Melodies

Chapter 11: Sydney

Nothing sucks more than starting your day with math. Except maybe like, starving and dying and such, but whatever. Math. Sucks.

I have Trig first block on B days. Kell's the only person in there that I know. We sit by each other, but we usually don't speak. He actually pays attention and follows along in the lesson, and I kind of space out and draw shit on my notes.

Today, though, there's a substitute at Ms. Love's desk, looking pissy, like someone called him in at the last minute and he had better things to do. He gives Kell's hair an eye-roll when he comes in just seconds before the bell rings, before slowly moving to the head of the classroom.

He tiredly introduces himself as Mr. Martin and tells us that there isn't actually a lesson for today. "Ms. Love says she appreciates all the hard work and that she's chosen to give you a free day."

After attendance and setting out the basic "keep it down to a low roar" rules, he sits back at Ms. Love's desk and starts to mess around on his phone.

Kell stares at him in disbelief. "Of all of the days for me to have finished my homework for every class I have today."

I laugh a little. "Well, at least it's finished? So you won't have to rush to get it done now. You can relax for once."

"Or we could try to get a practice room." His eye widen, then his face drops and he sighs. "We can't. There's no music class first block, so there's no one in the art wing. The janitors never open a room for me."

"Are you sure? Doesn't Ms. Black have choir?"

"She does first block on A days. The only person I can think of who would let us in one is Mr. Roberts, and I don't even know if he has a key."

"I don't think he does. I've asked him before."

"Well, shit."

My phone buzzed in my pocket just as Kell responded. I pulled it out and read the text from Courtney: "library as soon as you can. bring Kell if you want. no excuses, we know you have a sub"

I shoved my phone back into my pocket. "Wanna go to the library?"

"Sure, but why?"

"Courtney wants us, apparently."

~

Courtney, Kim, Elizabeth, and Ashton had claimed the couch area by the time we were in the library.

"How'd you know that we had a substitute?"

Ashton looked up. "Ms. Love told us yesterday that she'd be out today."

I set my stuff down on the small table in the center of the seating area, Kell following my actions. I took a chair by Ashton, and Courtney pulled Kell down next to her on the couch. She beamed at him. "This is the first time in forever that I've seen you not doing something productive. I'm proud."

Ashton cleared his throat awkwardly. "Listen, Kell, Alex feels bad about what he's been doing. We really beat it into him last night that he was being an idiot, and I think he got the idea. He was going to say so himself, but he isn't here today."

Kell nodded once. "It's okay."

Courtney nudged Kell with her shoulder. "No more seriousness, okay? Let's just be dumb for an hour. It's going to be break soon, and I want to get used to the feeling of doing nothing."

Kim rolled her eyes. "You never do anything."

"That doesn't mean I'm used to it. And Sydney never does anything either, pick on him."

I put a hand to my chest, pretending to be aghast at the thought. "I do lots of things!"

Next to Courtney, Kell was quietly counting things off on his fingers. Courtney laughed.

I looked at them. "What's funny?"

Courtney smiled and looked at Kell, who shook his head. She turned to me. "You smoke, you daydream, you swear, you lose pencils, you doodle, and you sleep. So I guess you're not wrong."

A ringtone played, and Kell pulled a phone from the front pocket of his backpack. He answered it quickly, and quietly. The conversation carried on without him, but I was listening to only what he was saying.

"Hey?" "I'm in the library, we had a sub in Trig." "Yeah, are you okay?"

His face twisted in concern. "Which floor are you on?" "The one by Mr. Fitch's room or the other one?" "Yeah, I'll be there in a minute. Just stay where you are."

He stood up, excusing himself. I seemed to be the only one who noticed how upset and worried he looked when he left.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm picking this up again. I won't promise consistency of updates or anything, but reviews, subscribers, and comments always help