Status: Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing!!!

Do You Love Me?

Return Of The Rat

Mallory shuffled through the doors of Aberdeen High School. She made a face when she took notice of the jock and preppy types that lingered near the entrance. She sighed and headed towards the front office to get her schedule and find her locker. Luckily she was pretty smart and had all A’s in her last school so she would be able to graduate in the winter instead of having to wait until spring like the rest of the seniors at Aberdeen.

“Mally?” A small voice spoke as she picked her schedule up off the counter.

The jet-black haired girl turned around to find a small blonde who had to be only a few years younger than her. The young blonde peered up at her from under her bangs and smiled.

“Yes?” Mallory furrowed her eyebrows not sure who the blonde was.

The blonde smiled, “You don’t remember me?”

“Um, no sorry”

She giggled softly, “Kimberly. Kurt’s little sister.”

“Kimmy!” Mallory exclaimed and wrapped her arms around the young girl that had spent almost as much time with her as Kurt did (but not quite).

Kimberly nodded, “You look the same, but different. In a good way.”

“Thanks, so do you.”

It was quiet a moment as the two walked down the hallway where the dingy grey lockers were. The senior hall was obviously mostly full of jocks from all of the flyers about basketball posted on the lockers. Mallory quickly found her assigned locker and set her bag inside before speaking to Kimberly again who quietly watched the older girl.

“How’s Kurt?” She hesitated a second.

Mallory had heard about their parent’s divorce and wondered what he had been up to.

“He’s doing okay. Mom kicked him out after he dropped out and I haven’t seen him in a while. He usually sneaks in the basement if he needs a place to crash. Otherwise he stays with friends. If you need to find him, he’s either under the bridge over the Wishkah River or at almost any concert. He’s trying to start up a band.”

She nodded at Kimberly as the bell rang telling the students that it was time to head off to their first period.

“I’ll see you at lunch.” Kimberly smiled then sent Mallory a small wave before running off in the opposite direction.

[img] http://jasonandnancy.com/images/img_PageDivider.jpg [/img]

The day passed quickly for Mallory. In each class she was introduced then allowed to take a seat in the back, ignoring all the stares which quickly faded. When she answered a question, all eyes were on her, and then they would go back to the front of the class or out the window. It was like she existed only for a moment, then she would just blend into the scenery. Mallory remained silent and didn’t try to make friends. For what purpose would she need friends? She’d grown accustomed to being alone.

When her mother and father decided to move her to Oregon she found that it was sometimes better to be alone then to feel alone in a group of people. Her parents began to notice that she was a bit anti-social and finally agreed to let her move back but this time she’d be alone. They gave her money for food and a small apartment. So from now on it would just be Mallory, her cat Jude, and occasional phone calls from her parents to make sure that she was doing alright.

Mallory pushed her way through the day. The only part she found enjoyable was art class and lunch with Kimberly. Kimberly and Mallory were a lot different though. Kimberly liked to talk while Mallory just listened, once in a while she’d grunt or nod to let the blonde know that she was listening. Kimberly was very enthusiastic about Mallory being back, she was already telling her about what had happened since she left. Apparently Kurt was starting to be more of an artist. He also had been arrested for spray painting ‘Ain’t got no how watchamacallit’ on someone’s truck.

The more Kimberly talked about Kurt, the more Mallory wanted to just skip school the rest of the day and go find him. He sounded even more rebellious then when she had last seen him. She could remember vividly the night that she told him she was moving. He screamed angrily at her and stormed off then later came back and tried to hide her in his room. He promised he could keep her in there and then when the coast was clear she could come out and sleep in his bed with him, and he’d bring her food and sneak her into the bathroom when she needed to go. But of course things like that don’t work because her parents called his and demanded that she be brought home right that instant. Eventually his mother found her hiding in the closet and dragged her and Kurt down the street to her house. That night Mallory watched Kurt cry and swear at his mother. She slapped him so hard across the face that she thought his head might roll off of his neck. He gave Mallory one last hug before her parents dragged her inside and made her go to bed. When she woke up in the morning to leave she found a small note on the door step that said Do you love me? Mallory wrote yes. then left the note right where he had set it in hopes that he would find it.

After all of these years, Mallory still wondered if he found it. If he even thought about her or cared about what she was up to. She assumed she’d find out pretty soon anyways, since she had decided to take a little trip to Wishkah River after school.