Status: New updates will be coming pretty quickly right now, but should slow down shortly.

Book One: Spirits

Scholars and Thieves

Kari was excited to bathe for the first time in what felt like ages. She was also excited to be dressed in nice clothes again - Shu had kindly offered her clothing to borrow while staying at her parents’ house after taking the time to clean up as well. Everyone took the morning to train or meditate, but before setting out for Ba Sing Se University, Rikkako and Karizibi made a quick detour to the post office. Both stood facing each other, making certain that the other couldn’t see what was written.

“Kari,” the firebender’s letter was addressed. “It’s good to hear from you and good to know you are doing well on your travels. The deaths of your captured foes appears odd indeed. However, news of Earth Kingdom matters seldom reach our ears in the Fire Nation, so I’m afraid we cannot offer much insight in regards to your run-ins with the Earth Kingdom Nationalists.” Kari frowned. Lately, her friends didn’t seem as though they would be much help, but there was more to the letter.

“It is said that it is possible that questions asked of the Eternal Flame may be answered. But this is mostly regarded as myth even by many of us. It is also said that Huo Long can hear any plea spoken into any open flame, regardless of location. But this, too, is merely lore and has never been confirmed.” Karizibi’s eyes lit up. “I have spoken with people from our city. They say that some of the elders, the ones that claim to be able to tell of Huo Long’s movements by observing the eternal flame, have seen him coming and going much more frequently than usual. Interpret that as you will...” The rest of the letter contained pleasantries that Kari skimmed through.

“Rikkako,” The waterbender’s letter was addressed. “It is good to hear from you. I expect by the time you receive this you will have arrived in Ba Sing Se. Give Professor Yin my regards. Aang’s state has not changed. I trust that my husband will be okay, but the children are beginning to worry. Hopefully you and your friends’ investigation will shed light on the situation.” The rest of the letter contained stories of Katara’s relationship with Aang and some advice on maintaining a relationship that the waterbender didn’t find too terribly helpful.

After scribbling hurried replies and handing them off, the two set off for the University. There, the party split again: while Kari and Shu began their search for Professor Yin, Yoshiro and Rika opted to check out the Airbending exposition. Both reached their destinations within a matter of a few minutes.

After being greeted by the receptionist in the department of anthropology and archaeology, Kari and Shu were quickly escorted into the office of Professor Yin. It was completely disheveled - every available surface was stacked with parchment, tomes and scrolls, each with notes littered across them. The middle aged professor had a similar appearance: notes scrawled across limbs, messy hair and a poorly put together outfit.

“Hello!” she smiled warmly, standing at her desk. “Can I help you?”

“My name is Karizibi Shinu,” Kari introduced herself. “I was sent by Katara on behalf of the Avatar to speak with you.”

“Ah!” she moved around the desk to properly greet both of the young benders. “I’ve been expecting you! Come in, come in!” she began to shuffle stacks of papers around, slowly uncovering two chairs.
“Have a seat!” she offered, moving back to her own chair.

“Katara showed keen interest in you,” Kari had the feeling that Professor Yin was beginning to look at her more like an artifact and less like a person. “Would you mind explaining your situation?” With a deep breath, Kari once again recited her story from the beginning.

As Yoshiro and Rikkako entered the exhibit, they were amazed by the ancient artifacts that surrounded them, but one in particular caught the airbender’s eye: a glider.

“I’ve heard of these...” he rushed over to the placard listing details about the item. “Airbenders used these to fly. I’ve always wanted one, but no one knows how to make them anymore.” As he glanced back up at the glider, Rika caught a mischievous glint in his eye.

“You aren’t thinking about-” His smile grew, cutting her question short. “Fine. But don’t get yourself caught! I’ll go distract the crowd.”

“It sounds to me as though you were spirit touched.” Professor Yin offered. “Due to Huo Long’s actions, you are now able to see spirits. It shouldn’t be anything to worry about.” Karizibi nodded, not certain that she believed the woman - this ability had caused plenty of problems already. “Your experiences are certainly unique, however...” the woman appeared to be debating something. “We discovered an underground temple in the city that we will be opening to explore in a few days. We require some extra assistance, and I believe that you and your friends might be just the people we need. Are you interested?” Kari looked to Shu who only shrugged.

“I don’t see why not.” Karizibi offered.

“I will send word when we are ready.” the woman stood to shake both girls’ hands once more. On their way out, Kari paused at the front desk, remembering something suddenly.

“Could you direct me to the engineering department?” she requested of the young woman seated there.

“My leg!” Rikkako shrieked, dropping to the floor and grasping at the limb. Yoshiro didn’t think this display was very convincing, however, everyone’s attention had turned to the waterbender. He took the opportunity while it lasted, using his airbending to launch himself up onto the glider, which he caught with one arm. Unfortunately, this didn’t snap the ropes as he had hoped and he found himself dangling off one of its wings.

“Hey!” Someone called from below. “I don’t think you should be up there!”

“Uh...” Yo was caught off guard, and he scrambled for a response “Go get help!” he cried out.

“Okay!” The man yelled, hurrying off. Both Rika and Yoshiro were incredulous that this simple distraction actually worked, but neither was arguing. With a little more airbending, the glider was freed and Yoshiro landed with a loud thud.

“OH, THE AGONY!” Rikkako shrieked noticing a few people losing interest. The airbender was able to make a getaway before the man could return with a guard and by that point, Rika was picking herself up off the ground, limping off. The two had made a clean getaway.

“I need to speak with the head of this department.” Karizibi asked of the woman at the engineering department’s front desk. “I have a blueprint I need analyzed. It’s in relation to an open investigation within the military involving Earth Kingdom Nationalists. I believe it’s some sort of weapon.” The woman happily escorted the two girls into an office.”

“Come!” he beckoned them. In stark contrast to Yin’s office, this man’s was immaculate. Everything was organized in some manner or another, based on height or alphabet, and not a spec of dust could be found.

“I need to know what this is.” Kari handed the charred remains of the blueprints over to the professor.

“Well, by the looks of what’s left of it, this appears to have been drawn up in the last year or so.” He placed the paper underneath a magnifying lens. “It also seems to indicate some sort of arrows or rockets propelled by powder...Unfortunately, I can’t make out much else. What did you say this was in regard to?”

“Military business.” Kari shrugged. “I can’t say I really understand myself, and I’ll be turning it into them later today. Thank you for your assistance.” She took the paper back, turning to Shu. “One last stop, I promise.”

Rikkako and Yoshiro made only two quick stops before returning to Shu’s house. Once there, they hurriedly removed their supplies from their bag and laid out their project in front of them.

“I don’t suppose you have much experience painting?” Yoshiro asked Rika, somewhat helplessly.

“This is all you.” Rikkako shook her head. Yo sighed, picking up a brush, not sure where to start.

The guards seemed hesitant to let the two girls in. However, much to Shu’s delight, and Kari’s dismay, they were greeted by someone who was happy to help them in.

“Ping!” Shu greeted the woman with a smile. “How are you doing?”

“I’m fine.” the woman smiled back, but was clearly suspicious. “What are you two doing here?”

“I have something I need to deliver to the General.” Kari checked her nail polish, suddenly extremely concerned about a small chip in the color. “We recovered some blueprints during our last attack by the Earth Kingdom Nationalists. It completely slipped my mind.” Ping waved at the guards and the gates were opened to which the firebender rolled her eyes. They followed her through a maze of corridors, the uniformed men stepping out of Ping’s way without question, before finally arriving in a small room. Kari recognized the general sitting at the front of this room, who immediately stood to greet them.

“Ping! I was expecting you! And, ah...” He stared at Kari, clearly at a loss for her name. She bit her tongue, adding to her list of reasons for despising Ping.

“Kari.” she helped him out, offering a fake smile.

“Right, of course! The inventory was completed and it turns out that the only thing missing from the ship was bamboo.”

“That makes sense considering what I discovered at the last attack.” Kari stepped forward, handing him the charred blueprints. “It appears to be some sort of weapon involving bamboo cannons used to propel arrows or rockets.”

“Thank you for bringing me this.” The document seemed to be causing him some concern. “Was there anything else you needed?”

“That would be all.” Kari continued her fake smile. “I trust you’ll keep me informed of any progress in this matter?”

“Certainly.” she couldn’t be sure if the general was being legitimate, or simply brushing her off, but Kari accepted the response and led the way back out.

“Before I forget,” Ping stopped her at the gate. “I was asked to give you this as a reward for your services.” she placed a small pouch of coins in the firebender’s hand.

“Thanks.” Kari grumbled, about to turn and walk away before Ping stopped her.

“How are your matters in Ba Sing Se going?” she inquired.

“They’re going.” she stared at the other woman, clearly unamused. Shu made a noise.

“We’re going back to my house.” she discretely elbowed her friend for her rudeness. “You should come hang out!” Ping gave the girl a genuine smile.

“I’d love to, but I’m afraid I have business to attend to here.”

“That’s fine.” Shu’s face fell a little. “I understand.” she quickly scribbled her address down and handed it to the woman. “You can drop by anytime.” At that, the two departed.

“Where did you get the flying...thing.” Shu raised a brow at Yoshiro’s new possession.

“I made it.” He quickly covered. Before Shu could press any further, or notice the smell of wet paint, Rikkako chimed in.

“Look what I got!” she dangled a puppet out in front of her, forcing it to do a fairly decent rendition of the can-can.

“A puppet?” Kari clearly didn’t understand where this was headed. Rika only winked in return and, suddenly, it clicked - practice for blood bending. She nodded.

“Hey, who wants tea?” Kari asked, distracting the group from the waterbender.