Higher Than Hope

Chapter 20

"I can't believe I have to stay behind in the flat while my brother goes to Texas, that sounds so exciting", said Irina with a pout as her and Larissa walked out the door of their high school.

"I know, Texas sounds like such an interesting place. And my dad doesn't like Nail, but he can't stop me", said Larissa proudly.

"Why doesn't he like my brother?", asked Irina, raising an eyebrow.

"Our dad is racist, he subscribes to these newsletters and websites which say that Muslims are going to take over and that everything is some sort of conspiracy against Jews or the Illuminati, stuff like that. It's embarrassing", said Larissa.

Irina made a face. "What nonsense is that? We have those sorts in Russia too", she said in disgust.

Larissa nodded in agreement as they stood on the corner to wait for the bus. Ryan's truck pulled up to the curb as they got inside, the radio tuned to the ever-present country station playing Don't Give Up on Me by Jason Aldean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReuJvHIQ-_Y

I don't go to church enough,
I curse out loud I drink too much,
I'm more of a sinner than a saint,
Gotta dusty bible on my shelf,
I just pick it up when I need help,
Lord knows there's a lot I need to change,
And I want to baby you make me want to,

You tie the knot when I'm at the end of my rope,
You never stop believing in me when I don't know,
Who I am or what I'm supposed to be,
I don't give you no good reasons,
But baby don't give up on me,

I've smoked my last cigarette,
At least a hundred times I bet,
I guess I'll just keep quitting til it sticks,
But for all the things I've failed to do,
I've never failed at loving you,
We both know I can't grant your every wish,
But I want to baby you make me want to[I/]

"Ladies, I'm not going to make you wait for the bus", he chuckled.

"Where is everyone else?", asked Larissa.

"Nail and the others are back at the building, we're all going to O'Byrne's for dinner. Don't worry ladies, since you're with us you can have a beer", he chuckled.

"Are you going to pick up Anna or is she coming over?", asked Larissa.

"Of course I'm picking her up, I'm not letting my girl go by myself", said Ryan in mock-horror.

"I'm just messing with you, Ryan", she laughed.

"What is O'Byrne's?", asked Irina.

"It's an Irish bar we like, it's got great food and lots of beers on tap and there's karaoke tonight", he chuckled.

Ryan arrived at the building and parked his truck after being waved in by security, leading them towards the elevator upstairs. Nail was watching NHL Network when they came in, his face lighting up when he saw them as Larissa wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. "Privyet, ladies. Are you ready to visit O'Byrne's?", he asked.

"Da, brother. Just don't drink too much", teased Irina.

"Ocheyn vesylya, maleynky sister. We are flying out to Texas after all", he chuckled.

"You have to take a lot of pictures, Nail. Texas sounds interesting", said Larissa.

"It is, Texas is a real-one-of-a-kind place. It's also the reason Tumblr and Instagram were invented", said Ryan dryly.

There was a knock on the door and Ryan opened it to see Taylor and Jordan on the other side. "Hey guys, Magnus and Jonesy are joining us later. You ladies ready to party?", asked Taylor.

"We can't do much partying, Hallsy. You do not want to fly with a hangover", teased Jordan as Taylor flipped him off.

Irina raised an eyebrow and frowned. "Don't mind them, they have an epic bromance going on", teased Ryan.

"It's a hockey thing, they bicker like an old married couple", laughed Nail.

"Yeah, it's something you'll have to get used to", laughed Jonesy as him and Magnus entered the apartment.

"Guys, you're lucky that security knows you are or else you'll get your asses kicked", teased Ryan.

"You guys shouldn't have left the door open, Nuge. Anyways, let's pick up your girl and show these ladies a good time", said Jonesy as Ryan grabbed the keys.

Jordan followed the group out of the apartment and felt his own keys in his jeans pocket, checking out Irina from the corner of his eyes. She wore black skinny jeans and a tight black t-shirt with a glitter design on the front which showed off her tanned lower belly, her long dark hair falling loose around her shoulders and a silver locket on a chain around her slim neck. Geez, why does Nail have to have such a hot sister, I hope he doesn't kick my ass, he thought wryly.

"Ebs, I saw you checking out the sister. You better be careful or else he'll kick your ass", teased Jonesy as him, Taylor and Magnus got in his truck.

Jordan blushed guiltily. "Don't say that, Jonesy", chided Magnus.

"Nah, I'm just messing with him. Nail's a good dude, it's about time you got yourself a chick, Ebs. I swear you have less game than Nuge, and he's found himself a chick. When was the last time you got laid?", asked Taylor as they backed out of the parking spot.

Jordan blushed deep red with embarrassment. "Uh, before I broke up with my ex when I played for the Pats. I don't do the whole hooking up thing", he mumbled.

"Damn, that's a long time. I ought to get you the box too", laughed Taylor as Jordan flipped him off.

"I know I have to use condoms and I don't need a porno to tell me how to have sex", he retorted as Magnus burst into laughter.

"Ja, you two are so funn. You are worse than an old married couple", he teased.

"It's really easy to pick on Ebs, he's a yokel from Saskatchewan", joked Taylor.

The entire group arrived at O'Byrne's after Ryan went to pick up Anna at the library, finding empty spaces in the adjacent lot. "Guys, if you're going to do anything, wait until we leave", teased Jonesy as Anna giggled.

"Of course, and lucky you guys don't have a game tomorrow", she giggled as she squeezed Ryan's hand.

The group was led to two large tables squeezed together near the bar as a waitress came over and handed them their menus. "One round of Molsons", Jonesy told the waitress.

"We're starting off with the lighter stuff first, then we can get onto the serious brews", explained Jordan.

"They got all these different kinds of burgers and the steakhouse really good, and so are the wings. They make their own sauces and they go to very hot", said Taylor as he explained the menu.

Jordan glanced down at his own menu and felt vaguely irritated with his best friend, knowing that he wasn't trying anything. "Hallsy's right, the stuff here is really good. Since Alberta has a lot of ranches, the beef is always good", Jordan chuckled.

Irina raised an eyebrow and there was an amused look in her green eyes, the corner of her lisp turned up in a smile. "Then I will take your advice, Mr. Eberle", she said coyly.

Nail and Larissa tried to suppress their laughter. "Da, I agree with my sister there, Jordan", he said as the waitress came by with their beers.

Irina tried to look nonchalant as the waitress set down a beer in front of her, seeing the golden nectar in the large pint glass. She took a sip of beer and nodded in approval, much to everyone's amusement. "I remember my first beer too", said Jonesy as he drained half the glass in one gulp.

"They got karoake later", Jordan mused aloud.

"Then you go up there, Ebs", teased Taylor.

"At least they got all kinds of karaoke, I don't sing country music very good", said Magnus with a laugh.

"Maggie, I don't think they have country music in Sweden. And I don't know if they have any Swedish House Mafia either", teased Jonesy.

"I'm not going to do that, I heard some Boney M on Sirius this morning and I want to do some", he replied.

"I will join you, my mom loves Boney M. I want to do Rasputin", said Irina.

"That's a good idea, Irina", he said.

"Spasibo", she replied.

Jordan tried not to feel jealous at their little conversation, drinking a large swallow of beer. Taylor smirked knowingly and kicked him under the table, feigning innocence with his wide and blue. "Dude, you are so transparent", exclaimed Jonesy as the waitress came by with a round of Big Rock and several shots of Crown.

Jordan's face grew hot and the tips of his ears turned bright red as he slammed back the shot and chased it with the beer. "Very funny, Jonesy", he retorted.

"Ebs, you have no game whatsoever. Even Nuge managed to get himself a chick", joked Taylor.

"You will find a nice girl, Mr. Eberle", said Irina reassuringly.

"Uh, thank you, Miss Yakupova", he mumbled.

"Call me Irina, Jordan", she giggled.

Nail drank some beer as he tried not to laugh, Larissa giggling as she leaned against him. "Jordan, you heard my sister", he joked.

Jordan was more than relieved when the food arrived, his cheeks still red. By the time dinner was finished he was sure his face would be permanently red, as Irina kept flirting with him the whole time. Her large green eyes followed his every move and a smile always appeared on her lips, soft giggles escaping her throat when he glanced her way. Everyone at the table smiled smiled knowingly as the waitress came by with another round of beers, the karaoke machine being set up on the tiny stage.

The group watched a few people get up and sing, the performances okay as the alcohol hadn't kicked in yet. Magnus tipped the waitress as she set down a plate with three shots of cranberry aquavit, downing two of them and handing one to Irina. "It's for your nerves, Miss Yakupova", he explained.

Irina nodded in thanks and sipped the drink, her eyes going wide at the taste of the strong liquor. "I know, but us Swedes make a lot of it and it's stronger than vodka", he chuckled.

Magnus took her by the hand as they approached the stage, the speakers playing the opening notes of Rasputin by Boney M as the words flashed onscreen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVD4yit4X8w

There lived a certain man in Russia long ago
He was big and strong, in his eyes a flaming glow
Most people looked at him with terror and with fear
But to Moscow chicks he was such a lovely dear
He could preach the bible like a preacher
Full of ecstasy and fire
But he also was the kind of teacher
Women would desire

RA RA RASPUTIN
Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone
RA RA RASPUTIN
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on

He ruled the Russian land and never mind the czar
But the kasachok he danced really wunderbar
In all affairs of state he was the man to please
But he was real great when he had a girl to squeeze
For the queen he was no wheeler dealer
Though she'd heard the things he'd done
She believed he was a holy healer
Who would heal her son

(Spoken:)
But when his drinking and lusting and his hunger
for power became known to more and more people,
the demands to do something about this outrageous
man became louder and louder.

"This man's just got to go!" declared his enemies
But the ladies begged "Don't you try to do it, please"
No doubt this Rasputin had lots of hidden charms
Though he was a brute they just fell into his arms
Then one night some men of higher standing
Set a trap, they're not to blame
"Come to visit us" they kept demanding
And he really came

RA RA RASPUTIN
Lover of the Russian queen
They put some poison into his wine
RA RA RASPUTIN
Russia's greatest love machine
He drank it all and he said "I feel fine"

RA RA RASPUTIN
Lover of the Russian queen
They didn't quit, they wanted his head
RA RA RASPUTIN
Russia's greatest love machine
And so they shot him till he was dead

(Spoken:) Oh, those Russians...[I/]

Their little duet had everyone smiling as they sang the corny German disco classic, Magnus even doing a little Cossack-style kick dance as everyone laughed. "Da, you guys were awesome. Especially you, Irushka", teased Nail.

"Spasibo, that was fun", she giggled.

Jordan smiled wanly at them as he continued to nurse his beer, trying not to feel jealous when he saw them onstage. "Ebs, let's go up there and knock 'em dead", said Jonesy.

Jordan tried to protest but Jonesy grabbed him by the arm and dragged him towards the stage, his face turning pink with embarrassment. The speakers played Boot Scootin Boogie by Brooks and Dunn as both of them sang the fun country duet, some of the people getting up and dancing according to the lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JjHkhATfI

Out in the country past the city limit sign
Well there's a honky tonk near the county line
The joint starts jumpin’ every night when the sun goes down
They got whiskey, women music & smoke
It's where all the country folk go to boot scootin' boogie

I've got a good job I work hard for my money
When it's quittin’ time I hit the door runnin'
I fire up my pickup truck & let the horses run
I go flyin' down that highway to that hideaway
Stuck out in the woods to do the boot scootin' boogie

Yeah, heel, toe, dosey doe come on baby let's go boot scootin
Oh, Cadillac, blackjack, baby meet me out back we're gonna boogie
Oh get down, turn around go to town boot scootin' boogie

Bartender asks me, says son what'll it be
I want a shot of that redhead yonder lookin' at me
The dance floors hoppin' & it's hotter than the fourth of July
I see outlaws, inlaws crooks & straights all out makin' it shake
Doin' the boot scootin' boogie

Yeah, heel, toe, dosey doe come on baby let’s go boot scootin
Oh, Cadillac, blackjack, baby meet me outback we’re gonna boogie
Oh get down, turn around go to town boot scootin’ boogie[I/]

"Ebs, next time you go up there and do it yourself", said Jonesy, clapping him on the back.

Jordan said nothing as his face was still pink, continuing to drink his beer. He watched as Ryan and Anna went onstage and did Islands in the Stream, smiling wistfully and only feeling as Nail got onstage and sang We Danced by Brad Paisley, as Larissa blushed prettily and then beamed. He sang the country ballad in his husky tenor with a heavy Russian accent, looking right at her as everyone at the table smiled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9MDxaCk5Ok

, when I met you there was peace unknown
I set out to get you with a fine tooth comb
I was soft inside, there was somethin' going on

You do something to me that I can't explain
Hold me closer and I feel no pain
Every beat of my heart, we got somethin' goin' on

Tender love is blind, it requires a dedication
All this love we feel, needs no conversation
We ride it together, ah ah
Makin' love with each other, ah ah

Islands in the stream, that is what we are
No one in between, how can we be wrong
Sail away with me to another world
And we rely on each other, ah ah
From one lover to another, ah ah

I can't live without you if the love was gone
Everything is nothin' if you got no one
And you did walk in tonight
Slowly loosen' sight of the real thing
But that won't happen to us and we got no doubt
Too deep in love and we got no way out
And the message is clear

This could be the year for the real thing
No more will you cry, baby, I will hurt you never
We start and end as one, in love forever
We can ride it together, ah ah
Makin' love with each other, ah ah

Islands in the stream, that is what we are
No one in between, how can we be wrong
Sail away with me to another world
And we rely on each other, ah ah
From one lover to another, ah ah

Sail away
Ooh, sail away with me

Islands in the stream, that is what we are
No one in between, how can we be wrong
Sail away with me to another world
And we rely on each other, ah ah
From one lover to another, ah ah

Islands in the stream, that is what we are
No one in between, how can we be wrong
Sail away with me to another world
And we rely on each other, ah ah
From one lover to another, ah ah

Islands in the stream, that is what we are
No one in between, how can we be wrong


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6lTU_bhISI

bar was empty
I was sweeping up the floor
That's when she walked in
I said, "I'm sorry but we're closed"
And she said "I know,
But I'm afraid I left my purse"
I said, "I put one back behind the bar
I bet it's probably yours"
And the next thing that I knew
There we were, lost in conversation
And before I handed her her purse
I said, "You'll only get this back on one condition"

And we danced
Out there on that empty hardwood floor
The chairs up and the lights turned way down low
The music played, we held each other close
And we danced

And from that moment
There was never any doubt
I had found the one
That I had always dreamed about
And then one evenin'
When she stopped by after work
I pulled a diamond ring out of the pocket of my shirt
And as her eyes filled up with tears
She said, "This is the last thing I expected"
And then she took me by the hand
And said, "I'll only marry you on one condition"

And we danced
Out there on that empty hardwood floor
The chairs up and the lights turned way down low
The music played, we held each other close
And we danced

Like no one else had ever danced before
I can't explain what happened on that floor
But the music played
We held each other close
And we danced
Yeah, we danced


"Ebs, your turn", said Jonesy.

Jordan drained the last of his beer and stood up from the table, walking towards the stage and grabbing the mike. The speakers played I Just Wanna Dance with You as he took a deep breath and sang along to the lyrics on screen. Jordan sang along with gusto and smiled a bit when he saw that Irina was riveted to him, her green eyes wide and her cheeks flushed with surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxxhNAyj3QQ

I don't want to be the kind to hesitate,
Be too shy, wait too late
I don't care what they say other lovers do,
I just want to dance with you.

I gotta feeling that you have a heart like mine,
So let it show, let it shine.
If we have a chance to make one heart of two,
I just want to dance with you.

I want to dance with you, twirl you all around the floor
That's what they intended dancin' for,
I just want to dance with you.
I want to dance with you, hold you in my arms once more,
That's what they invented dancin' for,
I just want to dance with you.

I caught you lookin' at me when I looked at you,
Yes I did, ain't that true?
You won't get embarrassed by the things I do,
I just want to dance with you.

Oh the boys are playin' softly and the girls are too,
So am I and so are you.
If this was a movie, we'd be right on cue,
I just want to dance with you.

I want to dance with you, twirl you all around the floor
That's what they intended dancin' for,
I just want to dance with you.
I want to dance with you, hold you in my arms once more,
That's what they invented dancin' for,
I just want to dance with you.

I just want to dance with you,
I just want to dance with you,
I just want to dance with you.


The crowd gave him a standing ovation when he was done, suddenly remembering that he was at the bar doing karaoke. Jordan almost dropped the microphone and turned bright red as he quickly made his way back to the table, much to everyone's amusement. "Dude, you just killed it", said Taylor.

"Thanks, Hallsy", he mumbled.

Irina giggled, a teasing look in her green eyes. "Did you really mean that, Jordan", she asked.

Jordan didn't think he couldn't turn any more red as he laughed nervously. "Uh, yeah", he mumbled.

Irina leaned over and kissed his cheek, Nail taking a sip of beer while he tried not to laugh. "Jordan, perhaps Taylor is right. You will need to have game if you want to court my sister", he said dryly.