Status: Slowly progressing...

The Reckless and The Brave

Chapter 6

Liah bit her lip and knocked on door lightly, then shoved her hands in the pockets of Jack's hoodie. The door opened quickly, and Daliah filed into the small office. The door shut as fast as it had opened as she shrugged off the hoodie, taking in the stifling heat of the room.

The room was all brick walls, with nothing other than a desk and a Mac computer resting in the corner to her left, with a single chair in front of it. She knew she should sit, but she lingered instead, guard up and on high alert. There were many certificates and diplomas on the walls, along with pictures of him and herself on vacation in Baltimore.

The smiling faces in front of her never seemed to lie so much. "You're happy with him, he loves you!" The photo gushed much like her sister had when Liah announced they were dating. Her parents didn't approve of her and Raymon, who was 23 when they began dating.

He was 25 now, a college graduate, and an asshole. Raymon was staring at her, she could feel it. But she just couldn't help it, she couldn't look at him, so instead she tried to commit the vacation photos to memory. It was hard for her to remember a time where she was truly happy, yet there the evidence was, staring at her in vivid color.

"Look at me, Daliah." Raymon said neutrally. Liah winced to herself, knowing what that voice meant. He wasn't at all happy with her. Still, she turned to him, squared her shoulders in defiance and held her head high. "Where were you?" He asked, forcefully taking her delicate jaw in his hand, prying her mouth open slightly.

He then leaned into her, his face hardly an inch away from her, and he inhaled. "Jager. Are you fucking serious, Daliah? You ditched me for a party full of teenagers who hardly know how to tie their own shoes let alone hold down a drink." Raymon said in disbelief.

She narrowed her crystal blue eyes at him dangerously, "Excuse you, but those 'teenagers' are free-thinking eighteen year old adults, much like myself! Well, most of them." Daliah sighed in frustration.

Raymon rubbed a hand on his stubbled jaw and raised his eyebrows, considering what she had said. "Whose jacket is that?" He asked with his arms crossed, hardly needing to point at the bright blue hoodie that sat alienated on the chair in front of his desk. Liah caught her lip in between her teeth with anxiety, and he noticed.

"Another guy, perhaps?" Ray chuckled darkly. "Maybe I should remind you of what you have."

* * * *

Zack pushed through the coffeeshop door and inhaled deeply, loving the smell of rich coffee beans and warm milk. The walls were all brick, with prints from local artists, and some band posters. He lowered his messenger hat over his eyes when he saw one of his band. He shrugged off his jacket and walked to the left side of the room, where the barista stood, eyeing him.

"Morning." Zack greeted in low tones. He rubbed is cheeks, still a little tired from burning his energy on the way there. His eyes flickered up to the girl with strawberry blonde hair and a beauty mark on her left cheekbone.

"Good morning," She smiled like a ray of sunshine. "What can I do for you today?" Zack mentally noted that she had a very very faint southern accent, and it kind of irritated him.

"Um," His eyes searched around for Daliah, but she wasn't around. "Hmm..." He mumbled through closed lips. The barista's nametag read, "Grace".

Their eyes met, and Zack was pleasantly surprised to see that she was not looking at him like he was on crack, but was waiting patiently for an answer. He glanced about the room one more time, counting the number of customers, which was two, including himself, before looking her in the eyes again. He couldn't help noticing they were the color of iced tea.

"I'm looking for someone."

"Were you supposed to meet here?" Grace questioned with polite curiosity.

Zack shook his head, "I followed her here."

"Well, that sure does sound creepy." She giggled lightly, and Zack felt his lips tug up in the corners, but just a hair.

"No, she works here. Her name's Daliah." Again, the boy was looking about the room like a pig was going to fly out of one of the air ducts and into the window if he didn't keep searching for it.

"Oh, Liah? Yeah, she should be in soon. Want a coffee while you wait, sugar?" Her accent came out a little more, making Zack cringe at the unfamiliar sound.

Bang!

The sound came from the back of the shop, followed by a muffled cry. "What the fuck is going on back there?" He asked Grace with wide eyes.

Grace bit her lip and considered her words. "I think Liah's here...but she's late." Her eyebrows raised in sympathy. "Oh, Raymon don't like it when she's late." She tugged at her apron, nervous, and hoping she isn't giving too much away to the stranger.

Just like that, Zack was off like a shot, trying his best to make his way through the maze of small closets and doors at the back of the shop. Finally he heard another bang and saw the door to his left vibrating slightly. He stomped to the door and pounded on it.

All movement ceased, all sounds except for the blood roaring into Zack's ears. He knocked again, harder, and this time the door opened. "What the fuck man?" Raymon was yelling in his wanna-be authorative voice.

Zack narrowed his eyes at the hipster-looking dude. "What the hell is going on back here?" He growled.

Raymon scoffed, "As if it's any of your business." One of Zack's eyebrows lifted in surprise, but only slightly. He looked the older man up and down, sizing him up. This guy was somewhat chunky, but had a strong grip, Zack could tell just by the way he was holding the door. Zack assured himself he could take him on if necessary, and caught sight of Daliah, newly-formed bruises peppering her delicate jaw, and tears in her eyes.

He nodded his head to his side, telling her to move by his side, but she was frozen. Raymon laughed without humor. "Get the fuck out of my building."

"Not without her." He said without missing a beat.

Daliah got little control of her feet and slowly made her way to the door, testing the waters, knowing full-well that Raymon could turn on her at any second. As predicted, he held out an arm to stop her without taking his eyes off of Zack.

"No." Was all Raymon had to say. With no effort at all, Zack broke the barrier that was his arm away from the wall, grabbed Liah by the wrist, plucked up her jacket and walked out the back door.

"You have your keys?" Zack asked her distractedly, opening her passenger side door which was miraculously left unlocked and placing her in the seat. She handed them over as Raymon came out of the back door towards Zack. He was completely livid, and it was written all over his face and the crowbar in his hands.

Zack continued to the driver side door, never turning his back to the pissed off man. He inched his way closer and closer, but Zack was faster. He got in the car, turned on the ignition and sped away as fast as he could.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title: Coffeeshop Soundtrack - All Time Low

I know it's kind of shitty. May re-write later. I just thought an update was overdue.