad boy by yourself.” He challenged.

“Eh, it’s your catch, I can’t take all the glory.” I smirked at him. He scoffed but let it go as we got down to work to tire this gator out. It took about a half hour before I jumped on the Gators back and closed its mouth while Justin taped it shut.

“You’ll never guess who I met today.” I told him as we carried the gator to his truck.

“Who?” he asked intrigued.

“Stamkos.” I said non-shallantly. He almost dropped the gator as he turned to look at me, to see if I was telling the truth or not.

“No way I don’t believe you.” He said sternly.

“Whatever I am telling the truth, that’s why the python in my truck is named Stammie.” I told him, he knew I named every catch that I have caught by myself based off of the surroundings, the reptile itself or the people that I have me during that job.

“I need proof in order to believe you.” He stated I just shrugged because I knew the truth.

When we got back to the office we logged the gator and snake into the system before putting them in their new homes. Justin continuing to question me actually meeting Stamkos. Finally when I finished setting Stammie up in his new home, I left to head back to the office leaving Justin finishing up with Big Papa.

“Beth, a guy named Steven dropped this off for you while you were in the back.” My mother smirked at me as she handed me a box. “He is hot.”

I blushed as I took the box from her, it couldn’t have been Steven Stamkos it had to be another Steven I knew but I didn’t know another Steven. I quickly opened up the box curious what could have been in it. Inside was a note above the tissue paper.

Beth,

Thank you for removing the python from my front yard. It was great meeting you. Hope to see you tomorrow night.

Steven Stamkos


“How would I see him tomorrow night?” I asked myself out loud forgetting my mom was in the office.

“You’re seeing him tomorrow?” She smiled at happily. I chose to ignore her as I continued to open the package. I pulled out two tickets and locker passes and nearly dropped them.

“Holy shit,” I yelled extremely excited.

“What is it?” My mother asked, being nosey as always.

“Hockey tickets,” I stated simply.

“Oh” she said sounding disappointed, she never understood the love my brother and I have for hockey.

“Mom, Steven plays hockey.” I told her and she instantly became the overexcited mom that I knew and loved.

“What else is in the box?” She asked trying to peek as I pulled out a signed Stamkos jersey.

“Where the hell did you get that?” Justin asked seeing the jersey in my hand.

“A very nice boy named Steven dropped it off for her.” My mother said causing my brothers jaw to drop.

“You were telling the truth about meeting Stamkos weren’t you.” He looked at me, I just nodded.

“I am glad you believe me because I need someone to go to the game with me tomorrow.” I held up the tickets. He smiled big before running over to me and giving me a huge hug.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter, kind of short but the others will be a little longer. I don't know if their is an alligator/snake problem in Tampa, I know there is one in the Everglades so please just work with me. Comment and subscribe