Status: On Hiatus

I'll Be Right Beside You

Eight

Becka

Jordan was getting desperate now – he’d been calling every night that he hadn’t spent with Cam, because she’d started pulling away from everybody. I’d all but moved in with Sidney in the first week of the season, because it was the only way we could spend time together between my classes, work and his hockey. I hadn’t realized how badly things were getting with Cam – anytime we texted or talked on the phone she sounded all right, even though I knew from following their games that she was struggling on the ice. But now I was starting to really worry, because even Sidney had asked about her. Jordan worried about her constantly whether he needed to or not, so I hadn’t thought much of it. Now I was.

“I just don’t know what to do,” he worried, sounding close to tears even through the phone. “She left to go to CONSOL about an hour and a half ago, and she’d already worked out this morning. I’m worried Becka,”

“I’ll phone her Jordan, just take a deep breath,” I instructed him, and heard him comply.

“Now, relax, do something that’ll take your mind off of it for a minute or two, and I’ll call her, okay?”

“Okay, thanks Becka,” he replied, and then hung up. I took a deep breath and leaned against the kitchen counter, trying to get my thoughts together. Sidney got up from the couch and wrapped his arms around me, letting me rest my head against his shoulder and lean on him.

“You all right?” he asked, softly rubbing my arm.

“I don’t know Sid – Jordan called, he’s really freaking out about Cam,” I told him, biting my lip slightly. He pulled me in closer and began rubbing my back, knowing how frightened I was. Cam was my best friend, and had been for as long as we could remember; she was like my sister.

“Why? What happened?”

“She’s at CONSOL for the second time today – he said she left an hour and a half ago and she’s still not back,” I continued, and he let out a long breath, hugging me tighter. This had been hard on him as well, seeing Jordan's pain through this, and while I tried to hide it from him, I knew Sid was aware of how scared I was. I just didn't want him to have more to deal with on his plate right now, but it was difficult, and I knew he didn't tell me how much he knew, trying to make it easier on me as well.

“That’s not healthy,” he slowly allowed, and I swallowed hard, immediately thinking back to when her Uncle told us about her first year of Junior A. Nobody around her had had any idea of what she was doing to herself until she’d been admitted to the hospital for exhaustion, and even then most of us didn’t know why. It had been a shock and a half at Sullivan’s to hear the truth about it, and I couldn’t believe she hadn’t just told me about it. Even worse than how I felt was seeing the look on Jordan's face - I thought the poor guy was going to burst into tears right then and there.

“I’m scared Sidney…” I admitted, my voice quiet and tears threatening to flow. He kissed the top of my head, and pulled me in closer, knowing exactly what I needed.

“It’ll be okay Becks,” he whispered. All I could do was hold him tighter and hope he was right as I reached for the phone.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... a little change up? Haha, I wanted to get an outside view here, and I thought Becka would be a good way to do it! I'm bad at keeping up with her and Sidney in this story (I'm working on it, I promise!) Because I tend to get lost in the plot and the main characters that center around it, so I apologize! But please let me know what you're thinking! :)