Status: Active!

Shelter

Jack

Jack woke up early the next morning, and the first thing he realized was that he had actually gotten a full night’s sleep. He wasn’t woken up in the middle of the night by Alex. He frowned slightly when he remembered why, though – Alex had been an asshole to him last night. They really needed to get rid of the overabundance of alcohol on the bus so Alex wouldn’t be able to get his hands on it.

Jack ran a hand through his hair before rolling out of his bunk and heading up front. He stopped suddenly when he walked in, startled to see Alex sleeping on the couch with a bandaged foot elevated slightly. “What the fuck?” he questioned, looking around at the others.

Flyzik looked up at Jack, glancing at Alex before sighing and explaining the story. “Last night I woke up when I heard Alex screaming and heard a thump. It woke Rian up too, and we both ran back to see what was happening. Turns out the dumbass had stepped on the broken glass from that bottle he threw at you last night. We had to take him to the hospital.”

“The hospital? It was that bad? And why did he step on it in the first place?” Jack asked, frowning.

“He was having a nightmare. It sounded bad from what he mumbled out to me. He kept asking for you but we told him that you didn’t want to see him, because you were so mad at him last night.

“You should have woken me up. Alex getting injured is way different from Alex having a nightmare. He was probably having a panic attack without me,” Jack said, feeling guilty and a little upset with them.

Rian grimaced, “Sorry. He did have an anxiety attack when we got into the hospital, but we didn’t know what to do. We couldn’t really run back to the bus and get you.”

Jack sighed and sat down near Alex’s head gently, trying not to disturb his sleep. “So what happened with the foot? It must have been pretty bad if you had to take him to the hospital.”

“The doctor got all the glass out of his foot. I tried to do it myself on the bus but there were too many little pieces stuck in it, that’s why I decided to drag him into the hospital. They had to put a few stitches in one of the cuts that just wouldn’t stop bleeding. Alex should be fine to play on stage as long as he doesn’t put too much weight on that foot. He’s supposed to keep it elevated for a day or two, at least while he’s on the bus,” Flyzik explained.

“He’s such a klutz,” Jack murmured, reaching down and pushing Alex’s bangs out of his face.

“Sorry that I didn’t wake you up. I should have known that you’d want to baby him,” Rian apologized, though there was a hint of amusement in his voice.

“I don’t baby him,” Jack protested.

Flyzik chuckled, “You’re right – you treat him more like royalty.”

“Maybe it’s a good thing that Jack didn’t comfort him. I mean, he has to learn to deal with these things on his own,” Rian admitted. He looked at Jack hesitantly, as if he was afraid he’d get yelled at by the younger boy.

“Obviously he can’t deal with nightmares on his own – he had an anxiety attack,” Jack muttered.

“Okay, valid point. We just don’t really get it... why are you so good to the boy that makes your life hell half the time? I mean I know you’re best friends and you like him, but...” Flyzik asked, looking genuinely curious.

“I love him. When you love someone as much as I love him you’ll do anything for them, even when they piss you off. I’d go to the end of the earth to make him happy,” Jack said softly, looking down at Alex.

--------------------

Jack ate breakfast and got dressed, but he decided to stay by Alex’s side while he was sleeping. It’s not like he had anything better to do – they were driving all day, so everyone was confined to the bus. Jack was scrolling through Twitter on his phone, one hand resting on Alex’s chest, when he suddenly felt Alex stir. He looked down and saw Alex yawn, blinking a few times before looking up at Jack. Jack blushed slightly, realizing his hand was still on Alex’s chest. He pulled it away, greeting, “Hey, sleepy head.”

“Hey,” Alex said through another yawn, pushing himself up to a sitting position. He frowned when he looked at his foot.

“How does your foot feel?” Jack questioned, slipping his phone into his pocket.

Alex shrugged, scooting so he was sitting next to Jack, “It hurts like hell, but I’ll get over it. It’s my own fault.”

“True.”

“Jack, I don’t remember what happened last night, but I know we fought, so I’m sorry. I need to stop drinking so I stop yelling at you. I know I hurt your feelings. And I’m really, really sorry that I chucked a beer bottle at you. I’m glad it shattered against the door and ended up cutting my foot instead of knocking you out,” Alex said with a sigh.

Jack smiled sympathetically, “It’s okay, Alex. I forgive you. You don’t need to feel so bad about it to the point where you’re glad you got hurt, though.”

“Better me than you,” Alex mumbled.

“Don’t say that,” Jack scolded, reaching out to hold Alex’s hand gently. “I don’t ever want you hurt and I really don’t want to hear you saying you want to get hurt.”

“Sorry. I know you hate it when I say stuff like that,” Alex apologized, smiling slightly.

“And by the way... I’m sorry if that kiss bothered you yesterday. When I kissed you before we went onstage. I thought maybe that’s the reason you were so pissed off and got drunk,” Jack admitted.

Alex shook his head quickly, “No, it’s fine. I liked it, to be honest.”

“Really?” Jack asked, beaming. Alex sighed.

“Don’t get your hopes up – you know how I feel about relationships,” Alex said, squeezing Jack’s hand slightly before letting go.

“Maybe you could try it, just for me?” Jack asked, smiling hopefully. Alex gave him a look that clearly said no, and Jack sighed in defeat. “I’ll shut up.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww, Jack's still being sweet. Alex still isn't budging on the relationship thing though...

I was going to update this earlier today but totally forgot, so here it is. I'll update again either mid-week or by the weekend. The next one is a little shorter, but a lot of the chapters might be like that at times. It's another cute one.

By the way... if any of you guys read Mistakes We Wouldn't Learn From, I finally updated it. Sorry it took so long.

Thanks to:
Iceyythepenguin
Draven;
dead lovely
BeautifullyTattooed
Jimmy.Sullivan
sylarisahero
ilalalovealltimelow
krazy4gaskarth
kew_atl
coolstoryBrosif
anna;
thisxchicksxnotxokay
indibear
Lilyn
Thereis182greendays
sierrakusterbeck

for their comments!