Sequel: Veiled Love

Masked Love

Awake

The first thing I notice when I begin to awake is the pressure of someone’s hand on mine. However, my thoughts are all a blur and I cannot figure out who it is. Then I hear voices. I recognize my mother’s immediately. She sounds shaky and tired. The next person I hear is Addie. Her voice sounds comforting, but I cannot make out what they are saying. Slowly the voices go away but the pressure remains. In fact, it gets stronger. When my head clears, I can barely make out a whisper. It is soft and somewhat shaken, as if the person was tired or crying.

“Nicola, I am so sorry. This is all my fault.” It’s Luca. Slowly my eyes flutter open and I look up at him. I try to speak but I end up coughing instead. His head lifts and his beautiful light blue eyes look into mine. Without a word he pulls me into him and holds me. “I was so scared. You were getting worse. I thought you would never wake.” When he finally lays me back down, he kisses my forehead. His hand never leaves mine.

“How long have you been here?” I say when my throat is finally clear.

“He has been here every chance he can get.” Addie comes running through the door and embraces me. I notice a small ring on her tiny left hand.

“Congratulations! I can’t believe it. You two are perfect.”

“I know we are.” Noé comes in with a huge smile and gently kisses his fiancé’s cheek. “But what Addie said is true. The prince has been here whenever he can get away from court. He even slept in here a couple times.”

“A couple times? How long have I been asleep?” The thought never occurred to me that I could have been asleep for more than a day. I start to worry about all the work I missed. Luca spoke up.

“It has been almost a week, love. Everyone in the castle has been worried. Even Korine.”

“The moment I’m stronger, I’ll get back to work.” The more I started to worry, the weaker I being to feel. I still don’t know how sick I have been. There is a light knock on the door and I see my mother’s face.

“May I join you?” Her face is still wet with tears but her smile grows when she sees me.

“Of course, mother. Oh, mother this is Luca.”

“We know each other very well.”

“If you mother wasn't here, Luca was. They talked often and got reacquainted.” Addie can’t hold back her laughter. It is so obvious that Luca is in love with me. He can’t keep his eyes off me, like he is still convincing himself that I’m awake.

“Have I missed anything? Has anything exciting happened?” They fill me in on the week’s events. The knights have been sent to different parts of Europe to invite the nobles to the ball. It was to be the most exquisite ball of the century. The palace is being scrubbed and practically torn apart and rebuilt to be even more magnificent. Huge deliveries of food, tapestries, livestock, and flowers are coming every day from around the country. It was a sight to be seen according to Addie.

By the time they are finished talking to me I am exhausted, but hungry. My body made that very clear by its obnoxious rumbling. Luca smiled and set out with Addie and Noé to find me some food. My mother stays by my side. “He loves you so much my dear.”

“I know. I love him more than anything. Has he really been here that often?”

“Any moment he can spare. Korine is quite put out. It is funny to watch, but I am afraid she might take it out on you if she finds out where he has been. Her spies are everywhere I hear. I am so happy you two found each other but I fear for you both.”

“I don’t know what he is going to do. He is supposed to propose at the ball. That is why it was planned in the first place. Why do you think it’s so unnecessarily grand?” I start to worry again. Luca had no choice but to marry Korine. What would happen if he didn't? Would he be disowned? Would it matter? I am already a commoner, and if Luca truly loves me he will want to be with me no matter what happens. Right?

The thinking makes me tired and mother urges me to rest. I can’t sleep but I rest my eyes while my mother sews by the fire. After about an hour, Addie returns with some broth. I can tell it’s fresh by the steam rising from the bowl. She sits beside me as I eat the delicious stew. I can’t help but notice she’s alone. Luca didn't come with her. She sees the curiosity in my face and smiles.

“It’s dinner in the great hall. He couldn't miss that, but he said when he retires for the night, he’ll come to say goodnight.”

“Thank you, Addie. You have been such a wonderful friend. And now you’re practically a full woman. How did he propose?”

“Oh Nikki it was wonderful! It was in the stables two nights ago. I was so worried about you, I never saw it coming. Noe thought it would be good to get me out of the palace for a little while so we went to the stables where we usually talk. There were flowers hanging from the ceiling and candles everywhere. I don’t know how the horses were able to stay to calm. It was so beautiful. Then he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him.”

“I am so happy for you. I know now that you will be happy forever.” I try to hold back my tears. She is so happy and sure of the one she loves. I am caught in an impossible relationship that is so unbelievable it could ruin the lives of so many people. Of course there is some hope, but unfortunate things had to happen either way. Someone is going to get hurt no matter what happens. “Addie, I feel tired. I think I’m going to rest for a while.”
“Alright, goodnight Nicola.”

“Oh, and could you bring me some sewing tomorrow? I don’t want to be completely useless.” She smiles at me and shakes her head.

“Of course I will, but don’t push yourself to hard.” She leaves and so does my mother.

When I am finally alone, the tears fall from my eyes. I have been holding them back for so long. It feels horrible and uncontrollable and yet I feel somewhat relieved. They needed to come out and it was a perfect time. I had so many excuses for doing so. I think about Luca, how good he has been and how much I don’t want to lose him. I finally found the boy of my dreams and he was so close to going away again.

Because I’m crying I am unaware of the door opening. I just see Luca kneeling beside my bed, his face distressed. “What’s wrong? Please tell me.” He grabs my hand and brings me closer to him.

“I don’t want to lose you again. I don’t think I could take it.” The tears keep falling and they don’t stop.

“I will not lose you. Nothing is going to pull us apart. Never. I promise.”

“But what about Korine? Your station? Your life? You would give it all up?”

“Of course I would. I am pretty sure Korine would survive. She has a waiting list for all the suitors she could ever want.”

“Did you ever love her?” I honestly want to know. If there is any chance that he did, there is a large chance he would choose her over me.

“I thought I did. Then I saw how she really was. She is so fake around me. Korine is cruel and selfish and I could never love someone like that.”

“But I would be taking you away from everything you've ever known. Isn't that selfish too?”

“Not if I want that too. Now you need to get some rest. Goodnight, love. I’ll see you in the morning.” He kisses my forehead and gets up to leave.

“Please don’t go.” The words are out before I can stop them.

“Alright, I’ll stay.” His smile is wide as he took off his boots and gets up on the bed. After making sure I am comfortable, he lays down beside me and holds me as I drift off to sleep.