Status: In Progress

A Match into Water

Chapter 11

Wednesdays were her longest day. She only had two classes at 12 and another at 6:30 but she always stayed on campus to study or help out some of the first and second years. She was in her usual study spot – a quiet little corner hidden in the depths of the arts’ building behind a “Do Not Enter” sign that almost nobody knew about.

Even though this was her place of serenity, she couldn’t stop thinking about the drama of last night. Off in her own world, Reina didn’t notice Evan sit down across from her, “I thought I’d find you here.” He smiled gently at her, “How are you recovering after last night?” he asked, as if reading her thoughts.

“I’m fine. I just don’t know why I bother anymore. For 22 years, I keep thinking that things will maybe magically get better but no, they never do.” Reina said as she ran her fingers through her hair with frustration. “It obviously drains you in every aspect.” Evan agreed with her as he cracked open his textbook, “Is this finally the last straw?” he asked her as he flipped through the huge organic chemistry textbook.

“At this point, yes.” She said as her phone rang, “Hold on, it’s my mom.” She told Evan before answering the phone. “Hey mom,” she said reluctantly.

“Reina, it’s me.” Her dad said, “I’m using your mom’s phone because I know you won’t answer my call.” He said quickly before Reina could hang up. “Well dad, you’re right.” She said as she moved her finger towards the red button to end the call.
“Reina, do not hang up on me. Let me speak.” He said with aggression. “Fine, what is it?” she said, trying not to yell.

“I just don’t want you turning your back on me like your brother and sister. I’m sorry but it’s only because I care.” He said calmly. Reina couldn’t believe him. He knew him better than he knew himself and deep down, this apology was for his own personal pride so he can affirm that he hasn’t driven another one of his children away from him. “Dad, listen, we don’t need to have a relationship. We can be civil for the sake of mom but other than that, we don’t need to communicate.” She said with a strong tone of finality.

He didn’t reply. These were the exact words Reina’s older brother and sister had said to him before they went off with their own lives and proved him wrong. “Dad, I’m sorry, but you have to realize that we’re not little kids anymore and if you keep trying to force your own ideals on us, we will never associate ourselves with you.” She said before hanging up.

Dropping her phone onto her stacks of paper, she dropped her face into her hands. “Don’t worry, you finally stood up to him.” Evan comforted her. “Evan, I just broke my own dad’s heart, it’s difficult.” She said through her fingers.

“I get that but it has to be done. Third time’s the charm, I guess.” Evan said quietly as her phone rang again. “Now what?” she lashed out at her phone before reading the caller ID and breathing a sigh of relief.

“Hey babe,” she sighed to Jordan over the phone. “Hey, is something wrong?” he said, detecting how upset she was over the phone.

“I basically just cut off all ties with my father.” She said. “Oh babe, that’s rough but it had to be done.” He said, agreeing with her decision, “Do you want me to come down?” he asked her. “No, I’ll be fine,” she assured him. “Okay, well I’m off to the rink but you can call me anytime you want.” He informed her.

“I’ll call you later. I love you.” She said. “Love you too, babe.” He said before hanging up.

She returned her face into her hands and sighed. “Why is my life so dramatic, Evan? Why?” to which Evan laughed lightly. “Your personality is so un-theatrical that I guess the universe feels you need a little drama in your life. Just focus on school for now. Plus, how’s your speech going?” he asked her about her convocation speech she was giving.

“Full of clichés with hints of making fun of myself. I thing it fits me well.” She said, fully accepting the change in conversation. Evan laughed as he continued, “Do you know if Jordan’s coming down for convocation?”

Reina hadn’t even thought about asking Jordan. She assumed he’d just be there. “I completely forgot to ask him.” She said as she reached for her phone again and speed-dialling Jordan. “Hey babe, I know you’re on your way out but I was wondering if you’d be coming to my convocation? Yeah, I’ll be making my speech. The 21st of June…” she paused as she waited for him to check his schedule, “Oh, that’s fine. Yeah, we’ll celebrate another time.” She said with disappointment. “Yeah, have a good skate. Love you too.” She hung up.

“That didn’t sound good.” Evan said without looking up from his notes. “It’s the day of the NHL awards in Vegas and he says he can’t make any promises until he finds out if he’s nominated for anything.” She pouted. “It’s not a for sure no.” Evan said calmly. “You’re right, but he’s such an overachiever, I can see him getting an award.” She sighed. “Then skip out and go to Vegas - that sounds like a lot more fun.” Evan joked
♠ ♠ ♠
So that's the second last chapter. BUT I have two special chapters lined up and I'm going to start posting my Tom Daley fic after I wrap this one up.

As always, thanks for reading!