Status: In Progress

A Match into Water

Chapter 12

It was finally the day she had been waiting for. The day in which she gave up living with Jordan for; a day that’s been 22 years in the making – her university convocation. She was honoured to have recognized by the university for her work in leadership as well as her contributions to the university - Results of her trying to be away from home as much as possible. An even greater honour, she was asked to prepare and deliver a speech to her fellow graduates.

She tapped her finger nervously on the chair set up for her on stage. To think that a mere four years ago, she was at her high school graduation ceremony in this very gymnasium. Amazing how things can change so quickly. Unfortunately, Jordan couldn’t make it because he had to attend the NHL awards and although Reina wished she could be there with him, she figured that she would have plenty of opportunities to go to Vegas with Jordan.

“There’s that cliché that we’re never alone in what we do but right now, I feel rather lonely up on this stage making this speech,” she said as the audience laughed, “I remember that just over four years ago, I was sitting in this very gymnasium for my high school graduation and walking across this very stage and shaking the hands of teachers after receiving my diploma, a few months later, I was again, in this gymnasium for our induction ceremony. I honestly didn’t think I would end my post-secondary in this same place as well – I guess I need a change of scenery now.” The audience laughed again.

As she made her speech flawlessly after hundreds of hours of preparation and memorization, she couldn’t help but feel her eyes well up with tears as she spoke to her peers. She spotted Evan in the crowd and basically lost it. Ten years, they had been friends and always been there for each other. She couldn’t be more thankful. She glanced over at her whole family including her older sister, glowing with pregnancy as she beamed with happiness.
At the end of the ceremony, she caught up with her family as they hugged and congratulated her through laughter and tears. Her brother picked her up like he used to when she was little as her younger sister tapped her on the shoulder and said “We have a present for you!”

“What is it?” she said eagerly as her brother put her down. “You mean, who is it?” Jordan appeared through the crowd with a huge bouquet of carnations, her favourite flower.

“Jordan!” she exhaled as she jumped into his arms and koala-hugged him, “Aren’t you supposed to be in Vegas for the awards?” she said as she kissed him.

“Yeah, but there will be other awards ceremonies. How many times will I get to see my girlfriend graduate from university?” he said with a huge smile on his face.

“I can’t believe you’re here.” She said as she pushed aside a curl of hair hanging on his forehead. “I was expecting you to fly in tomorrow morning.”

“Your speech is worth seeing. Much better than all the speeches at the Awards put together.” He kissed her as people started to notice the special guest at their graduation ceremony. “I thought it’d be nice to help you move up to Edmonton.” He smiled, still having his arms wrapped around her.
________________________________________________________________________________

The day after her convocation, Reina woke Jordan up extra early due to the excitement of her moving up to Edmonton and starting her new life with a new job and with Jordan. “Jordan,” she said into his ear as she lied on top of him, causing him to stir and smile. “Wake up, babe.” She said. He turned and rolled on top of her. “No.” he smiled again.

“C’mon.” she kissed him gently. Turning over again, he pulled her on top of him as the sheets tangled around them, “Do I have to?” he opened his eyes weakly as they adjusted to the light streaming in. “I guess I’ll just get Hallsy to help me move…” she sighed jokingly.

“No, screw that, I’m up.” He sat up, moving her into his lap. “I’ve been waiting for this day for four years - Hallsy isn’t taking this from me.” He smiled. As much as Reina’s been counting down the days to the day she moved away from home, Jordan had been doing the same but counting down the days until he would be able to see her whenever the team was in Edmonton without the need of a video camera. He’d been waiting patiently to be able to see do this every morning with her – being woken up by her gentle smile and getting ready in the morning as she cooked breakfast wearing his tshirts and her cute yoga shorts, watching her as she put on her make-up. He couldn’t wait any longer.

There wasn’t much to move as Reina would still return to Calgary every once in a while to visit her siblings and make sure things were in order. “Is this finally happening?” she sighed as she packed the last box into Jordan’s pick-up truck. “Finally.” He kissed her on the forehead before closing the door of the flatbed, “Let’s get going before you change your mind.” He laughed.

Reina agreed and slid into the car seat of her Honda Civic, “Drive safely!” she said to Jordan ahead of her in their two-car convoy. “You too.” He said before revving up his engine and pulling away from the curb as Reina followed suit.
♠ ♠ ♠
The end!!
Hope y'all enjoyed that ending. But it's not the end, I have two more special chapters to post so no worries.

Once again, thank you for reading =)